Does V Festival need to change?

Guest Dirty_Dave

With Glastonbury around the corner it got me thinking – why aren’t other festivals so ‘free spirited’ with regards to relaxing the rules and being more fun; in particular -

a) Taking your own booze into the ‘arena’ cos lets face it, no one likes having to cue for a token then queue again for an overpriced beer….there is nothing ‘festival’ about that.

B) Closing the site down at 11pm!!! Who wants to retire back to their tent pre-midnight. Yes, they have the ‘fun fair’ (whoopy do) open and a comedy stage (great) but where are the dance tents and things like Shangri-La from Glasto.

Maybe I have a little blinkered vision on because I feel in love with Glasto – but I cant understand why these little changes would give people much more enjoyment and be able to relax more rather that having to clock watch and sneak booze around the site.

Hummmmm

Apart from the OK lineup what are the Pro’s of going to V because I may have over looked them? Do you think V needs changing for the better or do you prefer the restrictions?

V needs to get rid of all the T4 on the beach type acts and stick to what it used to be good at. I love the place and I have a ticket but the line up is an absolute shocker. This will be my last one and I'll be taking peoples advice and "f**king off to Leeds".

V needs to get rid of all the T4 on the beach type acts and stick to what it used to be good at. I love the place and I have a ticket but the line up is an absolute shocker. This will be my last one and I'll be taking peoples advice and "f**king off to Leeds".

I love both Glastonbury and V festival and completely disagree with you don't think V needs to change at all. They sell out every single year so why do they need to change? :blink: They're obviously doing something right. Yes it would be lovely to be able to take your own beer into to the arena but other than Glasto I have never been to another festival that allows it so it's not just V! I also don't need to be drunk to have a good time the bands are enough for me so this doesn't really bother me too much plus smuggling in a few can's is part of the fun anyway! The closing down of the site at 11 also doesn't bother me. In fact sitting in the campsite with my mates after the arena has closed is one of my favourite parts of the fesitval. I never understand why people bang on about this because surely if you have a great bunch of mates you can pre occupy yourselves for a few hours? What you also need to remember is V is an urban area with houses around the site, licencing laws restrict them from having late night entertainment on so that it doesn't upset the neighbours.

Edited by xxtinkerbellxx

With Glastonbury around the corner it got me thinking – why aren’t other festivals so ‘free spirited’ with regards to relaxing the rules and being more fun; in particular -

a) Taking your own booze into the ‘arena’ cos lets face it, no one likes having to cue for a token then queue again for an overpriced beer….there is nothing ‘festival’ about that.

B) Closing the site down at 11pm!!! Who wants to retire back to their tent pre-midnight. Yes, they have the ‘fun fair’ (whoopy do) open and a comedy stage (great) but where are the dance tents and things like Shangri-La from Glasto.

Maybe I have a little blinkered vision on because I feel in love with Glasto – but I cant understand why these little changes would give people much more enjoyment and be able to relax more rather that having to clock watch and sneak booze around the site.

Hummmmm

Apart from the OK lineup what are the Pro’s of going to V because I may have over looked them? Do you think V needs changing for the better or do you prefer the restrictions?

Does V need to change? It has changed & they're reaping the benefits. Up until around 2007 V was essentially the same as R&L with a smattering of pop acts instead of the lock-up/dance tent but without a comedy/alternative tent. Download & the newly emerging Sonisphere have got the rock market cornered between them & the V people saw a gap in the market for a more T4/chart music festival & the results speak for themselves. R&L still hasn't sold out this year yet V has! Bear in mind that V has 1 less full day of bands & far worse facilities/entertainment than the likes of Download/R&L, so their costs are substantially less yet still charges the same price, in a market near saturation V is still raking it in.

apart from glasto v is the only major festival to sell out this year in england, so not it doesnt need to change.

you just need to go to other fests if it doesnt tick your box. it would take something special for me to get back to v, but saying that it would take something special to get me back to t or reading/leeds aswel. apart form glastonbury id only go back to the other biggie fests if radiohead/bjork played them.

not a criticism but they dont cut it for me, but I am 37 so im not the market there after.

roll on rock werchter next week woo hoo

Hummmmm

I have just been to glastonbury for the first time after only ever going to V and yes I think does need to change. Nothing like Glastonbury but just basic things that should and could be provided

toilets- the toilet situation was far better at Glastonbury and there were even flushing toilets if you wanted. We only saw a few people using the walls etc, at V everyone is doing it. Glastonbury has lots of toilets therefore no queues.

Rubbish- again lots of rubbish bins every where at Glastonbury, much more in proportion to V

campervan areas- The waste for the portoloos was emptied far more frequently, we left Sunday night and it had just been emptied ready for Monday. At V they do not seem to empty them

programmes- Not only were the stage times on the website a few days before Glastonbury, you also were given a free programme and neck thing with the times in. At V the only easy way you can see stage times is by buying a programme and neck band

help- the helpers at Glastonbury were helpers, we had to get towed by a tractor and that was free unlike V were they charged us

Lock ups- Glastonbury provide lots of free areas where you can leave stuff unlike V who only do small lockers at a charge.

All of the above just looks like V organisers just look at pound signs and not consider the punter.

I loved V a few years ago but the line up would have to be really good to make me go back. We have bought early bird tickets for the last few years but will not be this year and will wait for the Line up

I think V should become a 3 day event, in the same format as T in the Park, with the first day having less bands and coming on later. I think they need to bring back the rockier acts lower down the bill next year, and ditch the charts music that is dominating V's lineup this year, with acts like The Wanted who should be playing events like T4 on the Beach and Party in the Park, and not a traditionally indie festival, that should be targeting the same sort of bands that R&L do.

For example this year i think V should have someone like The Cribs playing instead of Scouting for Girls, and someone like The Offspring even, bands like this would bring back the rock roots of V. The sales have been better than R&L this year, clearly as it sold out almost instantly, but i think V needs to have a transition with the absence of Glasto, having a 3 day event, and more rock at the festival.

I think V should become a 3 day event, in the same format as T in the Park, with the first day having less bands and coming on later. I think they need to bring back the rockier acts lower down the bill next year, and ditch the charts music that is dominating V's lineup this year, with acts like The Wanted who should be playing events like T4 on the Beach and Party in the Park, and not a traditionally indie

festival, that should be targeting the same sort of bands that R&L do.

For example this year i think V should have someone like The Cribs playing instead of Scouting for Girls, and

someone like The Offspring even, bands like this would bring back the rock roots of V. The sales have been better than R&L this year, clearly as it sold out almost instantly, but i think V needs to have a transition with the absence of Glasto, having a 3 day event, and more rock at the festival.

As a customer i think certain aspects need to change, but if i was promoter i wouldnt change a thing - sells out very quickly so they have acheived their goals.

Im not going this year, the festival has been getting worse each year - with what seems to be more and more people allowed in and not much extra space. The line up isnt what i like anymore - but then im in my 30's now and the music i like, is no longer filling the charts up - peoples tastes change over the years.

Where V does need to change is little things like annouincing stage times - we pay a lot of money for tickets especially when you consider the prices of 3 days festies - and to not be allowed the times that bands are on is just a kick in the balls.

I know this is off-topic, but the IoW is part of England. In much the same way that Skye, Jura, Bute, Arran etc... are all part of Scotland. Obviously it isn't part of mainland England, but it is still part of England.

It's a different situation with the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey (which are Crown dependencies, and not part of England).

Does it need to change in order to continue to sell out? No- I actually think the organisers have been quite smart, although V is no longer to my taste, they noticed the gap in the market for a predominantly pop/top 40 chart festival- which is the popular music among the majority of teenagers (unfortunately!) and of course festivals are now the cool thing to do, so the 'new' V Festival fits perfectly into that demographic!

Does it need to change to convince me to return? Yes.

As pointed out before, V has changed, it evolved to fill the gap in the market and is VERY successful, those who fell in love with V of old, the V we fell in love with is dead.

Theres plently of festivals out there which can offer you what you want.

I very much doubt I'll be going to V again, unless they book a amazing bill of acts, or maybe get Radiohead back like in 2006 [even though thats the worst ive seen them play live]