People who were born in the year..

Guest bamber

I was born in 1981 (30 in a few weeks) - and I felt old when there were a load of whippers getting drunk in a bar next to us at Sonisphere who turned out to be all born in 1994! :O

I first realised I was getting old a good few years ago now when I bounced into my office having see a poster advertising a Peter Green concert in Cardiff. One of the young lads, who was quite into music (he went on to manage several bands) said "Who?"

So the next day I took him in a Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac album (it was vinyl in those days) and said "Listen to this and you'll understand."

He looked at the cover and said "This was recorded before I was born." I felt old.

I was going to Glasto for a good few years before many posters here were born but it's great to see a new generation coming along and keeping things going.

Being 30 really doesn't have to be depressing. I appreciate that it is impossible to believe until you get there, but your 30s are the best years. They are sort of like your 20s with money and confidence! After surviving 30 without any great trauma, I barely noticed hitting 40!

However - like the OP says - realising there are now 30 year olds who were born after you left school is - well, not even depressing, just plain odd! There are people born after I left school who are thinking THEY are old - that is ridiculous!

Age is still mainly in your head - certainly attitude to age is. I went through the serious career building phase and have come out the other side where now I think more and more about winding down and enjoying myself - planning more festivals and holidays.

Age is still mainly in your head - certainly attitude to age is. I went through the serious career building phase and have come out the other side where now I think more and more about winding down and enjoying myself - planning more festivals and holidays.

Edited by fatyeti24

Being 30 really doesn't have to be depressing. I appreciate that it is impossible to believe until you get there, but your 30s are the best years. They are sort of like your 20s with money and confidence! After surviving 30 without any great trauma, I barely noticed hitting 40!

However - like the OP says - realising there are now 30 year olds who were born after you left school is - well, not even depressing, just plain odd! There are people born after I left school who are thinking THEY are old - that is ridiculous!

Maybe. I didn't get on the housing ladder til I was 37! I get the impression that young people today think they are the first not to be able to afford to buy a house whereas in truth, they're just the first to think that everyone should be able to buy a house. I always thought of owning my own home as an aspiration rather than a right.

I left home at 18 because I was prepared to live in a rat infested bed sit sharing a bathroom with 5 strangers, to escape my parents (who weren't even bad parents - it was just natural to want to get away from your parents then), not because I had heaps of disposable income. I rented some awful places over the years, although steadily imroving with each move, until I had a good enough job and was debt free enough to buy, and that was in my late 30s, in between my first holidays abroad, finally learning to drive and getting my first car. To be fair - my early 30s were better than the house and car owning later ones - so maybe there is something to be said for not buying into all that. I was really very happy in the last flat I rented.

Of course students are ending up with more and more debt than in the past, but I would still imagine most to be seeing more light at the end of the tunnel in their 30s than in their 20s. Probably earning more, probably nearer to paying it off. It won't be the same for everyone, but increased earning potential and gradually decreasing student debt would surely still happen?