Films

Rufus Gwertigan

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Went to see Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes earlier, which as it turns out is pretty much a prequel for a new trilogy mainly doing set-up work.

I kinda felt it was narratively ill-disciplined, where some stuff was a bit sloppy and strangely handled.

Having been meh on the new Planet of the Apes film, at least The Fall Guy proved entertaining. Was just good fun.

Even if I keep calling it The Free Guy because my brain thinks it's the one with Ryan Reynolds as an NPC in a video game. Which is a bit of a stupid confession.

4 hours ago, steviewevie said:

apparently it is a self indulgent mess. Can't wait to see it.

It doesn't actually have a UK release on cinema or streaming yet. But yes I'm aware the reviews after the premiere in Cannes last night were mixed, including some suggesting it's a bit of a stinker.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2024 at 9:07 PM, charlierc said:

I saw both Dune 1 and 2 this week and I wasn't 100% sure if I got it. It was visually impressive and there were some neat performances, but I do ponder if I wanted something more within a near 5 hour run time for the pair of them.

Fair enough. There's a dense quality that isn't always... subtle.

The Fall Guy is a really solid summer programmer - albeit a peak example of a film that is more than the sum of some lacklustre parts thanks to the passion on hand from its players and crew. Shame on its box office being lower.

In a similar vein, Furiosa is another one in search of a second or third draft, but boy, does that keep on going down the hills too.

4 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

The Fall Guy is a really solid summer programmer - albeit a peak example of a film that is more than the sum of some lacklustre parts thanks to the passion on hand from its players and crew. Shame on its box office being lower.

In a similar vein, Furiosa is another one in search of a second or third draft, but boy, does that keep on going down the hills too.

Huh I enjoyed Fall Guy and didn't have the "more than sum of it's parts" vibe.

Furiosa had it's charms but there were definitely things that could've been tighter. I'm surprised it seems on track to be lose cash at the box office, mind.

13 hours ago, charlierc said:

Huh I enjoyed Fall Guy and didn't have the "more than sum of it's parts" vibe.

Furiosa had it's charms but there were definitely things that could've been tighter. I'm surprised it seems on track to be lose cash at the box office, mind.

I really enjoyed The Fall Guy, I should say - think David Leitch is my favourite director of "disposable" blockbusters out there right now. (Deadpool 2 and Hobbs & Shaw a pair of sequels that outstrip predecessors for me.)

But at the same time, it really could have done with a second pass at the script.

That being said, I don't like to see either film underperforming at the box office. I'd love for them both to be getting more bums on seats.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2024 at 9:30 AM, NorthernSoul52 said:

I really enjoyed The Fall Guy, I should say - think David Leitch is my favourite director of "disposable" blockbusters out there right now. (Deadpool 2 and Hobbs & Shaw a pair of sequels that outstrip predecessors for me.)

But at the same time, it really could have done with a second pass at the script.

That being said, I don't like to see either film underperforming at the box office. I'd love for them both to be getting more bums on seats.

I found that one of those with the modern phenomenon of some of the lines you see in the trailer seemingly not appearing in the film I saw at the local pictures - I dunno if it was the rating of the version at my local, but the joke about the fist stood out to me. 

I'm a big fan of some actual stunts, which they featured some great examples of rather than the appalling quality cgi in so many new films, but clearly the work (and presumably cost) was very high... 

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-fall-guy-stunt-driver-guinness-world-record-car-roll-2024-5?op=1

At home I've watched a handful of late, old Hitchcock The Man Who Knew too Much. 

Anatomy of a Fall. 

They Cloned Tyrone on Netflix - John Boyega and Jamie Foxx in a very funny and entertaining sci-fi, comedy mystery.  The film it becomes is so far from how it appeared and I loved it. 

Godzilla minus One.   

Hit Man. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I didn't find Deadpool and Wolverine annoying - it was pretty funny and was quite fun with in-jokes from the Fox-era Marvel movies.

Wouldn't have said it was the most substantial film ever, but there was a goofy fun to it. Seen worse.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2024 at 10:18 AM, steviewevie said:

To further the weirdness of this whole exercise, a second trailer released today by the studio has been pulled for fabricating critics quotes.

Which bodes well. Though it does now have a late September release date for those who want to see it for themselves.

Edited by charlierc

3 hours ago, charlierc said:

To further the weirdness of this whole exercise, a second trailer released today by the studio has been pulled for fabricating critics quotes.

Which bodes well. Though it does now have a late September release date for those who want to see it for themselves.

But I believe they fabricated negative quotes of his earlier films, to suggest that negative reviews can work out wrong? Seems crazy their PR didn't expect anyone to check.