Nick Cave

Midnight Man

Romeo from The Magic Numbers held a gate open for me at Truck Festival once. Nice guy!

I held a door open for Michael Smiley (Tyres from Spaced) in a comedy club once. He didn't acknowledge me at all. He'd just been ripping into a drunk woman who kept talking during his set and then stormed off stage, but he could still have said 'thanks'!

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Rings of Saturn only comparatively weak point for me. And it is comparative. 

Few bits here and there seem lifted straight from push the sky away but don't think to any detriment. The female vocal just kicked in here and basically 'fuck me' is all I've got. 

Yeah I agree with that. Rings of Saturn would be my least favourite but it's all of a very high quality. Was that song in the film? I don't remember.

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

No. When the credits rolled there were only seven songs plus the one with Arthur singing listed. Thought that may have been on the album in some form but god knows how I'd have coped if it had been. 

Thanks for clarifying - I remember thinking "this is new" when I played the record. The other songs all stuck in my mind very clearly. 

4 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Can't stop listening to this. Gets more emotional every time. I never play albums on repeat for fear overplaying them but I can't help it with this. Twice a day minimum so far this week. 

And distant Sky makes me cry every time. 

It's so fucking beautiful, isn't it. The last three get me every time. 

Surely a stripped back show with PTSA, Boatman's an some of the slower earlier ones would work. Or play Skeleton Tree pretty much in full - it's only about 40mins and then do an hour of other stuff (or vice versa). 

That's a good call about Boatman's. Some of that would work really well. I'd be so up for a set that was Skeleton Tree in full with an encore afterwards, though. It seems wrong somehow to split it up amongst other things. 

There's also a lot of NMSWP would work too. 

But I agree. Full album (after slagging full album shows off for a while now), extended break for reflection. Come back on and smash into from her.... or papa won't leave... Thing is, that could be a big ask, emotionally, to give it his all after that start. He may find it easier to split it up amongst other tracks.

I agree, from a selfish point of view, as that's what I'd love. Somehow I just can't see them doing From Her, Papa, etc. Not at the moment. 

10 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It's so fucking beautiful, isn't it. The last three get me every time. 

That's a good call about Boatman's. Some of that would work really well. I'd be so up for a set that was Skeleton Tree in full with an encore afterwards, though. It seems wrong somehow to split it up amongst other things. 

I think the last three might be one of the best three-song runs I've ever heard. Absolutely spellbinding.

I don't really see a need to do an album in full show. They could, but I think the stuff will slot into a normal set or a more downtempo set. Plus, Distant Sky's gonna be hard unless Else Torp has a clear schedule and wants to be a Bad Seed so they might not be playing all the tracks.

Just now, dentalplan said:

I think the last three might be one of the best three-song runs I've ever heard. Absolutely spellbinding.

I don't really see a need to do an album in full show. They could, but I think the stuff will slot into a normal set or a more downtempo set. Plus, Distant Sky's gonna be hard unless Else Torp has a clear schedule and wants to be a Bad Seed so they might not be playing all the tracks.

Yeah that song would still be beautiful, but it would lose its impact without her for sure. That moment when her voice joins the song is just sublime. Tears were streaming in the cinema at this point. 

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah that song would still be beautiful, but it would lose its impact without her for sure. That moment when her voice joins the song is just sublime. Tears were streaming in the cinema at this point. 

Yeah it feels like an angel or something. Nick could actually sing it himself but it's sad enough as it is, I think I'd be destroyed forever.

I'm obsessed with this album, to the point I'm stopping other albums part way through to go back to it which is incredibly rare. Such a sad journey, one that anyone can relatively tap into (I'm not sure I've been through a trauma as great as his)

Would Boatman stuff work alongside it live? I know they're similar in pace and tone but there's a certain swagger to that album that puts it miles apart from this one for me. If he were to sing those songs with his current voice I think people ain't no good would actually kill me.

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

And all, especially @jeffie, shall bask in all its glory!!! 

Could a stripped back show headline the acoustic tent? Not sure I'd want that due to the risk of sound issues but think it's perfect sizewise. 

I've yet to tell him that the film is on at his local cinema soon, later than the others.

How big is the Acoustic tent compared to John Peel?

20 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I only properly got into him through these boards so that would've been hypocritical. 

Those albums are nothing like his new one but it's the way I got in.  But not much is to be fair. 

I've heard some of the new album and it does sounds like powerful stuff but I feel I need to know him better before I can expect him to open his heart and soul to me!