Films

Rufus Gwertigan

16 hours ago, clarkete said:

But I believe they fabricated negative quotes of his earlier films, to suggest that negative reviews can work out wrong? Seems crazy their PR didn't expect anyone to check. 

You'd have thought there were negative at-the-time reviews of all his movies that they could've used and that they didn't need to fabricate ones. Just seems consistent with this odd exercise though.

• Upvote 1

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whether it's sh*t or not Coppola still deserves kudos for going out there and just trying to make brilliant and interesting films...some have worked, some have not..he's still an amazing director who's made some of the best films (imo)....just a shame about the accusations of all the dodgy sh*t..

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Anyone seen Beetlejuice Beetlejuice yet?

Yes, it’s a mess but a gloriously fun one. The cast are having a ball, the effects are strange and unusual and some side plots are superfluous, to say the very least. But it’s just joyous!

2 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

Yes, it’s a mess but a gloriously fun one. The cast are having a ball, the effects are strange and unusual and some side plots are superfluous, to say the very least. But it’s just joyous!

I'll take that. 

Figured it would be a mess but at least it's fun. Tim Burton has been a bit too much miss rather than hit for years now

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2024 at 6:12 PM, steviewevie said:

whether it's sh*t or not Coppola still deserves kudos for going out there and just trying to make brilliant and interesting films...some have worked, some have not..he's still an amazing director who's made some of the best films (imo)....just a shame about the accusations of all the dodgy sh*t..

Well apparently it's already getting a kicking from the critics. Which... not the best start.

Saw a very odd double bill yesterday. Both very good, although I'm still making my mind up fully on one. Which is probably the point. 

First, The Substance. Knew the basic idea before going in. So much more going on than that. Very interesting. A lot of fun too. I'm not particularly a horror fan unless it's also doing something different and this really is. The two leads (plus Dennis Quaid as well) are giving it their all and are superb. Don't think Demi Moore has been better. The first 3/4 of the film are more restrained than I was expecting but then it goes absolutely batshit for the last 20 minutes. But like I said, still making up my mind. It's a bit, have you cake and eat it. Lots of long lingering provocative shots of some very attractive women but it's ok because we're satirising this sort of thing and the impossible beauty standards women are subjected too.  But then by us looking at these shots and these women we're complicit in the whole thing. Worth seeing. 

Followed by The Outrun. Very different to the first. I haven't read the book but I have read a few articles by the author including the recent one in the Guardian talking about how strange it is too see your life made into a film. 

Loved it. Beautifully made, stunningly acted by Saoirse Ronan. Genuinely think she's one of the best actors working now. I also really liked how they switched between London and Orkney and how sometimes it merged. I really liked how the hedonistic London scenes weren't all played as kind of grim. I mean they became grim but it was more, being drunk can be really fun until it's not. And then it's really not. She's also very very good at playing drink which a lot of otherwise very talented actors aren't. That moment when you go from fun, life and soul of the party to absolute f**king nightmare. Then the really quiet, still scenes on Orkney were just beautiful. And the final scene could have been cheesy as f**k but it was totally earned and made me laugh out loud.

Been doing the Star Wars re-releases each week with the family, which means Return of the Jedi is the next cab off the rank. As a child, it was heads-and-shoulders my favourite, with The Empire Strikes Back clearly in last place.

Perception of craft and detail and structure does wonders with age. Watching it last week, it is kind of remarkable how significantly more mature it is than the original entry from a technician's standpoint. Lucas very much a fan of vision, but perhaps - unlike his good friend Spielberg - a man never quite capable of putting it into practice. I'd understand how a newcomer starting at A New Hope may have no interest in carrying on.