Taking kids out of school without being fined?

Guest HuggyHare

Depending on where you work, if you can get a letter from your manager saying that the dates the kids will be out of school are the only dates you can have off work due to business needs, I believe the school has to accept this as exceptional circumstances and you can avoid being fine!

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or just refuse to pay the fine.... what are they going to do, threaten you with legal action for the sake of £100?

as was said earlier, if a parent says they can't afford the fine i am sure there is pretty much nothing the school can do.

but yeah in all honesty just lie and say they are ill.

If a teacher can't manage a class because a kid takes a few days out of school, then there's something wrong with the system (..... where should I start..??). What do they do when a kid is ill? What do they do when a teacher is ill? My kids had to contend with numerous occasions when they're work was disrupted by teachers not being there all the time. One teacher was repeatedly replaced with other supply teachers because she had to take time off to look after her kids. Should the school be fined for delivering a less than adequate service?

Edited by LondonTom

Yep and I'd say there was plenty wrong with the current education system...

Can you see not see how if all 30 kids were taking time off for holidays, it could effect teaching through out the year under the current system? (and these holidays would be on top of any time the kids had off as you pointed out for being ill.).

I think you might be straying into employment law with your last point, but if you want to start sacking teachers who get ill then I guess you could find the school?

(I'd like to point I don't agree at all with the two above formed a band and Klyde....just I can see why the current school system needs to control when kids are off.)

you dont think you should accept consiquences ?

When the schools are made to meet a set of targets and tick boxes, its reasonable to expect that they will focus less on the kids' education and possess little to no common sense when approaching a situation like this.

If it makes you feel any better, whenever I see a picture of Gove I imagine him in one of the lower reaches of Dante's Inferno in the afterlife. Good stuff.

P.S. I understand the moral complications with lying to the school, but personally I think it's a moral issue that - with money as tight as it is - a family has to fork out an extra £240 to give the kids an education that they will not receive staring at a grey classroom wall for 5 days :)

P.S. I understand the moral complications with lying to the school, but personally I think it's a moral issue that - with money as tight as it is - a family has to fork out an extra £240 to give the kids an education that they will not receive staring at a grey classroom wall for 5 days :)

Edited by whisty

I don't have any moral issues whatsover with lying to "the man" to achieve something personal that does absolutely no harm to man nor beast, it's a no brainer. As for the 240 or whatever the cost which many can't afford, it's ok for the school to organise a trip to plasticland in Paris at probably double that all in, where a proportion of the class are not able to afford it and sit in a class for several days with f all to do. As for me I know where I'd prefer my children to go and for those under 12 the price is 0. I'm pleased I have a mind of my own & want my children to have the same freedom of mind, not what "the man" want's them to think.

Klyde and Formed a Band

sitting in a tree,

K-I-S-S-I-N-G.

First comes love,

then comes marriage,

then comes baby

in a baby carriage!