Which fields flooded during the monsoon of 2005?

Guest mattparr

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

only been in 2010 but i absolutely loved that weather. it definitely got a bit too much at some points, and i probably missed a lot of bands from just being so exhausted at the campsite and not wanting to leave the shade. but it was great. would take too hot weather over too wet weather any day! much easier to cool down than to get dry

I remember 2005 waking up thinking the tent was funny on one side. I pushed down and water started flying in!! We had to wade out and the only things that were saved from the water were fags and some weed. Some nice guy lent me his hoody by the glade as well (top bloke) me and my girlfriend spent the week sleeping in the welfare tent up by the pyramid. Agree though 2007 was relentless

I found 2010 too hot. I passed out during Hypnotic Brass Ensemble (on the friday?) and my friend dutifully carried me out of the crowd and up the hill into the shade. Heat is nice in small bursts, but I think it gets too much when it's inescapable. Still had a great weekend though, and it's a rare glasto where you are able to wear shorts and t-shirt all weekend. I'd take that weather again over continuous rain, though really I think it's better to have something in between. 2009 and 2011 were decent on that front.

My sun stroke I suffered in 2010 was so bad on the Sunday I saw 1 gig!!! That's how hot that mother was. I spent the vast majority of the day horizontal and missed so many gigs I wanted to see it pains me still to this day. I spent the headline slot puking and drinking water hearing muffled sounds of Ash in the distance.

We were on Hitchin Hill thankfully in the tent when the monsoon hit.

Luckily we were up hill from the track that the poo trucks use to and from the farm.

The track itself turned into a river and washed away a couple of tents that were just downhill

avoid low ground and make sure you are uphill of any hardstanding

Woken up by the storm at 5am on Friday morning, we were camped directly opposite Other Stage in Oxylers. I soon realised that we had a river passing through the tent so got everything up onto the blow up bed. And that I wouldn't be nipping to the loo as conditions outside were pretty bad.

Impossible getting back to sleep and we had no radio so no idea how bad it was. Internet on phones wasn't an option back then and texts were going nowhere! Hard to believe how things have changed in 8 years!

Eventually made it out at about 11.30 am and we were amazed we had survived with our belongings pretty much okay. A few items of wet clothes and towels and a very soggy programme!

A trip to check the car was okay and take our wet things to exchange for dry and all was well, the sun shone for the rest of th weekend and the site soon started to dry out. A fab time was had and luckily no lives were lost. :)

Hi Jennie T it is quite steep but if you put your head up hill sleeping doesnt seem to be problem. the view is great you can virtually watch the pyramid from there and certainly tell who is on. the road divides the hill in two with the fence at the top which is effectively at the bottom of MEs new garden. i would camp above the road rather than below it. the trucks on the road arent really too noisy

must qualify that i havent actually camped there for a couple of years as we tend to arrive at gate D and its either looked too full or too far away by the time we have arrived

good luck

I have a friend who works for Festival Medical Services and we meet up from time to time between her shifts. It's fascinating to hear what is the most troubling problem of the moment.

When we had the deluge followed the next day by glorious sunshine people were walking round in shorts because it was so hot but wearing wellies because it was still muddy. And the biggest problem became 'wellie rash' where so many people ended up raw from the top of their wellies chafing their legs.

If you have to wear wellies make sure you wear long socks.