Tickets on sale Sunday 7 Oct

Guest AnnaGrant

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just how easy is it to get tickets? Anyone with past experience...

I say this as in the past I've always managed to get tickets with websites in high demand... (Kanye and Jay Z, The Stone Roses, Hackey, Take That, T in the Park) and a few more and i've used multiple browses/rang up. If i'm on the website at the time will I easily get them? Thanks

Just how easy is it to get tickets? Anyone with past experience...

I say this as in the past I've always managed to get tickets with websites in high demand... (Kanye and Jay Z, The Stone Roses, Hackey, Take That, T in the Park) and a few more and i've used multiple browses/rang up. If i'm on the website at the time will I easily get them? Thanks

Different browsers *might* help. I typed 3 different explanations, all of which I gave up on, deleted and settled on: It might help but it's impossible to say, so therefore why would you not, simply because at the very minimum, every tab or window increases your odds (and costs seetickets in having to fight the horde, but unliike many, they were expecting us)

How does it compare to buying tickets for V when they were in demand? I have always been successful in wading through the morning with multiple tabs, multiple computers and f5 constantly and I know the demand will be higher for Glasto but is it the same sort of thing? I've usually managed to get them within a hour but I'm not sure if a more militant approach will be required! We'll have 2 laptops and a PC for Glasto as well as my mother trying (but that doesn't count because she'll ring and say I'm number 954 in the queue, I'm not leaving the page).

Edited by AiiShotTheDJ

will be here in no time!!!

I was wondering about multi browsers/multiple tabs per browser

Does it work? I mean the server could be setup to accept only x connections per IP and after that just ignore them/time out etc?

Meaning loads of browsers/tabs could be a waste as would all be from the same IP

why would that be? all instances would be from the same IP i wouldnt have thought mutiple tab v multi browser made a difference?!

It's extremely unlikely that any sales system works by limiting one transaction per IP address - it would mean that only one AOL user could buy a ticket, or only person who works within the NHS. There's a massive amount of IP sharing that goes on.

Instead, sales systems tend to use sessions. Any session is related to a specific browser (rather than the user's computer), and with some browsers (if not all) &/or systems, only one session is created with multiple browser windows.I'

I'm not entirely sure if it was still the case with the last Glasto sales, or if it's still the case within Firefox, but I'm pretty sure that when using Firefox to buy tickets a few years ago, and with multiple windows open within firefox, that when one window got a sales page, all of them did.

I didn't check the session ids, but it's a pretty fair presumption that because all windows got the salkes page at the same time, then they were all sharing the same session - meaning that multiple windows with one browser gave you no advantage over using just one window (and might have actually had the opposite effect).

Like I say, I'm not 100% that what I suggest will give an advantage, but it certainly won't give you a lesser advantage to using multiple windows in one browser. And if it does give you an advantage then that advantage will be significant - more than significant enough to make it worth trying!

It's very definitely what I shall be doing.

I'm not entirely sure if it was still the case with the last Glasto sales, or if it's still the case within Firefox, but I'm pretty sure that when using Firefox to buy tickets a few years ago, and with multiple windows open within firefox, that when one window got a sales page, all of them did.

I didn't check the session ids, but it's a pretty fair presumption that because all windows got the sales page at the same time, then they were all sharing the same session - meaning that multiple windows with one browser gave you no advantage over using just one window (and might have actually had the opposite effect).

Like I say, I'm not 100% that what I suggest will give an advantage, but it certainly won't give you a lesser advantage to using multiple windows in one browser. And if it does give you an advantage then that advantage will be significant - more than significant enough to make it worth trying!

I'll keep going with their very fast Internet connection. It's way over 100mb/sec and although in previous years i've been told by various boffins on here that speed has little effect, it's never failed me yet!

the amount of advantage that a 100Mb connection would give over a 10MB connection is soo sooo tiny it may as well not be there at all. The only advantage you get is that your data-packets get to travel that little bit faster between your computer and the point that packet hits a major 'net conduit, which might - but probably not (given the tiny tiny amounts of time involved) - mean that you might get one extra refresh done in the period you're trying. It certainly gives no extra chance of success: that success comes as-good-as randomly, decided by what the server is doing at the exact moment your request reaches it and nothing to do with the speed of the connection.

The fact that you've been successful in all your previous times means nothing at all for this time. Some people are successful, while others are not; that's all there's been to it. You've got *lucky*, nothing else.

And as a demonstration for how that luck changes eventually: I've always got my own ticket with ease, apart from last time. With everything being equal (and with everyone using just one window each everything would be equal, net speeds would make no measurable difference) you *WILL* fail to get your ticket eventually - and it's probably only when that happens that you'll allow yourself to believe that your work fast connection makes no difference.

It's extremely unlikely that any sales system works by limiting one transaction per IP address - it would mean that only one AOL user could buy a ticket, or only person who works within the NHS. There's a massive amount of IP sharing that goes on.

Instead, sales systems tend to use sessions. Any session is related to a specific browser (rather than the user's computer), and with some browsers (if not all) &/or systems, only one session is created with multiple browser windows.I'

I didn't check the session ids, but it's a pretty fair presumption that because all windows got the salkes page at the same time, then they were all sharing the same session - meaning that multiple windows with one browser gave you no advantage over using just one window (and might have actually had the opposite effect).

I'm not 100% that using multi browsers does actually give an advantage, but there's a logical case for why it might (without knowing all the details of See's system it's not possible to know).

But as it's no disadvantage over using multi windows, I defo think it's worth a try. If what I'm thinking about how their system works is right, then 3 different browsers will increase your chances by three times over using three windows - and that's quite a difference!

A group of us have decided to share registration numbers and postcodes and just keep trying until we all have tickets. One question I have though is, in the unlikley event that two of us were lucky enough to get through at more or less the same time and tried to buy tickets for each other, would the system recognise this and prevent us from buying a ticket for someone who already has one allocated to them? If that happens we can just carry on down the list until all 8 tickets have been allocated and it gives everyone the motivation to keep going right until the end.