Nick Cave

Midnight Man

7 hours ago, MichaelsBeard said:

Which would be good news, as I think that album will be a beast in a live setting.

Looks like an excellent set list, actually. Too bad they didn't have time to play the last one that was written on the setlist. 

Edited by matrainertje

35 minutes ago, A Particular Grey Chihuahu said:

Does anyone else think Nick Cave is trying too hard with building a "mythology" around himself? It's like he really wants a Waits-ish vibe but it comes across as slightly phony (not saying I don't like some of his material, he's certainly talented).

Well yeah, there's a whole business apparatus around him to make him the new alternative icon. Though I don't think it's phony.

Only one Ghosteen track holds up, given that this tour isn't about that record. Surprised at the amount of overlap though with the 2022 tour.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, A Particular Grey Chihuahu said:

Does anyone else think Nick Cave is trying too hard with building a "mythology" around himself? It's like he really wants a Waits-ish vibe but it comes across as slightly phony (not saying I don't like some of his material, he's certainly talented).

Possibly, but everything such an artist (artist he is) does differently from the usual fare is fine as long as the music is quality (Radiohead eg), I reckon he’s just about retaining his status. To be fair, there’s very few acts with such a long career of great music of the continuing decent level he can still come up with. If he’s really trying to build a myth he’ll come unstuck. 

• Upvote 1

Seemingly unlike lots on here, my favourite three albums by him are Skeleton Tree, Push the Sky Away and Ghosteen. For me, those are his three masterpieces. The amount of those played last night is somewhat a shame for me personally, but there was plenty of opportunity to see them on the last tour to be fair

His genius is such that you could also make an argument for Tender Prey, Let Love In, The Boatman's Call, No More Shall We Part, AB/TLOO or Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! as being his magnum opus, without anyone really arguing against it

After a few listens I think Wild God will end up being mid-tier Nick Cave, which is obviously a great album in the grand scheme of things.

• Upvote 1

Gonna be honest I knew he’d barely touch Boatmen’s Call and Murder Ballads and I’m still surprised at myself for being underwhelmed. I’ve never seen him before and those two are the stand out albums for me.

Edited by OddRon

Knew we'd get most of Wild God - seem to recall all of Skeleton Tree was trotted out, bar one or two, in arenas last time, and the Cave/Ellis tour behind Carnage played nearly all of Ghosteen too.

But I had wondered just how much it would slim down that Bad Seeds trifecta that began with Push the Sky Away. To be fair, Jubilee Street and I Need You are likely the obvious saves, but was hoping he'd have skipped on Bright Horses.

Regardless, if they play like they can when I see 'em, it'll do the job.