Taking kids out of school without being fined?

Guest HuggyHare

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do tell the school where they are going, you haven't read my posts. Because it is a very freethinking school, they understand, but they STILL have their hands tied on authorising leave. So we play the game and I call them in sick. Because I am involved closely with the school, I have spoken honestly to the head about it, and this is a way that makes it easier for them, and better for their all important stats. I'm not complaining about the consequences at all.. I said that if I had to pay a fine, I would do so, no problem, but I am also a free person in this life and the school does not own my kids!

A reply to superscally, not you lela! :)

Edited by acidpod23

I don't see Glastonbury as that - but, an increasing number do, as you would know from attending numerous times. Not saying you shouldn't go, it's a decision you have to make and I think it's ace that kids are there, but that's your decision about taking them out and if the school doesn't like it, you can't complain about the consequences. The best thing to do is tell the school what your plan is, make it a genuine learning experience and if they don't like it, it appears as though that school doesn't fit with your idea of how your children should be brought up, so you should probably change their school, to one that thinks it's ok. Win win.

Edited by tonyblair

Surely that's because they don't want to/can't be bothered? I dunno... My mate's kids were allowed to go two years in a row at least, but they had to do a project. That was just a normal school, with a juniors and seniors. This was 09 and 10 though, so maybe things have changed with the new government....

It's not a drastic and pointless option at all TB - if my kids weren't in a school that I thought was right for them, I'd change it.

Edited by Superscally

Well that is your view on Glastonbury, if you see it as somewhere with "emphasis in getting fucked up". This festival is part of our family lifestyle, a place I have been going to long before having kids, and a place I want to share with them. Every year we see friends we seldom otherwise see, and the kids experience things they cannot elsewhere actually. It is not selfish, it is one of the finest most pleasurable gifts in life that I want to share. I don't know if you have kids superscally, but maybe if you do one day you will see things differently. No, they don't "need" to go, and nor do I, but we will! Over the years, experiences like this have taught me about freedom tempered with responsibility, and I think that is one of the most valuable lessons in life.

Surely that's because they don't want to/can't be bothered? I dunno... My mate's kids were allowed to go two years in a row at least, but they had to do a project. That was just a normal school, with a juniors and seniors. This was 09 and 10 though, so maybe things have changed with the new government....

It's not a drastic and pointless option at all TB - if my kids weren't in a school that I thought was right for them, I'd change it.

The system is fucked (or more likely that particular Head is fucked) if he/she didn't let your child off for being ill, but that's different. Kids don't "need" to go to Glastonbury - the learning experiences there can be gained at other festivals - the aforementioned Shambala being a great example. This is purely parents' selfishness at wanting to go to Glastonbury. If there is an alternative (that costs less) and has a crowd that actually places far less emphasis on getting fucked up, that takes place outside school time, therefore maximising learning opportunities, surely this is a better environment for your children to be in?

Edited by swede

Look into the particulars, see how it fits in with the curriculum like an earlier poster mentioned (allowing it to be accepted as a valid reason to be off) and just basically be...helpful.

To the post above - I know I was never taken out of school...

Edited by Superscally

Obviously the system sucks but is easily beaten by phoning your kids in sick. This should be no cause for guilt or moral dilemma, it's up to you if you want your kids to go to Glastonbury at the expense of a few school days.

Stick it to the man and play the flu card. All the school cares about are the stats anyway.

Everyone's a winner.

Look into the particulars, see how it fits in with the curriculum like an earlier poster mentioned (allowing it to be accepted as a valid reason to be off) and just basically be...helpful.

Obviously the system sucks but is easily beaten by phoning your kids in sick. This should be no cause for guilt or moral dilemma, it's up to you if you want your kids to go to Glastonbury at the expense of a few school days.

Stick it to the man and play the flu card. All the school cares about are the stats anyway.

Everyone's a winner.

Each education authority seems to have it's own set of rules regarding this.

Worth checking this out the council website before sending in your request form so that you know what is / is not officially allowed.

I think that the school (where we are) is not actually able to fine a parent, but must send the information on to the relevant attendance bod at the council for them to then decide.

It seems you would need to take 5 days off, then in the first instance they would send you a warning letter. The following year they could fine you as you had already been warned.

This is not the impression the schools give though, so definitely check out what the actual rules are for your area (not sure about 'academies' though).

If we don't take the kids with us, we wouldn't be able to go to Glastonbury for years!!! Having said that, we alternate who goes early to set up tent etc, then the kids only miss school on the Friday and Monday.

Every time i put in a holiday request at work for time off during school holidays, it is usually turned down, due to the fact i work in catering So as a parent with a child with 100% attendance, why should a week off for Glastonbury really hurt. There are kids in his class who have at least a day a week off.

In life, we surely all need to learn to play systems? You cannot tell me that you never have to work your way around things? In the end there is honesty at the bottom of it all. I explain exactly what I am going to say and the reasons why to my kids. They aren't stupid, and I don't want them to think that unquestioning obedience is the only path! They know that school is important and they work hard too!

The Tories care only about money and have no souls, so they can't comprehend that kids and people can benefit from something that isn't part of their regimented training system to pump out future cheap labour. There's so much more to life than just being on a conveyor belt, so I think it's great that some parents are going to flout the ridiculous fining rules.

It's worrying that Gove and co want children to spend even more time at school, with tough exams- I'd say work has one of the most detrimental impacts on peoples mental and physical health, it's really worrying that children are being pushed more and more away from play and leisure time (which is a great time for them to learn about themselves, other people and the world around them) to mind numbing regimented teaching and study.

I remember my son telling me how he and his friend were walking down the railway line one morning when they spotted their Maths teacher coming the other way. No time to hide or turn around. As they passed each other they just said "Morning Mr Caruthers" and he replied "Morning Jones, Morning Smith". Clearly the teacher was also bunking off since no mention was ever made of it by any of them ever again!