Nick Cave

Midnight Man

On 10/13/2024 at 11:15 PM, russycarps said:

I agree (the national looked great on the telly last year), but I really thought this time was different. 

Nick Cave is massively famous these days and hugely critically acclaimed. This album is much more accessible than his past few, his songs are played in lots of popular telly series and films, he's selling out big venues.... I thought all the pieces had fallen into place. 

But it seems not. 

Not that it's any of my business really. 

Hey Russy.

Whilst I don't disagree with you on the pedigree or talent of the man, he's never going to top the pointed one.  He's just too divisive.  The chair and blanket brigade would be furious and may even leave the field!  For those punters - and Aunty Beeb - they need that field to be big names, singalong pop stuff and generic crowd pleasers.  Nick Cave in any guise just doesn't fit with that.

1 hour ago, Nicklord said:

I was watching videos from some previous shows today. Didn't want to spoil myself before except the setlist.

It seems they are trying different arrangements for some songs every few gigs. Final Rescue Attempt especially, sounded like 3 different songs so far. Into My Arms as well even.

Different arrangements of Into My Arms? Really?

Just now, majormajormajor said:

Different arrangements of Into My Arms? Really?

Sometimes they played it with a band (really just some light bass and drums) and sometimes it was just Nick alone on the stage with a piano. Not a huge change, mostly wanted to say it seems they didn't decide everything yet

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Hey Russy.

Whilst I don't disagree with you on the pedigree or talent of the man, he's never going to top the pointed one.  He's just too divisive.  The chair and blanket brigade would be furious and may even leave the field!  For those punters - and Aunty Beeb - they need that field to be big names, singalong pop stuff and generic crowd pleasers.  Nick Cave in any guise just doesn't fit with that.

See, I tend to agree...then every time I see them, I walk away thinking, surely anyone that was undecided but gave them a chance and watched that performance would be blown away. Don't necessarily think they are that much more divisive than some other headliners like Arcade Fire, Metallica, Gorillaz (ok, they stepped up last minute), even Radiohead at times (I absolutely loved their 2017 performance, but many of my mates that would claim to be Radiohead fans were unimpressed...guess they just wanted a repeat of 1997 or 2003!). There's a large contingent that reckon the last half hour/45 mins of The Cure was the only good bit (they're wrong, but they exist!). There's always been pop on the pyramid and yes the festival has moved a bit into promoting it to the top of the bill, but to suggest that only pop/generic acts can now headline is probably a stretch (I know this isn't what you are saying, and wholly agree that it wouldn't be a Stones/Stevie/Elton-sized crowd with many choosing to go elsewhere). But, I genuinely think there's room for all genres atop the big one. Don't put them on Sunday night and I believe they could actually pull it off and surprise many of the doubters. Who are the other options if looking for an established "alternative" act to top the bill and diversify the trio a bit?  Many of those that might fit the profile have done it recently, so why not a new bill topper and a critically acclaimed one at that? Given some of the acts wholeheartedly mentioned as pyramid headline-worthy on here, I'm going to come off the fence and say NC&TBS should headline. Feck it, they'd be immense. 

2 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

See, I tend to agree...then every time I see them, I walk away thinking, surely anyone that was undecided but gave them a chance and watched that performance would be blown away. Don't necessarily think they are that much more divisive than some other headliners like Arcade Fire, Metallica, Gorillaz (ok, they stepped up last minute), even Radiohead at times (I absolutely loved their 2017 performance, but many of my mates that would claim to be Radiohead fans were unimpressed...guess they just wanted a repeat of 1997 or 2003!). There's a large contingent that reckon the last half hour/45 mins of The Cure was the only good bit (they're wrong, but they exist!). There's always been pop on the pyramid and yes the festival has moved a bit into promoting it to the top of the bill, but to suggest that only pop/generic acts can now headline is probably a stretch (I know this isn't what you are saying, and wholly agree that it wouldn't be a Stones/Stevie/Elton-sized crowd with many choosing to go elsewhere). But, I genuinely think there's room for all genres atop the big one. Don't put them on Sunday night and I believe they could actually pull it off and surprise many of the doubters. Who are the other options if looking for an established "alternative" act to top the bill and diversify the trio a bit?  Many of those that might fit the profile have done it recently, so why not a new bill topper and a critically acclaimed one at that? Given some of the acts wholeheartedly mentioned as pyramid headline-worthy on here, I'm going to come off the fence and say NC&TBS should headline. Feck it, they'd be immense. 

I think the main issue as I see it is that the doubters wouldn't even give it a chance.  It would be roundly derided by your average punter in the run up, who would then ignore it altogether on the day.  Glastonbury I think would see this coming and wouldn't let that happen.  It would be like SZA - "small" crowd of die hard fans and no-one else.  Maybe not SZA small but nowhere near filling the field.

I'm an old man and huge music fan all my life.  I have a Glasto "family" of almost 50 people, my wife/kids all love music.  My Brother does.  I've other friends and few colleagues who are avid gig goers.  In discussions about artists, few split the crowd like Nick Cave and if I'm honest, the lovers are outnumbered by the haters and there is no in-between.  To use a worn out vernacular, he's like Marmite.  If my circle is anything to go by, then 75%-80% dislike his output/voice/attitude/whatever.  That's why he would never get the nod to do it.