Guest scmusic

We saw Seasick Steve at the Roundhouse in Camden last night. Excellent gig only marred by the Roundhouse's layout (flat floor + seated performer = very hard to see).

As per his Jools Holland appearance and the new album, John Paul Jones, bassist extraordinaire from Led Zeppelin, joined Steve throughout the entire gig, and added not only his bass stylings but also mandolin, slide guitar and a few zany ones (including an oud, I believe). They had one or two jam-offs with each other which was entertaining. JPJ looked to be having the time of his life.

There was also a full stage at times, with horn section and two soul singers imported from Nashville. All very impressive, though I do pine for the days when it was just him stomping his foot on a wooden box and playing the three-string trance wonder....

So just to say that there's every possibility given Glastonbury's cachet that this full setup - John Paul Jones included - could be appearing on the West Holts Stage in June....

Sounds fantastic!

Any idea if the clashfinder is correct in that he's playing at the same time as Foals? That's another very tough one. I've been trying unsuccesfully to catch Steve for quite a long time, but Foals' new album is fantastic and they've always been great when i've seen them in the past.

Sounds fantastic!

Any idea if the clashfinder is correct in that he's playing at the same time as Foals? That's another very tough one. I've been trying unsuccesfully to catch Steve for quite a long time, but Foals' new album is fantastic and they've always been great when i've seen them in the past.

Can't wait to see him for the first time. Missed him at the Green Man a few years ago so he is one of my must sees for the weekend followed by the mighty Chic!

echoing what Nal said I'd stop by for a John Paul Jones sighting. but am truly not a Seasick Steve fan and am a bit amused at how big he is in Britain to be honest. maybe i'll be converted.

hope it's earlier in the day though, as i suspect we'll find Bill Wyman is second from top on the acoustic that day and I dont sense we'll be seeing Bill on Saturday night

We saw Seasick Steve at the Roundhouse in Camden last night. Excellent gig only marred by the Roundhouse's layout (flat floor + seated performer = very hard to see).

As per his Jools Holland appearance and the new album, John Paul Jones, bassist extraordinaire from Led Zeppelin, joined Steve throughout the entire gig, and added not only his bass stylings but also mandolin, slide guitar and a few zany ones (including an oud, I believe). They had one or two jam-offs with each other which was entertaining. JPJ looked to be having the time of his life.

There was also a full stage at times, with horn section and two soul singers imported from Nashville. All very impressive, though I do pine for the days when it was just him stomping his foot on a wooden box and playing the three-string trance wonder....

So just to say that there's every possibility given Glastonbury's cachet that this full setup - John Paul Jones included - could be appearing on the West Holts Stage in June....

If all of this is true then Seasick will definitely be a highlight for me. To see this set up with JPJ included would please me immensely. I too have had the pleasure of seeing the bloke barebones and all, back when he was stomping solo on the pyramid. Time to see the hobo really shine!!!

Walked past the Ritz in Manchester around 6 today, massive queue stretching to Sainsbury's, touts asking people if they have tix to sell, asked a guy who was playing for this to be such a big deal, fuckin Seasick Steve. Since when was he a big deal?

JPJ played with Seasick at Leeds fest 2011. Missed the first 10 mins of the set as I went for poop but it was amazing (the set not the poop). JPJ did a fairly long solo from what I can remember. Also a guy from Madness ran on stage halfway through and kicked a ball into the crowd. Altogether a very agreeable hour.

JPJ played with Seasick at Leeds fest 2011. Missed the first 10 mins of the set as I went for poop but it was amazing (the set not the poop). JPJ did a fairly long solo from what I can remember. Also a guy from Madness ran on stage Naked halfway through and kicked a ball into the crowd. Altogether a very agreeable hour.

Ahh but the true Steve-o-scenti would have seen him on the.... John Peel? One of those ones up by the Campervan exit anyway, in about 2007 I think, on the Thursday. First appearance at Glastonbury I believe. Good crowd up for it, weird stage setup in that he was in the middle of the tent as I recall. Just him and his box.