Taking kids out of school without being fined?

Guest HuggyHare

I assume this is only Primary School is it?

Mental, we always used to fly off everywhere when we were younger, and i'm not that old!

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its secondary as well these days. It's become very strict, although I think it does still slightly depend on the school.

It is ridiculous, but as ever its because there are a small number of people who have acted irresponsibly (by consistently taking their kids for weeks or even months off school) that the majority suffer.

its wrong ......and now all the holiday company's have doubled or more there prices so its even harder to take your child on a family holiday .......i admit you cant just keep taking them out of school but finning parents is not the best way .just make sure they keep up and catch up on there schooling .

thank god my kids are old enough but if they were not id fuck the system and take them on at least ONE family hol at my choosing .

A fair question...

It's for the best of the child. Remember that is the number one priority of all eductaion. It's not to piss off parents.

We are not talking about a few days a year for a nice, middle class family. They are trying to do something to stop familes who's children miss about 20/ 30% of school; which dramaticly effects children's levels. This can occur in deprived inner-city areas and in the traveller communities for example.

That is where they are coming from. It's a government policy, which in turn effects Ofsted and therefore schools (who are keen to get the best Ofsted mark). This doesn't mean I agree by the way just trying to explain the reasons.

That said, do I give a shit if children are out my class for a few days at Glastonbury. Absolutely not. Live life and spend time with your family. But do I care when children, who beg to go to school aren't coming because their parents can't be bothered/ are too tired/ hungover/ leaving them at home alone; yes I do.

So to conclude, don't write a letter, your head can't make exceptions. Say they are ill, end of.

And...'formed a band'; did you miss much of school?

Edited by HuggyHare

It turns out my kids junior school only refers an absence on to the LEA for a fine if absences are persistent. She said all the other local schools are the same, bar one that always fines. I went to see her to talk in person about absence for Glastonbury, fully expecting the outcome to be I would have to suck up a fine. I took with me the cheesy letter detailing the great educational benefits, and my kid's good attendance record, but didn't let her keep it, I didn't want it kept on file. I stressed I understood she couldn't authorise the absence, and I think she was quite cool about it really but her hands are tied, she did grant permission last year.

It is all a crock of shite really as someone has said, and yes I want my kids to question whether rules are good ones or not.

...or maybe just don't take them out of school? There are other opportunities for them to have a Glastonbury-like experience outside of normal school time. It's just that it's Glastonbury and you want to go, so people are making out as though the system is fucked. Maybe it is, but until it's changed, you can't moan about a fine, which has been put in place to stop people taking the piss (Not saying you are, but people do).

Edited by Superscally

...or maybe just don't take them out of school? There are other opportunities for them to have a Glastonbury-like experience outside of normal school time. It's just that it's Glastonbury and you want to go, so people are making out as though the system is fucked. Maybe it is, but until it's changed, you can't moan about a fine, which has been put in place to stop people taking the piss (Not saying you are, but people do).

There seem to be two defined sides in this argument.. Personally, I feel very angry at the moment at having to lie to school. As danbailey says, they cannot make exceptions, so in many ways it's easier not to put them in the position of having to refuse leave, even though they may well know what you are really doing. That's made more awkward as I have twins in one class at primary and one at secondary, so it's pretty obvious really!

But I'm a person who puts a lot back into school, and I'm even chair of governors at the moment. My kids don't miss much school, but if I, as their mother think they need it, or we want to do something worthwhile, I will take them out. School is not a prison, and it's starting to feel like one!

There is more to life than becoming a prole in this society, and kids flourish when given different experiences. So ultimately I dig my heels in on this one. We are going to Glastonbury, and I'll pay the fine if I have to.

On the other side I know there are swathes of people who think that is irresponsible and we should have to tow the line. Nah..one life to live and we are our own masters, not the government!

Edited by swede

There seem to be two defined sides in this argument.. Personally, I feel very angry at the moment at having to lie to school. As danbailey says, they cannot make exceptions, so in many ways it's easier not to put them in the position of having to refuse leave, even though they may well know what you are really doing. That's made more awkward as I have twins in one class at primary and one at secondary, so it's pretty obvious really!

But I'm a person who puts a lot back into school, and I'm even chair of governors at the moment. My kids don't miss much school, but if I, as their mother think they need it, or we want to do something worthwhile, I will take them out. School is not a prison, and it's starting to feel like one!

There is more to life than becoming a prole in this society, and kids flourish when given different experiences. So ultimately I dig my heels in on this one. We are going to Glastonbury, and I'll pay the fine if I have to.

On the other side I know there are swathes of people who think that is irresponsible and we should have to tow the line. Nah..one life to live and we are our own masters, not the government!

Great post. School is not a prison, you are damn right.

Out of interest, are there any instances of people being prosecuted for not paying the fine I wonder?

a brave new world indeed!

That also brings up another aspect which has affected us. My wife works as an administrator at a University, and has to be back at work by the middle of August to get ready for the new year. We had a very small window where we could go on holiday together

"a £63 victim surcharge"... wtf?

I went in to speak to my headteacher earlier in the year and told him we were would be taking my 7 year old out of school in June , he asked why I couldn't take him out in the holidays so I said we had been lucky enough to get tickets to what would be his 5th Glastonbury Festival and it was only on in June .

I explained it was somewhere I'd taken my older children (now doing A levels and Uni so their education had been undamaged by the annual week off school ) they had benefited from the experience without asking permission from the authorities. He suggested I wrote a letter to accompany the time off request form explaining what educational benefit it had so I did and I have permission .

I said Glastonburys what you make of it and there's far more than just what's covered on BBC, I pointed out the green Fields and environmental stuff, theatre/craft workshops ,poetry corner and Michael Rosen childrens writer, and also the objectives Glastonbury /ethos .

I think they look at each case individually and may not be as kind if it happens every year -but its worth a try!

He was also aware I was going to take him out "permission" or not , so its actually better for the schools absence record to grant permission .

Edited by Lela

I went in to speak to my headteacher earlier in the year and told him we were would be taking my 7 year old out of school in June , he asked why I couldn't take him out in the holidays so I said we had been lucky enough to get tickets to what would be his 5th Glastonbury Festival and it was only on in June .

I explained it was somewhere I'd taken my older children (now doing A levels and Uni so their education had been undamaged by the annual week off school ) they had benefited from the experience without asking permission from the authorities. He suggested I wrote a letter to accompany the time off request form explaining what educational benefit it had so I did and I have permission .

I said Glastonburys what you make of it and there's far more than just what's covered on BBC, I pointed out the green Fields and environmental stuff, theatre/craft workshops ,poetry corner and Michael Rosen childrens writer, and also the objectives Glastonbury /ethos .

I think they look at each case individually and may not be as kind if it happens every year -but its worth a try!

He was also aware I was going to take him out "permission" or not , so its actually better for the schools absence record to grant permission .

That's the problem though..once you let them know you are going, if they cannot grant permission, it's actually worse for their records to have unauthorised absence..their hands are tied! So I think that calling them in sick is just playing the game. I truly believe many teachers know it is good for kids to have these experiences, but Gove has put them between a rock and a hard place.

He most certainly has, he has taken common sense decision making away from schools. I try to teach my children to be honest and don't want them feeling stressed about not saying where they are going, my sons excited to ride bikes to power electricity in the green fields and see Metallica,(but is a bit sad Jay z isn't there lol obviously got controversial tastes).

He should be able to share his experiences , if we manage to get tickets again , it will be interesting to see what happens then.

I don't tell my kids to lie..the school knows where they are really, so it's not an issue. In fact last year, they brought in a set of photos to show the class. I'm really talking record keeping for the school as the biggest hurdle. There is no way they are going to keep quiet about going to Glastonbury!

In life, we surely all need to learn to play systems? You cannot tell me that you never have to work your way around things? In the end there is honesty at the bottom of it all. I explain exactly what I am going to say and the reasons why to my kids. They aren't stupid, and I don't want them to think that unquestioning obedience is the only path! They know that school is important and they work hard too!

The system is fucked (or more likely that particular Head is fucked) if he/she didn't let your child off for being ill, but that's different. Kids don't "need" to go to Glastonbury - the learning experiences there can be gained at other festivals - the aforementioned Shambala being a great example. This is purely parents' selfishness at wanting to go to Glastonbury. If there is an alternative (that costs less) and has a crowd that actually places far less emphasis on getting fucked up, that takes place outside school time, therefore maximising learning opportunities, surely this is a better environment for your children to be in?

The system is fucked (or more likely that particular Head is fucked) if he/she didn't let your child off for being ill, but that's different. Kids don't "need" to go to Glastonbury - the learning experiences there can be gained at other festivals - the aforementioned Shambala being a great example. This is purely parents' selfishness at wanting to go to Glastonbury. If there is an alternative (that costs less) and has a crowd that actually places far less emphasis on getting fucked up, that takes place outside school time, therefore maximising learning opportunities, surely this is a better environment for your children to be in?

I don't see Glastonbury as that - but, an increasing number do, as you would know from attending numerous times. Not saying you shouldn't go, it's a decision you have to make and I think it's ace that kids are there, but that's your decision about taking them out and if the school doesn't like it, you can't complain about the consequences. The best thing to do is tell the school what your plan is, make it a genuine learning experience and if they don't like it, it appears as though that school doesn't fit with your idea of how your children should be brought up, so you should probably change their school, to one that thinks it's ok. Win win.

TB - I don't accept the rules blindly, I endeavour to find ways around them. If I can't, I suck it up.

Edited by Superscally