Which fields flooded during the monsoon of 2005?

Guest mattparr

just how bad / muddy can oxlyers get?

was looking at it yesterday and area looks good for our needs being close to silver hayes / arcadia

(area i was lookign at , when looking at the map, top left with the out of bounds / crew camping to the west & north to encloses you from 2 sides so cuts the foot traffic down)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was looking at it yesterday and area looks good for our needs being close to silver hayes / arcadia

(area i was lookign at , when looking at the map, top left with the out of bounds / crew camping to the west & north to encloses you from 2 sides so cuts the foot traffic down)

the reporting of the flooding in 2005 was misleading though. I remember getting home and people thinking the whole festival was washed out, when in reality it was a tiny amount of tents affected. We got some decent sun in 2005 too

I guess the people who's keys got washed away learnt a harsh lesson: the first thing to do when you arrive on site is put them in the lock ups

Quite a contrast in 2005 - this is a pic of my mate outside our tent on Thursday evening.

/gallery/image/4012-p1010032/">http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/gallery/image/4012-p1010032/

These are some photos on Friday morning!

We camped up in Big Ground above the Pyramid. 2007 was a lot worse though (I will send some pics) because it rained nearly all weekend. in 2005 it was fine after the initial flood of Friday morning

Edited by dingbat2

I ended a miserable 2007 stuck in the car park for 12 hours, feeling ill. The only food we could find were some unopened scotch eggs in a bin. I ended up, for the lack of any toilets anywhere near us, shitting in a hedge as a family looked on. I didn't go back the following year. I went to Green Man. It rained. A lot.

I'd forgotten all about the ominous crack of thunder on the Thursday night in 05! I remember fleeing from the Stone Circle and thought "Here we go". We were high up in Pennards so we were lucky, but there were some real sights around us. WHo headlined the Friday? Can't remember but I remember Sat night was an anticlimax because we trudged all the way up to the Peel tent to see the Go! Team, only to find they had to stop the gig. But, as Russycarps says, Sunday was great. We finished all our drugs at dinner time, got completely fucked, some campers who had been next to us the whole weekend but we never saw them donated a bottle of whisky by way of thanks for all the music we'd been playing. Wilson, Primal Scream and Ian Brown were all great. What a festival!

2007 was shite. There, I said it. As Wooderson said above, it was an endurance rather than an enjoyance.

I just looked back at my "video diary" and aside from the Arcade Fire and Rufus Wainwright, musically it was a washout as well. I lost all my friends on the Friday night and spent hours tromping through the mud chasing them around to no avail, Saturday I didn't want to get separated so let my musical standards slip and accompanied my somewhat younger friends to see Maximo Park (gah), the Kooks (who?) and the Killers (massively underwhelming in part due to sound issues).

Sunday I was really looking forward to the Chems but the rain got the better of us, our space in the Dairy Ground was completely mud-logged and we decided to jack it all in and head home for warmth. Best decision of the weekend. Watching the rain lash the crowd at the Chems I knew I wouldn't have had in in me to have enjoyed it.

I have all the kit to survive bad weather. But it doesn't mean I want to.

One of the last things I saw on the Sunday night in 07 was a man chasing a girl during the Chemical Brothers and threatening to hit her, while a sample of freddy Krueger repeated "You are all my children now". That and the shitting in a hedge summed that year up for me.