Join our friendly community of music lovers and be part of the fun 😎

Nick Cave

Midnight Man

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

No he doesn't.  He says if he could only play for Russians that didn't support the invasion he would.  Different thing, and again implies it was a choice he made.

Eh? He would if he could? That's what I said. That's what he said. 

The implications being he clearly can't.  

Regardless...

He has supported Palestinian charities. You've misinterpreted where he's at regarding the conflicts. He distinguishes between them because they are different. FWIW I think Israel is wayyyyy more wrong than Hamas now amd has been for a long time, but that situation is CLEARLY way more complicated than Russia Ukraine and it is easier to publically be more pronounced about the latter due to the more (not completely, btw) one dimensional nature of that. But let's not go there. 

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

Having lived there for 17 years through a wide variety of methods, including work visa, HQS visa, diplomatic visa, temporary residency etc, I've got some knowledge of the logistics  involved in getting the paperwork done to get there.

If, when all this sh*t  is over, you still want to go, give me a shout and I can probably give you some pointers. 

Cheers mate, it depends how the dust settles, but if it's appropriate, I'd love to take you up on that.

20 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Now you're just making things up.

Someone called him on it in a Red Hand Files here: https://www.theredhandfiles.com/a-few-days-ago/ and you can read his justification for why he thinks all boycotts are wrong except for some boycotts.  Personally I think it's weak AF - his point about complexity is lazy and recycled ad nauseum by apartheid apologists - and assume if he'd been able to he'd have also played Sun City for a fat bag.

All of which is just on example of the broader point - that in 2025, the Cavester - with his Unherd interviews, his fondness for Andrew Sullivan and his boomer views on political correctness and cancel culture - is hardly edgy and he approaches things with the countercultural edge and outsider's perspective of a Mail reader.

This. 100% this.

To the point on playing for a fat bag -- the bloke just loves cash. Fair enough I guess, and I still fork out for him every times he tours, but it's really at saturation level. Back in 2018 I remember belly laughing with a mate when he released a Nick Cave skateboard. I just googled to remind myself of how ridiculous it was and saw that he's released a new one - a Wild God Skateboard. God-tier cringe.

20 hours ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

I've seen Olivia Rodrigo perform, fun live act. But to compare her to Cave and say it's all just pop music... well, it's not. I'll gladly make the argument that Cave operates at a much higher artistic level.

If Olivia insisted her band dress like charted accountants then perhaps she might be considered with more gravitas 

On 10/21/2024 at 8:00 PM, russycarps said:

Dude seems so utterly out of place in that seething crowd. It looks like he entered that field from another dimension and this was his first introduction to our culture. 

I also love the way Nick dismisses the paps in that clip. 

Just absolutely wonderful scenes all round. 

Imagine thinking this band wouldn't ace a headline slot and desiring bubblegum pop instead. YIKES!

I love NC&TBS

I was there and it was f**king aces

BUT

As evidenced by the clip, almost no one what there for them, very few knew the words or seemed to be into it.  I found the atmosphere very "waiting room" strange.  It's nothing to do with how skilled, eloquent, passionate, performative they are.  If you don't have mass appeal and can unite the majority of 80K+ people in a sing along then you aren't headlining el pointo.

I don't agree with it, but it's true.

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I love NC&TBS

I was there and it was f**king aces

BUT

As evidenced by the clip, almost no one what there for them, very few knew the words or seemed to be into it.  I found the atmosphere very "waiting room" strange.  It's nothing to do with how skilled, eloquent, passionate, performative they are.  If you don't have mass appeal and can unite the majority of 80K+ people in a sing along then you aren't headlining el pointo.

I don't agree with it, but it's true.

It was a sub slot, so not quite a fair analysis. They are always crowds full of people waiting for the headliner. 

It would be a different story as headliner, and nick is way more popular than in 2013 anyway. Selling out arenas, headlining huge festivals. 

Its a no brainer, and might just restore a tiny bit of the pyramid's battered credibility.

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

It was a sub slot, so not quite a fair analysis. They are always crowds full of people waiting for the headliner. 

It would be a different story as headliner, and nick is way more popular than in 2013 anyway. Selling out arenas, headlining huge festivals. 

Its a no brainer, and might just restore a tiny bit of the pyramid's battered credibility.

Plus M*mf*rd is music for people who don't like music, so they were always going to struggle with some music beforehand.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, majormajormajor said:

This. 100% this.

To the point on playing for a fat bag -- the bloke just loves cash. Fair enough I guess, and I still fork out for him every times he tours, but it's really at saturation level. Back in 2018 I remember belly laughing with a mate when he released a Nick Cave skateboard. I just googled to remind myself of how ridiculous it was and saw that he's released a new one - a Wild God Skateboard. God-tier cringe.

if you can’t see this sort of thing is a tongue in cheek piss take the joke is obviously lost