The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

22 minutes ago, EavisAintDead said:

"Hiked" down to a cricket club do last weekend with a few chairs and an awning in the bag, felt really heavy to pick up but so effortless once it was on my back - I hope you love it! 

I shall report back on July 1st 🙂 

any cool box recommendations ... saw one posted a while back but cant find it .... might progress from my 15 quid Asda one ... ive also got the ability to use the work freezer so can chuck the box plus cider in it for a few days . hopefully they'll leave the lid off this time , last time they didnt so the contents didnt freeze as well as hoped , despite me leaving a sign on it not to close 

Anyone bought a tent you can stand up in recently? 2 doors (for airflow), 1 bedroom "4 man". Similar size and dimensions to this.

Tents poles are all cracked and itll cost a furtune to replace them so wont bother.

image.thumb.jpeg.9ec123d4e968bcbbd970530be6abaf5a.jpeg

9 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

any cool box recommendations ... saw one posted a while back but cant find it .... might progress from my 15 quid Asda one ... ive also got the ability to use the work freezer so can chuck the box plus cider in it for a few days . hopefully they'll leave the lid off this time , last time they didnt so the contents didnt freeze as well as hoped , despite me leaving a sign on it not to close 

What’s your budget? Depending what you are willing to spend a rotomoulded one will really do the business, and you don’t have to get a Yeti there are some decent knock offs too. 

Otherwise Outwell Fulmar is decent. I have the 60lt but the 30lt won’t be bad either. 

I have been banned from purchasing any more ice boxes, fridges and ice making machines but I will report back 1st July as to the successes of my three box, two bag set up 😂

5 hours ago, irnkrtn said:

What’s your budget? Depending what you are willing to spend a rotomoulded one will really do the business, and you don’t have to get a Yeti there are some decent knock offs too. 

Otherwise Outwell Fulmar is decent. I have the 60lt but the 30lt won’t be bad either. 

I have been banned from purchasing any more ice boxes, fridges and ice making machines but I will report back 1st July as to the successes of my three box, two bag set up 😂

100 quid max but dont really want to spend that 

19 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Ive got a Igloo Marine Ultra 54QT and swear by it. Its a big boy, but geninuley keeps everything cold all weekend, not just 48 hours. Managed to pick up a great deal at Costco, but looks like theyve gone up in price a bit since. Anything from the marine ultra range will be good though. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, The Nal said:

Anyone bought a tent you can stand up in recently? 2 doors (for airflow), 1 bedroom "4 man". Similar size and dimensions to this.

Tents poles are all cracked and itll cost a furtune to replace them so wont bother.

This ones 4 man and can stand up in it. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-tent-with-poles-arpenaz-4-1-fandb-4-persons-1-bedroom/_/R-p-177332?mc=8731616&c=teal blue_no dye

Or this one: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-tent-with-poles-arpenaz-4-2-fandb-4-person-2-bedrooms/_/R-p-310022?mc=8561167 if you want the two doors. 

1 hour ago, Jacksamthompson said:

Bought this for Glasto / Truck Festival in 2022 and had a blast. Really great option, also wanted plenty of space / standing room etc. and it delivered in spades.

I've joined the Arpenaz 4.1 crew as well this year.  Expecting the campsites to be full of them so need to get something to identify mine when wandering back tired and confused!

Had a mental breakdown and bought a £9.99 "festival trolley" from Aldi yesterday, despite seeing them piled up in pieces by the entrances every year.  The tent is a lot heavier than my previous ones so I figured putting just that on the trolley may help on the trek across the site, but it will probably disintigrate straight away!

3 hours ago, Jacksamthompson said:

Ive got an Igloo Marine Ultra 54QT and swear by it. Its a big boy, but geninuley keeps everything cold all weekend, not just 48 hours. Managed to pick up a great deal at Costco, but looks like theyve gone up in price a bit since. Anything from the marine ultra range will be good though. 

Cheers will measure up the bike trailer to see what space I have to play with on second trip to the car 

23 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Swear by this, kept things cold with Frozen bottles inside from Tues till Sunday Morning remarkably.

We did have a strict close policy. 

https://www.ernestdoeshop.com/product/coleman-26l-28qt-performance-wheeled-cooler-box/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kemosabe said:

Anyone know where I can rent a tent for the festival? I have one so reluctent to buy another, but just been informed by my better half it's just not big enough for her 🙃

Happened to the best of us. 

• Upvote 1

Decathlon trying to tackle the issue of tents and festivals by offering people 100% of their money back if they return their tent in September after using it for the entire festival season!!!

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/c/htc/no-tent-left-behind_b3be522a-a5f2-497e-a93f-f1a3682cdae1?SPMID=soK7wc_BLxEQN_h-W0qmTw&PMSRC_CAMPAIGN=&utm_medium=email&utm_source=decathlon_united kingdom&utm_campaign=20240605_Campaign_ActiveBase_TentPledge

👏👏👏

• Like 2

On 6/4/2024 at 4:08 PM, The Nal said:

If just some sections of your poles are cracked it is worth fixing them. I had this and bought a repair kit for £8 and it was not as hard as I thought it would be. The rest of your tent looks in good nick so worth considering before buying a new one. 

Anyone tried the Wayfarer meals ready to eat from Go Outdoors?

Can be eaten hot or cold.

If you’ve got a membership card and buy one, get 2nd one half price it works out at £3.75 a meal.

Was thinking of getting a few to save a couple of quid.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/camping/eating-and-drinking/camping-food/

Edited by JB3

9 hours ago, JB3 said:

Anyone tried the Wayfarer meals ready to eat from Go Outdoors?

Can be eaten hot or cold.

If you’ve got a membership card and buy one, get 2nd one half price it works out at £3.75 a meal.

Was thinking of getting a few to save a couple of quid.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/camping/eating-and-drinking/camping-food/

I use them a lot when hiking to wild camp, and I genuinely enjoy them, but then I enjoy tinned meals haha, and these are very similar. 

I like the breakfast one, the spag bol (or pasta bol) and the meatballs (Which doesn't seem to be available at GO anymore. 😕)

HOWEVER and this is a big however, they're expensive, like really expensive for the portion size. £3.75 doesn't seem too bad until you realise there's only 400Kcal in a pack, so 1 doesn't really cut it for the average bloke's meal. And they're only really worth it if pack weight is a major concern (such as hiking up tors to camp.) Or if you have no way to heat up food. Otherwise you could enjoy similar meals out of a can for much less. 👍 (The breakfast one particularly tasted just like those big breakfast cans.) 

If you do go for them, and you like flapjacks, that's what I generally supplement them with when out camping. Flapjacks are easy to carry, and cost a quid for more calories than these meals contain.

Edited by Alvoram
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

If you have an Asda near you and you need poop roll this is a decent offer until Sunday

image.png.4298685d2193ca660f4febaf005a69c3.png

You understand toilet roll is free from the lockups ( make a donation 😎)

4 hours ago, Alvoram said:

I use them a lot when hiking to wild camp, and I genuinely enjoy them, but then I enjoy tinned meals haha, and these are very similar. 

I like the breakfast one, the spag bol (or pasta bol) and the meatballs (Which doesn't seem to be available at GO anymore. 😕)

HOWEVER and this is a big however, they're expensive, like really expensive for the portion size. £3.75 doesn't seem too bad until you realise there's only 400Kcal in a pack, so 1 doesn't really cut it for the average bloke's meal. And they're only really worth it if pack weight is a major concern (such as hiking up tors to camp.) Or if you have no way to heat up food. Otherwise you could enjoy similar meals out of a can for much less. 👍 (The breakfast one particularly tasted just like those big breakfast cans.) 

If you do go for them, and you like flapjacks, that's what I generally supplement them with when out camping. Flapjacks are easy to carry, and cost a quid for more calories than these meals contain.

Thanks for the info, I hadn’t thought about portion size. 

I think I just get a few of the breakfast ones to have in the morning at the tent.