The National

Zoo Music Girl

On 3/18/2024 at 12:35 PM, matrainertje said:

Make a playlist with these songs: Fake Empire, Afraid Of Everyone, Space Invader, Slow Show, Eucalyptus, Bloodbuzz Ohio, Apartment Story, Abel, Hey Rosie, Rylan, Geese Of Beverly Road, Mistaken For Strangers, I Need My Girl, Smoke Detector and About Today.

See if you want to keep listening after that. 

On 3/18/2024 at 1:31 PM, charlierc said:

I assume they'll play England at Glastonbury, so maybe lob in that one too.

On 3/18/2024 at 12:09 PM, 1986 said:

For the sake of your decision I'd just cheat and find a playlist of one of their recent set lists. Assuming you have Spotify or whatever.

OK, let’s go:

My only previous experience of the band is their cover of Peggy-O from this Grateful Dead covers compilation and coney island. 

1 hour ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

OK, let’s go:

My only previous experience of the band is their cover of Peggy-O from this Grateful Dead covers compilation and coney island. 

Melbourne night 2 was way more random than a standard setlist in fairness. Go for the one in Auckland, that'll be a lot closer to the Glasto set.

Edit to say it was still a fantastic set. Slipping Husband was a joy! But lots won't get a Glasto airing sadly. 

Edited by nickkkw
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nickkkw said:

Melbourne night 2 was way more random than a standard setlist in fairness. Go for the one in Auckland, that'll be a lot closer to the Glasto set.

Edit to say it was still a fantastic set. Slipping Husband was a joy! But lots won't get a Glasto airing sadly. 

This one closer to your predicted Glasto set?

5 hours ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

This one closer to your predicted Glasto set?

Yeah much closer. Actually posted this prediction for Glastonbury a couple of pages ago - taken into account it'll be a shorter set than their own headline shows:

Once Upon a Poolside
Eucalyptus
Tropic Morning News
System Only Dreams
Bloodbuzz
I Need My Girl
Graceless
Space Invader
Alien
Day I Die
England
Fake Empire
Terrible Love
Mr November
About Today
Vanderlyle

• Thanks 2

On 4/1/2024 at 7:44 PM, nickkkw said:

Yeah much closer. Actually posted this prediction for Glastonbury a couple of pages ago - taken into account it'll be a shorter set than their own headline shows:

Once Upon a Poolside
Eucalyptus
Tropic Morning News
System Only Dreams
Bloodbuzz
I Need My Girl
Graceless
Space Invader
Alien
Day I Die
England
Fake Empire
Terrible Love
Mr November
About Today
Vanderlyle

I'd swap Alien & Day I Die for Smoke Detector.

On 4/6/2024 at 11:27 AM, Kaboom Boxer said:

So these lads are pretty good, eh? 

So I’ve done both playlists now and from the 42 tracks (minus seven repeats, so 35) I hearted 26 on Spotify which is an unprecedented hit rate for me. You’ve found yourselves a convert guys, now I just have to  spend the next eleven and a bit weeks struggling with the probable Justice clash. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

So I’ve done both playlists now and from the 42 tracks (minus seven repeats, so 35) I hearted 26 on Spotify which is an unprecedented hit rate for me. You’ve found yourselves a convert guys, now I just have to  spend the next eleven and a bit weeks struggling with the probable Justice clash. 

One of us! One of us!

7 hours ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

They are doing a whole week of UK shows after Glastonbury if that is an option.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

Ooh this may work. Castlefield Bowl is a great venue too:

image.jpeg.fc567a6124843005207b152b95051c0a.jpeg

image.jpeg.05531e96e35ad9ba35873979864ec5cf.jpeg

Went there in 2019 to see Bloc Party. Really nice venue, so I can back that up. Even if I didn't fancy falling on a concrete floor during the moshpit to Helicopter.

Saying that, I doubt The National has a risk of big mosh-ready tracks.

I have actually seen the National in castlefield Bowl before as well as a lot of other gigs it is good.  

Only tip for that place is get in early and go near the front. Before the slope. (Or up on the steps if you prefer further back) 

The back of the crowd on the flat always has constant stream of people moving left to right and it's a bit of a nightmare. People comming back from bar toilet etc....

Edited by Ben7amin_
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
20 minutes ago, The Other Steve said:

Primavera setlist.  I'd expect something very similar to this for Glastonbury.

608462384_Screenshot2024-06-10at09_03_53.thumb.png.301b3b4e5608188a4b2fa88efc949f35.png

This is a good rocky setlist that would please fans and casuals.

However this one from Rome at the start of the month would be my ideal
image.png.bd725bdf6e50939e2886c5d59e7fd71a.png

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, 1986 said:

This is a good rocky setlist that would please fans and casuals.

However this one from Rome at the start of the month would be my ideal
image.png.bd725bdf6e50939e2886c5d59e7fd71a.png

Totally agree on the above but would just need the inclusion of About Today and Start A War to make it perfect for me.  Seen them a lot but still never heard Runaway or Start A War live and they are two of my favourites.

Need to add Pink Rabbits into these set lists.  When I saw them at Leeds Arena a few years ago they added it into the set list as someone near the front gave him a pink rabbit toy.  I am seriously considering getting on the barrier with my mate in full Pink Rabbit costume to try and influence things!

• Upvote 2

Think there's more chance that Pink Rabbits makes an appearance at the London gig afterwards than a festival gig. Seems like they're dropping Vanderlyle a bit more often now too for festival shows and endng on About Today - which kinda makes sense.

Just really hope they keep Smoke Detector in for the Glasto set, with only 1.5 hours I think they might drop it sadly. which would be gutting. Glasto will be my 8th National show of the year so I'm way more relaxed now over what songs they'll play, just looking forward to seeing how the performance goes down now!

Edited by nickkkw

Has it ever happened at Glasto that the same artist makes a guest appearance at two simultaneous gigs?

Phoebe Bridgers could possibly pop up at SZA (Ghost in the machine) and The National (This Isn't helping, Laugh Track, Your mind is not your friend)