Taking kids out of school without being fined?

Guest HuggyHare

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its true Glastonbury would be better for your kids than a couple of days in school, that's a fact. However not all kids go to Glastonbury.

Some don't go to school because their parents cant be arsed about their schooling.

A blanket policy to discourage parents taking their kids out of school is essential.

If you can afford Glastonbury, you can afford a fine.

Frankly, its one of these nice problems.

Trying to scheme your way around it isn't on.

When I was a kid (30 years ago) I would be pulled most summers before the break. We used to have a school play at the end of the year and if you were not going to be in it, you had to sit and watch everyone else rehearse for weeks. Usually about 3 or 4 kids in the same boat.

Id imagine Glastonbury was pretty different 30 years ago too. Things change.

If teachers were told to look at these bleeting letters about how Glastonbury or whatever is better than school, then judge if a fine is due or not, they would strike unless paid more. Fact.

Edited by tonyblair

Here in Dundee our schools close for 5 days in service training a year on top of holidays seems it doesn't effect children's education on those days.

We tell the school our child is going to Glastonbury they put it down as an unauthorised absence but are never nasty about it. Luckily there are no fines here yet...

You have to take the emotional attachment out of Glastonbury really and look at how if parents were allowed to take their kids out of school all year long randomly (even if its for 4/5 days each) how much time that the teachers have to put up with catching those kids up with the rest of the classs, which results in lost time with the other kids?

Yeah Glastonbury offers something else, but I can see why schools would need to try to keep kids in school at roughly the same time as each other and be fair to all parents.

Edited by LondonTom

You have to take the emotional attachment out of Glastonbury really and look at how if parents were allowed to take their kids out of school all year long randomly (even if its for 4/5 days each) how much time that the teachers have to put up with catching those kids up with the rest of the classs, which results in lost time with the other kids?

Yeah Glastonbury offers something else, but I can see why schools would need to try to keep kids in school at roughly the same time as each other and be fair to all parents.

I wonder how many of the people that think it's ok for families to be fined for taking their kids out of school for a couple of days a year actually have kids... As previously stated, it's just another way that this current government has found to get money out of the people that can least afford it.

I wonder how many of the people that think it's ok for families to be fined for taking their kids out of school for a couple of days a year actually have kids... As previously stated, it's just another way that this current government has found to get money out of the people that can least afford it.

Edited by russycarps

Spot on. I suppose there could be an argument made for fining chronic offenders, but for someone who takes 1 or 2 days off for glastonbury? Come off it.

People seem to forget schools are public institutions.

I've taught Primary for 6 years so here's my advice..

Don't write a letter. Say they both have flu for 3 days. Quite mormal for siblings to both be ill.

They will be suspicious but there's nothing they can do. Crucially, they will mark down 'ill' in the register which doesn't effect the overall yearly percentage/ ofsted mark etc.

It is true that Glastonbury would be educational, but a head would be making a wrong choice (professionally) to grant you permission as an 'educational visit' as this is subjective and would open up so many other debates about if a holiday at the end of term to India or a trip to London is educational etc.. "Why have we been fined and not them" etc..You have to be very careful about being clear and fair in a school of hundreds of different parents with different opinions/ cultures/ ethics.

If the head did grant you permission and it got out, the 'Daily Mail' would love that kind of article on a slow news day.

Edited by danbailey80

By that time in June most of all the teaching has been done, it's a wind down to Summer with the exception of those undergoing exams. It's a crock of shit fining people who want to take their kids to the Festival.