The Dirty Independence Question

Kyelo

9 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Take home would be more like £36k, you have forgotten about NI, But many people will not pay this new higher tax rate, it would make more sense to pay more into a private pension and get the tax relief and avoid the tax. This is the thing governments forget when they think they can generate more income through tax, there are almost always ways to mitigate paying the higher tax, the highest earners can afford the best tax advice to reduce their liability. It probably won't generate as much as they think and will make them unpopular.

My apologies, you are correct, I missed NI. And I fully accept there is always a question mark as to how much tax rises actually raise in practice. We shall just have to wait and see.

21 minutes ago, LJS said:

I am writing this from hospital where I have spent the past week being cared for by NHS Scotland. My treatment has been superb from start to finish & there is nothing I would improve (apart from the food)

Equally the much maligned Scottish education system has educated my 3 kids in 3 different areas of the country. All the schools were excellent and I have absolutely no complaints.

I would point out to those upset at paying a wee bit more tax that they would likely pay more to buy a house elsewhere in the UK & then have to pay more council tax.

They would also have to pay for their prescriptions and if they have kids going to uni, they would have to stump up for tuition fees. So they are probably still better off up here.

Your argument is that you got good hospital treatment and your kids went to a good school therefore public services are fine? Wow 

Also 90 percent of people don’t pay prescriptions in England. And most parents certainly aren’t paying for their kids to go to uni, the kids will have a student loan. 

21 minutes ago, LJS said:

I am writing this from hospital where I have spent the past week being cared for by NHS Scotland. My treatment has been superb from start to finish & there is nothing I would improve (apart from the food)

Equally the much maligned Scottish education system has educated my 3 kids in 3 different areas of the country. All the schools were excellent and I have absolutely no complaints.

I would point out to those upset at paying a wee bit more tax that they would likely pay more to buy a house elsewhere in the UK & then have to pay more council tax.

They would also have to pay for their prescriptions and if they have kids going to uni, they would have to stump up for tuition fees. So they are probably still better off up here.

Yeah cos it's all about the money sh*t Govt for Scots by Scots is just what you've wanted.

Just now, Barry Fish said:

The idea I am paying my kids tuition fees is for the birds 😛 

I don't even think calling it a loan is right really.  Its more of a tax you pay later on.

Or pay straight away if you land a great job like my kid has.£37k as his first job.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Its not really right away though is it considering he would of took out the first loan 3 / 4 years ago ?

Most kids will never pay back in full and some never pay it at all.

Overall tuition fees are not the burden some say they are.  Its more of a mindset issue.

More like ten years ago for his first loan. Cos he did a masters straight after his undergraduate degree.hes a smart cookie as his first degree is a first in maths.

10 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The idea I am paying my kids tuition fees is for the birds 😛 

I don't even think calling it a loan is right really.  Its more of a tax you pay later on.

It is more of a tax but it is still a substantial amount down south when you factor in what other things people in their 20s get hammered with. 

I do feel lucky to have avoided that, I just took one year of a loan which was like 6k. I put it towards travelling  cause  I worked through uni so didn’t need the cash 

There is a masters loan as well. Apparently there is now a weird qwerk in the tax system where if you study for your degree and masters in England and then get a job in Scotland on £100k your marginal tax rate is now 84.5%

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Neil said:

i see the snp police force are meeting their remit of giving a free pass to the corrupt govt of scots by scots

Sorry, Neil. As is so often the case, I have no idea what you are havering about.

51 minutes ago, LJS said:

Sorry, Neil. As is so often the case, I have no idea what you are havering about.

snp fraud no progress, snp mystery motorhome, no progress -  nothing done better by scots governing scots unlrss better is giving a free pass.

Edited by Neil

54 minutes ago, Neil said:

snp fraud no progress, snp mystery motorhome, no progress -  nothing done better by scots governing scots unlrss better is giving a free pass.

How do you know there has been no progress?

1 hour ago, Neil said:

tgthere's been no news of progress.

I suspect the only definition of progress you would accept, would be Nicky & the Nats getting charged with all sorts of grevious crimes & misdemenours.

Other forms of progress are available.

53 minutes ago, LJS said:

I suspect the only definition of progress you would accept, would be Nicky & the Nats getting charged with all sorts of grevious crimes & misdemenours.

Other forms of progress are available.

For justice to be justice, justice has to be seen to be done. Nothing to be seen.

• 3 weeks later...

i think they should all have been required to delete their Wozzaps. The bits of the enquiry that have focussed on the various Wozzaps where people basically just slag other folk have been the least constructive & useful & threatened to turn the enquiry into a  source of jokes for HIGNFY.

17 hours ago, clarkete said:

Yes I know what you were referring to, but one swallow does not a Bozo make

Crap govt is crap govt whether at holyrood or Westminster 

Scots can govern Scots worse than the English govern Scots.

5 hours ago, Neil said:

Crap govt is crap govt whether at holyrood or Westminster 

Scots can govern Scots worse than the English govern Scots.

Nah.  I dunno how the jocks upset you, but your views are very skewed. 

2 hours ago, clarkete said:

Nah.  I dunno how the jocks upset you, but your views are very skewed. 

Less skewed than the views of the average Nat.

I've just Heard about the Falkirk triangle!

Bad move by the aliens they're not likely to find intelligent life or be able to communicate ( unless they've got the babelfish for Scottish).

Or is just pissed Up Scots?

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Neil said:

i see police scotland are setting new standards in policing. 😛 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-68501949

Seems pretty sensible, so you were always likely to oppose it.

I assume they will review it if there is a huge surge in thefts of garden gnomes.