Nick Cave

Midnight Man

1 hour ago, emmanuel said:

Nick Cave would obviously be a much better headliner than whatever generic rock band the festival has offered such as Arcade Fire, Arctic Monkeys, Guns'n'Roses or Kasabian. I won't compare with pop artists since it is really not the same thing.

But that's fine, not every festival has a bit of edge, and it is easy to see Nick Cave elsewhere.

Don’t think I’d put Arcade Fire and Kasabian in the same bracket at all. Win being an a**hole aside, Funeral is a genuine masterpiece.

• Upvote 1

Nick Cave: "I just feel – and I'm no friend of the government of Israel – but I just feel on some level that I find it difficult to come to terms with using my music in order to punish ordinary people because of the acts of their government." 

Some people online: "You genocide enthusiast!"

Edited by Nicklord
  • Upvote 3

On 10/18/2024 at 8:29 PM, russycarps said:

If they opened with jubilee Street they'd keep the crowd.

But you know they'd open with something like Loverman or Jack the ripper just to be bloody minded...

Eh? Jack the Ripper is a classic 'wall of sound' Bad Seeds live track. They'd probably end up opening with Bright Horses or something.

They should make festival sets 'bangers night'. Something like:

Jubilee Street

Hiding All Away

From Her to Eternity

Tupelo

Papa Won't Leave You Henry

Jack the Ripper

Midnight Man

Mercy Seat

Higgs Boson Blues

Red Right Hand

Do You Love Me?

Weeping Song

Stagger Lee

Edited by majormajormajor

2 hours ago, majormajormajor said:

Eh? Jack the Ripper is a classic 'wall of sound' Bad Seeds live track. They'd probably end up opening with Bright Horses or something.

Jubilee Street

Hiding All Away

From Her to Eternity

Tupelo

Jack the Ripper

Midnight Man

Mercy Seat

Higgs Boson Blues

Red Right Hand

Do You Love Me?

Weeping Song

Stagger Lee

You need The Ship Song on there, I'm sorry.

But as a general idea, yes.

3 hours ago, majormajormajor said:

Jubilee Street

Hiding All Away

From Her to Eternity

Tupelo

Jack the Ripper

Midnight Man

Mercy Seat

Higgs Boson Blues

Red Right Hand

Do You Love Me?

Weeping Song

Stagger Lee

My point was, Jubilee Street might hook a casual listener in the field. Jack the ripper probably would not (despite it being a classic).

2 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Jubilee Street is a tune on record. Live? Just goes to another level.

The video of the 2013 performance is on YouTube and is sensational.

The crowd reaction shots are ace. There's one guy who is clearly struggling to breathe in all his excitement and another chap seemingly dressed as Robin Hood who just looks utterly shellshocked.

It's tremendous stuff. 

But I'm sure Harry "The next Bowie" Styles or those American ex Disney girls will put on just as good a show.

Edited by russycarps

Just now, russycarps said:

another chap seemingly dressed as Robin Hood who just looks utterly shellshocked.

I have laughed at that little shot of Robin Hood many a time - he has no clue what the f**k is going on and it's tremendous.

3 hours ago, PDAD said:

I have laughed at that little shot of Robin Hood many a time - he has no clue what the f**k is going on and it's tremendous.

Dude seems so utterly out of place in that seething crowd. It looks like he entered that field from another dimension and this was his first introduction to our culture. 

I also love the way Nick dismisses the paps in that clip. 

Just absolutely wonderful scenes all round. 

Imagine thinking this band wouldn't ace a headline slot and desiring bubblegum pop instead. YIKES!

38 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

If you got two absolute monster headliners, and Glastonbury had a deep, enduring, affectionate love for Cave... then maybe.

But sadly, it's not the way the business works.

I have no idea about the current festival. But it seems to me that it's got no balls anymore.

11 hours ago, majormajormajor said:

Jubilee Street

Hiding All Away

From Her to Eternity

Tupelo

Jack the Ripper

Midnight Man

Mercy Seat

Higgs Boson Blues

Red Right Hand

Do You Love Me?

Weeping Song

Stagger Lee

Oh my sweet baby Jesus, I've found my Midnight Man loving concubine.

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Wouldn't say it's lost its balls, but its reputation as one of the biggest festivals in the world now comes with caveats.

It's always been the biggest festival in the world though. 

And in any case, would a single slightly alternative but massively critically acclaimed headliner really kill the festival?

Of course not. 

I'd say the bubblegum pop is far more damaging to it's reputation.

But then it's none of my business. It's not a festival for people like me anymore (or at least it wasn't last time I went pre pandemic).

Edited by russycarps

3 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

If you got two absolute monster headliners, and Glastonbury had a deep, enduring, affectionate love for Cave... then maybe.

But sadly, it's not the way the business works.

3 hours ago, russycarps said:

I have no idea about the current festival. But it seems to me that it's got no balls anymore.

Take away the subjective views of who is good or who is bad, an act that pulled the sub crowd that Nick Cave did before Mumford & Sons are not going to headline regardless of who the other headliners were. You compare his crowd to even like LCD Soundsystem and there is no comparison. And I'd say at the time Arctic Monkeys with an album that did very well for them and one of the top bookings in history they've made, possibly top two in The Rolling Stones are two that would make it possible. I don't like Little Simz but she will headline before Nick Cave does for certain.