2014 Headliner predictions

Guest Matt87

So only elbow still standing from original rumours/info?

Was the info based on elbow headlining or just playing?

Is that info still good, but circumstances have changed with Depeche Mode and fleetwood?

The info I had originally was that Elbow had been asked to headline. While I can never guarantee what I hear is true, this is one that I have more reason than most to have trust in.

(It might be the case that it was a casual enquiry of whether they'd be up for headlining rather than an absolute offer to them, particularly as the convo was a year ago now... I tend not to get the finer details of what might have gone on)

Anyway, quite a long while ago now I heard a bit more, which told me that Elbow would definitely be playing but unsure of where on the bill they'd be, which suggested to me that they weren't first choice but still might be headlining (tho I think it's more likely that they won't).

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an Elbow fan, i agree that Build a rocket boys pales into significance against SSN and LOFW and i wish that Guy would wheel out their best stuff from earlier on Asleep at the back. Sadly this is never the case, they hardly ever these days sing " Newborn" which is an Elbow classic, i think guys voice is past that, and he is a great front man, i just wished , funny though he is he would leave off the wise cracks and concentrate his voice for those classics, perhaps drink some honey instead of lager on stage :) . I hope the new album is up to par of the older material or i won't be going to see them. Seen them 3 times now, none better than at the Apple store in regents st London to launch SSN. They were great at G under Coldplay in 2011? But agree that ending with " a day like this" is becoming rather tedoius almost to the extent that they are mophing into Coldplay themselves!

The info I had originally was that Elbow had been asked to headline. While I can never guarantee what I hear is true, this is one that I have more reason than most to have trust in.

(It might be the case that it was a casual enquiry of whether they'd be up for headlining rather than an absolute offer to them, particularly as the convo was a year ago now... I tend not to get the finer details of what might have gone on)

Anyway, quite a long while ago now I heard a bit more, which told me that Elbow would definitely be playing but unsure of where on the bill they'd be, which suggested to me that they weren't first choice but still might be headlining (tho I think it's more likely that they won't).

As an Elbow fan, i agree that Build a rocket boys pales into significance against SSN and LOFW and i wish that Guy would wheel out their best stuff from earlier on Asleep at the back. Sadly this is never the case, they hardly ever these days sing " Newborn" which is an Elbow classic, i think guys voice is past that, and he is a great front man, i just wished , funny though he is he would leave off the wise cracks and concentrate his voice for those classics, perhaps drink some honey instead of lager on stage :) . I hope the new album is up to par of the older material or i won't be going to see them. Seen them 3 times now, none better than at the Apple store in regents st London to launch SSN. They were great at G under Coldplay in 2011? But agree that ending with " a day like this" is becoming rather tedoius almost to the extent that they are mophing into Coldplay themselves!

Has anyone seen this quote from Kasabian in Q?

"We're the ultimate, we're the headline band. But he [Michael] didn't call us, the b******.

"Glastonbury's on our 'to-do' list. All he's got to do is pick up the phone.

"We've got every f***ing right to headline Glastonbury 'cos we're good enough. It will happen."

Edited by mf_2005

Isn't that a quote from last year? I saw them support Bruce in 2009, the crowd they had was apallingly behaved with lots of piss throwing etc, but you can't really blame that on the band really, though with remarks like that perhaps you can. They were ok , have been a bit off them really since then.

Noting so queer as folk eh :)

To true, agree about Weather to Fly, but Newborn and Power blue are sung in a higher register throughout especially Newborn that peaks towards the end. If they did headline i'd love to see them point towards the start before they "made it" with some scattering of the old material ,indeed such as " Newborn", " Scattered Black and Whites", " Powder Blue", " Fututice model", ...... but i won't hold my breath.

Back to Elbow...

I would love them to play some of the older stuff, it doesn't have to be note perfect to the original album version, Scattered Black and Whites when played live, which they still do now, sounds more brilliant than ever these days - see there performances in Manchester Cathedral (especially), Latitude and Jodrell Bank, and the latter was only performed last year. Beautiful, beautiful stuff

I do think they could still perform the likes of Powder Blue and Newborn again, both awesome songs, but try and make it sound a bit different to the album versions if Guys voice cant manage the higher notes. Recent live versions of scattered black and whites shows these older songs can still be performed live and be even more special than the original version