Films

Rufus Gwertigan

Thanks for the head's-up.

The bog sequence was great, proof that the last of the wasteland had dried up and the crow-stilt cargo cultists were great. It wasn't that long either, and was the herald of Act 3.

The editing was fast but there was method behind it, all the action of the film was centrally framed - so your eye can stay in the centre of the screen and follow fast action, unlike some CGI films were the entire frame is filled left and right and you have to scan for the action narrative. There was a mini documentary about it if you like I can dig the URL out.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw Jurassic World over the weekend, it's easily the best of the sequels and I really enjoyed seeing what it would be like as a real and running theme park. The non-sense towards the end started to grate me with the...

bad guy dinosaurs vs good guy dinosaurs teaming up and fighting each other, although the T-rex from the first film was a nice touch

Finally got to see Entourage last night at the comfy independent cinema that has a bar and small tables next to your seat for your point (or in my case, my smuggled bottles of Chateau Collapso). Went with the ex and we agreed the worst thing about it was it being about 3 hours too short. I wouldn't bother if you haven't seen the show (to the end) and enjoyed it but as a couple of hours of high-budget high-fives it worked a treat. The cinematography was stunning, never seen LA look so glorious. When it's out on Blu Ray I'm taking some screen grabs of the opening sequences for PC wallpaper.

Have been cranking through a few home-movies too. Fury was appropriately brutal if a little by-the-numbers. Nothing wrong with it, but it felt more like a Band of Brothers spin-off movie than something to compete against Saving Private Ryan.

Sci-fi wise, Deus Ex, also know as Fuckbot Follies - How I Built a Vagina Dentata and Her Part in My Downfall, was excellent. The actors played their roles to an understated T, the visual design in Eva was almost frighteningly well done, and the twists at the end of the tale perfectly played. Predestination was a bolt-out-of-the-blue. Hadn't heard anything about it, a time-travel film about paradox and a few other things, and though I guessed the entire story - in full - long before any of it began to play out I still really enjoyed it. A humane little film.

Got an uncut version of Kingsman too and it was delightfully silly... chews-up Bond, Bourne, and Bauer and spits them out the back end along topped by Michael Caine's career-best one-liner.  And that church fight! Has put me in the mood for Spy (saw a trailer for it last night) but I want wait for the "usual DVD sources".

Hasn't all been good news though. Lucy was mind-numbingly, aggressively, belligerently stupid. To compound the crime it dwelt on its the conceit of it's central stupidity as if it were something starkly profound. Watching it in the same week as Deus Ex showed it up for the debacle it is. The worst of it it is it was so well directed. Luc Besson directed it so well, but his script/screenplay was so bad if it had been written by accident by a chimp I'd have beaten the chimp to death with a table-leg. Poltergeist (2015) was equally terrible... unendingly mediocre. Like the Hallmark channel made a TV movie of Poltergeist.

Edited by viberunner
  • Upvote 1

Totally agree on Lucy. I had such high hopes, but they just took it and ran in completely the wrong direction IMHO.

and yes, Kingsman was perfect in every way. One of the most enjoyable movie "romps" I have had for a long time.

Ex Machina is a quality bit of work on a lot of levels at once, which I enjoyed.  Visually, soundtrack, storyline, effects and performances all work really well together.

Chappie I watched around the same time and also really enjoyed, but more for the fantastic visual style that comes with the directors work.  It has lots of rewatchability in it, I think, like the earlier films, just as a visual treat.

I know alot of people who said Lucy was the best film they'd seen in a long time, which told me alot about them. ;)

I thought Chappie was pretty poor. The robot itself was ridiculously annoying, the humans were all fannies, outside of one, and then the movie went downhill even more in the final act. So aye, just shite all ends up.

And it's a good 80 minutes for Slow West. No need for it to be any longer.

Not sure if its been mentioned but just watched "while we're young".. pretty good and probably worth 90 minutes of your time. Its about a 40 something couple who are having a mid-life crisis and so start hanging around with a couple of 20 something hipsters.

Edited by lost

i was not looking forward to this film at all as Man Of Steel was such a steaming pile, but this trailer has done a good job of getting me excited. i mean, it'll still probably be garbage (or average at best), but this has sold it well

(i also think Affleck is gonna absolutely nail it. stoked that he's co-writing/directing the stand alone Batman film)

Edited by FloorFiller