The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

11 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I do not know of the accuracy of this post, but it would be delightful if it were true;

Taken from a post on LinkedIn.
Festival goers, please note.
One of the most depressing images of our modern profligacy is the waste strewn field on the Monday morning after a big music festival (250,000 tents pa going to landfill each summer in the UK alone) so, thank you #Decathlon for bringing in a tent buy back scheme.
Under the scheme, customers have until 13 September to bring their eligible tents (10 major types) back to Decathlon UK stores for trade-in. They will receive a gift card amounting to the full amount they spent on the tent in the first instance, regardless of wear and tear. The tents will be refurbished, cleaned and resold via Decathlon’s ‘Second Life’ resale platform.
Festival goers please use!

May be an image of campsite

This says 'regardless of wear and tear', but the Decathlon website says it must not be damaged in any way. So be aware! 😳

• Upvote 1

The 3 man pop up black and fresh tent that people love, it doesn't have a porch, right? Wouldn't this be a huge issue if it's raining, cos you drag in loads of water and get everything wet?

(I may need to buy a last minute tent replacement, the zip just came off my old tent bag.)

2 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

The 3 man pop up black and fresh tent that people love, it doesn't have a porch, right? Wouldn't this be a huge issue if it's raining, cos you drag in loads of water and get everything wet?

(I may need to buy a last minute tent replacement, the zip just came off my old tent bag.)

There's 2 models. One with a (smallish) porch, one without.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Little Andy said:

highly recommend paying a bit more for one with a porch so you have somewhere to put your boots etc

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, incident said:

There's 2 models. One with a (smallish) porch, one without.

3 minutes ago, goldfishboy said:

highly recommend paying a bit more for one with a porch so you have somewhere to put your boots etc

Thank you! This one I assume : https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-tent-mh100-xl-3-p-freshandblack/_/R-p-331796 ?

So now I gotta decide if I can fix the zip from my old tent bag, or somehow gaffer tape it shut, or find a replacement bag ... or go black and fresh.

10 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

Thank you! This one I assume : https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-tent-mh100-xl-3-p-freshandblack/_/R-p-331796 ?

So now I gotta decide if I can fix the zip from my old tent bag, or somehow gaffer tape it shut, or find a replacement bag ... or go black and fresh.

The porch is a reasonable size - you can’t stand up but can sit in a chair if necessary. The roll up tent bag it comes in though is rubbish. 

1 hour ago, Little Andy said:

That one is a regular "assemble manually" dome tent, rather than a pop up.

21 minutes ago, incident said:

That one is a regular "assemble manually" dome tent, rather than a pop up.

What's generally more loved? With a porch, or as a pop up? As I said earlier, I fear having no porch would be bad if its chucking it down ... but pop up is a nicety I assume!

2 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

What's generally more loved? With a porch, or as a pop up? As I said earlier, I fear having no porch would be bad if its chucking it down ... but pop up is a nicety I assume!

The pop-up option with a similar sized porch is here:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-tent-2-seconds-xl-3-person-fresh-and-black/_/R-p-172537

17 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

Oh wow! Thanks! So is that the one folk on here go crazy for the most?

I don't think you can really single out one specific model.

It's the Fresh&Black range as a whole that people like. Precisely which tent they prefer within that range will vary by person based on their needs and preferences - I go for a popup because I appreciate being able to get it up and down in seconds, which is a godsend if it's raining. Others dislike them because popups typically have lower headroom and they want to be able to halfway stand up, or because they're more awkward to carry.

Best to just check out the entire range and see what works for you.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/sports/camping/blackout-tents

Edited by incident
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, incident said:

It's the Fresh&Black range as a whole that people like. Precisely which tent they prefer within that range will vary by person based on their needs and preferences - I go for a popup because I appreciate being able to get it up and down in seconds, which is a godsend if it's raining. Others dislike them because popups typically have lower headroom and they want to be able to halfway stand up, or because they're more awkward to carry.

I have the 3 man 2 second easy up, plenty of headroom, easy to set up and pack away, and a better pack size and shape than the pop up. But that's not why I'm commenting. 

The Fresh & Black really is a game changer at festivals when you need that late morning lie in during warm weather. At festivals last year the amount of times I emerged from a cool and refreshing tent to find people had pulled their beds out of their own was telling. I remember lying in the tent at Kendal calling, when it was warm before the rain turned up, and listening to the bloke next to us moaning about how hot it was in his tent, whilst I was cool. He had an incredible tent too, one I'd been fantasizing about getting for serious hiking, the MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2. I was very jealous until that point. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2024 at 10:27 PM, incident said:

I have the F&B version of this https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/trekking-dome-tent-2-person-mt500/_/R-p-310893?mc=8858233&c=urban green_smoked black

Very quick to assemble/dissemble, and has been great for the last 3 festivals.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Waterproof jackets....something we all wish we never need but sadly do!

I have a Berghuaus one that's great (had it 10 years) but at 6ft2 and with a long body and short legs (32 inch for someone 6ft2 is a bit odd!) I find they don't cover my backside very easily.

Any recommendations for 'long' waterproof jackets? Perhaps sort of parka jacket length?

Cheers! 🙂 

12 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Waterproof jackets....something we all wish we never need but sadly do!

I have a Berghuaus one that's great (had it 10 years) but at 6ft2 and with a long body and short legs (32 inch for someone 6ft2 is a bit odd!) I find they don't cover my backside very easily.

Any recommendations for 'long' waterproof jackets? Perhaps sort of parka jacket length?

Cheers! 🙂 

I've got 31" legs. Do you fancy forming some sort of self help group gooner1990? I mean you can be Chair and all that. Anybody else in 'The Short Legs Gang'?