Latitude 2014

Gingerbond

I'm hoping for a surprise by a band/act that hasn't announced touring plans yet, such as Portishead/Massive Attack/Morrissey/David Bryne/Flaming Lips or even something totally out of the blue like Eric Clapton or Tom Waits.

Franz Ferdinand have headlined before (Latitude are yet to repeat a headline act) & Pixies playing Field Day makes them unlikely but not totally impossible.

I think it will be Manic Street Preachers though. (assuming only one headliner is announced.) I'm pretty sure Goldfrapp will be there as well, although I'm unsure if they're still big enough to headline.

I'm ball-quiche levels of sure it wont be the Mozfather or Tom Waits.

There have been some internet-musings that Metronomy might be given the bump, personally I can't see it happening, but if it does I will be extremely pleased.

Nah, surely Bugg is a bit too mainstream (for want of a better word)?

Besides, I'm sure the reason Foals did it last year was because Melvin wanted a trial run of a possible R&L headline slot- that can't be the case for Bugg

And there's the fact that the Latitude headliners (especially since this new booker took over) are much more in the... for lack of a better term, good music vein, Jake Bugg is horribly derivative, Foals are clearly a totally different beast to the most of their modern indie band brethren. And you can say what you want about Bloc Party, but they've never stayed still and been landfill or tried to just be what they were before, regardless of how far your mileage goes on what came after, Silent Alarm is a modern masterpiece.

Just released I can sum up my point with the rather obvious statement that Radio 6 played bands are the bands that will be playing.

Nah, surely Bugg is a bit too mainstream (for want of a better word)?

Besides, I'm sure the reason Foals did it last year was because Melvin wanted a trial run of a possible R&L headline slot- that can't be the case for Bugg

It's just a worst case scenario thing. Would be a lunge in the wrong direction. But the trial run thing could work for him too - he will headline large fests in a few years. But yeah as mentioned, he's derivative as fuck.

Just released I can sum up my point with the rather obvious statement that Radio 6 played bands are the bands that will be playing.

6music play Jake Bugg and The Vaccines.

6music play Jake Bugg and The Vaccines.

It occurs to me that I don't actually listen to Radio 6, I just listen to Jarvis Cocker's Sunday Service*, I'd extrapolated the fact that that's the only thing on the radio I ever listen to, coupled with the fact that the other presenters are quite cool (esp. Lauren Laverne), assumed all the music they play would just be the music I listen to. Once again, making blind assumptions has been my downfall, rest of my post still stands though.

*The eclectic mixed bag that Jarvis plays is likely in no way indicative of what will be on this year's line-up.

It occurs to me that I don't actually listen to Radio 6, I just listen to Jarvis Cocker's Sunday Service*, I'd extrapolated the fact that that's the only thing on the radio I ever listen to, coupled with the fact that the other presenters are quite cool (esp. Lauren Laverne), assumed all the music they play would just be the music I listen to. Once again, making blind assumptions has been my downfall, rest of my post still stands though.

*The eclectic mixed bag that Jarvis plays is likely in no way indicative of what will be on this year's line-up.

Yeah I know what you mean, they're a bit further towards the mainstream than Bloc Party or Foals or The Maccabees. By no means am I lobbying for Jake Bugg or The Vaccines, but the pessimist in me thinks that FR could probably pass them off to draw punters in. Neither are what I think or want to happen. :P

Anyway after bringing the mood down with the mention of Jake Bugg. This Coachella blogger (link) who's usually right about that festival has thrown up some interesting names. Mogwai would be a nice sub, Guided By Voices somewhere would be awesome.

Edited by dentalplan

Your probably right, was just thinking Paul Weller headlined this year and pretty much the same level.

Portishead fit latitude perfectly and vaccines/Bastille suit the new headliner for the young uns.

You can't compare Noel Gallagher to Paul Weller, that's criminal :P

Reckon Bastille are a bit on the small side & lack material

Your probably right, was just thinking Paul Weller headlined this year and pretty much the same level.

Portishead fit latitude perfectly and vaccines/Bastille suit the new headliner for the young uns.

Did I skip a year? Weren't the headliners Bloc Party, Foals and Kraftwerk?