2013 Headliners

Guest shangri-la_steward

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really worried about the 2013 line up. There doesnt seem to be much decent stuff around at the moment (from bands who are considered to be of a size who could play on the pyramid). Might the walkmen get a pyramid slot? Hope so.

The pyramid and other stage will be a no-go areas again this year. I think they will be full of pop acts. Sad, as I did used to like to see acts on the big stages

hmmm well I hope you're right.

Have the national got a new album out soon I wonder? Seems a while since their last one was out. Arcade fire are due one too arent they?

I do thank god there was no glasto this year looking around the other festival line ups though.

All I seem to listen to these days is david bowie's a reality tour album.

havent Rolling Stones ruled themselves out?

Ive always been hopeful for Depeche Mode and the 'unofficial' dates for next years tour look half decent. Although maybe theyre past the Pyramid headline era. After pet Shop Boys great headline on the other stage I remain hopeful for that.

Arcade Fire would be great.

I think there needs to be an exlusive act to headline at least one day.

not liking the Elbow and Stone Roses suggestions as they will be old hat by next June.

Radiohead, as always suggested. pulp would be great.

Prince is always top of my list and would be the great Sunday night name.

I'm presuming a female name. So Adele or gaga

havent Rolling Stones ruled themselves out?

Ive always been hopeful for Depeche Mode and the 'unofficial' dates for next years tour look half decent. Although maybe theyre past the Pyramid headline era. After pet Shop Boys great headline on the other stage I remain hopeful for that.

Arcade Fire would be great.

I think there needs to be an exlusive act to headline at least one day.

not liking the Elbow and Stone Roses suggestions as they will be old hat by next June.

Radiohead, as always suggested. pulp would be great.

Prince is always top of my list and would be the great Sunday night name.

I'm presuming a female name. So Adele or gaga

sadly I'd say the era of true legends playing glastonbury ended in 2010 with stevie wonder.

It's desperately sad to think that the likes of bowie, mccartney, neil young, pink floyd, len cohen, led zep, the who will never play glastonbury again (I think). Who are the bands/artists around today who will be the legends of the future?

There arent any.

sadly I'd say the era of true legends playing glastonbury ended in 2010 with stevie wonder.

It's desperately sad to think that the likes of bowie, mccartney, neil young, pink floyd, len cohen, led zep, the who will never play glastonbury again (I think). Who are the bands/artists around today who will be the legends of the future?

There arent any.

Pyramid -

Friday - Artic Monkies supported by Elbow

Saturday - Lady GaGa supported by Panic! At the disco

Sunday - Rolling Stones supported by Noel Gallagher

Other Stage -

Friday - Kasabian supported by Avril Lavigne

Saturday - Plan B supported by Chase and Status

Sunday - Blondie supported by Tom Jones

Edited by sizzlefee

There arent any.

Pyramid -

Friday - Artic Monkies supported by Elbow

Saturday - Lady GaGa supported by Panic! At the disco

Sunday - Rolling Stones supported by Noel Gallagher

Other Stage -

Friday - Kasabian supported by Avril Lavigne

Saturday - Plan B supported by Chase and Status

Sunday - Blondie supported by Tom Jones

Edited by LondonTom

But you can't tell an act are legendary at the time. You wouldn't have deemed any of those legendary at the time. It's only as that generation has got older that they've began to be viewed as legendary. It's an age old thing, eventually we all turn into the "it's all noise" and "it was better in my day" crowd.

Jack White is maybe one of the only people who springs to my mind as possibly being in that caliber. I can imagine an aging White tearing up the Pyramid Stage in a Neil Young type glastonbury performance in a 20 years or so.

Agree though, nothing else really springs to mind.

ok, who is even half way to being a bowie or a beatles or any of the others?

who these days has put out 4 or so brilliant albums? noone.

By the time bowie released ziggy stardust I'm pretty sure people realised he was going to be remembered forever. That was his 5th album after 5 years of being around properly.

Likewise the beatles, likewise the stones etc etc.

No band for god knows how long has put out 5 albums of a quality that makes you think "these will be headlining glastonbury in 35 years time"

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

I don't think that's true (and I think Bowie's persona had more to do with him being remembered forever, which leads onto people like Gaga).

There's many artists/acts which are only starting to be seen now as legendary, and that's always the case. Music isn't always appreciated at the time.

I think your point about acts who could headline Glasto in 35 years time is true, but it's because acts/artists are more likely to split/retire these days. You could have one record, and earn a living off that, where as back then, even getting number ones meant you didn't earn much.

As well as the obvious ones like Radiohead, White Stripes etc. you've got people like Eminem, Gaga, West, Arctics to a certain extent, Oasis (rightly or wrongly). There's many out there who will be looked on as legendary, but the people who would view them as "legendary" aren't really the next generation yet. When you get into 2020/2030, you'll see how music from these decades are viewed.

I'd have thought the exact opposite is closer to the truth. How many sales gets an artist to number one these days?

and you'd know :P .... how much do you still earn from your one hit? Do you get decent PRS cheques, nowt at all, or something in the middle?

Personally, I wish someone in my family had written an xmas song about 50 years ago - I could then spend my life with my feet up living off my ancestors, exactly as some are doing.