Earth Wind and Fire

Guest Alcatraz

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be fooled by the "Earth Wind and Fire Experience" - they're actually called the Al McKay Allstars. They highlight the "Earth Wind and Fire" in large lettering and the Experience in tiny lettering to make people think they're the real thing. Shame about the dodgy advertising cos they're not bad - but not like the real EWF.

The real EWF has Philip Bailey, Verdine White and Ralph Johnson at its core. You don't see those guys.....you haven't got EWF! These guys put on an awesome show and last I heard it was being worked on to get them to Glastonbury.

So listen up Glastonbury organisers! Don't be fooled and make sure you get the real thing - you will NOT be disappointed!!!!

I thought Philip Bailey was with Verdine and Ralph on this years Jules Holland series, Indeed i think they were touring ?

I see he's currently listed as a member, so it looks like you're right for right now.

I can't remember exactly when it was I looked to see if he was involved, tho I'm pretty sure it was within the last 18 months. He wasn't listed as a member when I looked previously, that much I know.

I am sure that they said they were releasing new material as well on Jolls's show, Philip Bailey and Vern were definately there. As said before it wouldn't be EWF without them. Just a pity Maurice has his illness really.

I am sure that they said they were releasing new material as well on Jolls's show, Philip Bailey and Vern were definately there. As said before it wouldn't be EWF without them. Just a pity Maurice has his illness really.

yeah, their wiki says a new album would be released last year.... but it doesn't look like it has been.

Mmm, it would be great if they were still to be around come the fest though and if the bookers could get them. I reckon the West holts team might be on the case, especially after the last two years that have been a success with Kool and the Gang and Chic, EWF would be perfect.

Mmm, it would be great if they were still to be around come the fest though and if the bookers could get them. I reckon the West holts team might be on the case, especially after the last two years that have been a success with Kool and the Gang and Chic, EWF would be perfect.

last spring I gave the West Holt booker a list of his three headliners for 2014 so he could take the next year off ( :P). It included EWF.

So I reckon I've screwed all chances of that happening. :lol:

:), so you put a jinx on it, doh! I wouldn't mind Shalama as well, were they on it?

nah ... one of the others was David Byrne, and I think the third was Stephen Marley (tho I can't be sure now).

But anyway, like most people I reckon Steve the West Holts booker doesn't much like being told how to do his job by no-marks like me, and so I really do think I've probably put a jinx on it. Sorry about that. :lol:

EWF's new album is indeed out, it's called "Now, Then and Forever". It's fab, and as a huge fan I've got to say it's the best thing they've done in at least 20 years. And yes, they tour extensively. They sold out the Royal Albert Hall in October for the best concert I've ever been to. Seen em 4 times, not sure how they'll top the RAH. Fantastic stuff!

Philip Bailey and Ralph Johnson have been members since 1972. Verdine White is Maurice's brother and was there at the start in 1971. He's been the group's only bassist since then and he is superb!

Edited by DPMac66

Philip Bailey and Ralph Johnson have been members since 1972. Verdine White is Maurice's brother and was there at the start in 1971. He's been the group's only bassist since then and he is superb!

Philip Bailey hasn't been a constant member tho, at least, not for all activities that the band has done.

He was listed as an ex-member on wiki at some point in the last few years (tho I guess it's possible that wiki was wrong), and i'm pretty sure he wasn't involved at around the time he did that stuff with Phil Collins.

If you've put forward EWF as one to get for 2014 and as said above they are together , have new material and have been touring then perhaps there is more than a 50% chance of them being at G Come June? Come on West holts bookers get them booked! Let's start a rumour!

"Philip Bailey hasn't been a constant member tho, at least, not for all activities that the band has done.

He was listed as an ex-member on wiki at some point in the last few years (tho I guess it's possible that wiki was wrong), and i'm pretty sure he wasn't involved at around the time he did that stuff with Phil Collins."

Ah, you're right there about Phil Collins, "Chinese Wall" etc. Maurice put the whole band on hiatus in 1983, they returned in 1987. So Philip has been a constant member when the band has been in operation. Save for that 4 year break, they've been going since 1971.

Edited by DPMac66

• 2 weeks later...