Favourite Venue?

Guest BlackHole2006

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kazimier in Liverpool, it's all on different levels, to the point where when i saw the horrors there last year, I was actually stood next to the Keyboard player :lol:

Big love also for O2 Academy Leeds, O2 Academy Bournemouth, Kentish Forum, Dingwalls they're great.

As for Arena's Leeds Arena is a belter really like that

Whereas, I loved the Apollo in Manchester when i saw Kasabian, but when i saw Courteeners, Frank Turner, White Lies it just felt too big and i didn't like it at all.

For a good sweaty gig, the academy in Liverpool is great, it makes you wonder how they ever passed inspections cause it's just a major sweatbox

There are probably more, but can't think!

Bournemouth academy is pretty cool as its an old opera house. But its in the middle of boscombe high street which is a proper shit hole!

For bad venues i'm gonna stick bristol anson rooms out there - i think it's just in the middle of some old gymnasium or something, pants.

My favourite in london is great suffolk warehouse - saw disclosure live there earlier in the year and it was really cool, tucked under some bridge near waterloo.

Visiting Barrowlands is actually on my bucket list, I've only ever heard great things from those who visit it!

Going down to see The Prodigy at the BIC in Bournemouth - anyone been? Any good? The Prodigy have gone on record saying its one of their favourite venues to play so must be okay I guess! I don't even know how big it is tbh though

Colston Hall in Bristol is gorgeous, and has fantastic acoustics. Love that place. Second the earlier shout about Leeds Cockpit as well, that's excellent.

Relentless Garage would be my fav London venue, but Brixton, Heaven and Roundhouse are excellent as well. I think Koko's only good if you're right near the front, I find it a bit crap further back or on a higher floor.

Oh, and I agree about London crowds being more likely to be crap. It's something I've found far more often there than anywhere else.

anyone ever seen a gig at that colisseum thing in Verona? I was going to go and see leonard cohen there a few years back, but the grotesque price the trip would have cost made it impossible.

It looks wondrous, but I wonder how good the sound is

4875-EN_arenadiverona_aida2012_ennevipho

I find Southampton Guildhall just plain weird for gigs various though and usually pretty poor acoustically into the bargain as well ... unless it's more of a classical affair or involves the old Compton Organ course ! The BIC is just a tin shed. Been to many really excellent gigs there since it first opened but at the end of the day it's still just a big shed rather than a venue offering something rather more than 4 walls and a roof. It's also got the sh!test bar service of any venue that I've ever been to at any time <_< TBH, I very much prefer older venues that have some history and plenty of character so to speak. The Pavilion Theatre is actually quite good for gigs not really big enough for the BIC. Southampton Guildhall has to be very much near the bottom of my preferred venue list for bands and Brixton (or even Hammersmith Apollo) is always going to be near the top despite the additional expense and inconvenience of getting there. For really small gigs, I have a real liking for The Borderline for some strange reason. Seen plenty of mostly 'unknowns' there and always had a bl**dy good time anyway.