Celebrating a birthday at Glastonbury - ideas?

Guest Flip-Box

Hi folks,

One of the members of our group has their 40th birthday on the weekend at the festival and we have been thinking about doing something special for them, and I was hoping that someone on here who knows the place inside/out could give us some inspiration.

We want to make a bit of an effort and do something a bit different, but we have to do something in the day because of other commitments at night. There will be potentially a dozen people to include.

I’m probably just asking for trouble, because planning anything when you’re there is a bad idea, but any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all

:cool:

Get one of the onsite bakeries to make a cake, organise some kind of flashmob (as annoying as they are they can be cool like the proposal one last year), tweet a band he likes and get a birthday shout out on stage (would only work with a smaller act), decorate his tent with birthday banners etc while he's asleep...

if you start singing happy birthday others are sure to join in , if you give out his name to people around the vicinity on a piece of paper say at the cider bus then you can get people involved as seen this done before gives me a bit of a buzz as its been my birthday there too , although they weren't singing to me :) There is also a sit down restaurant on site , have forgotten the name sorry

I'd just dress up or something, not as where's wally something a bit more extravogent, I mean you're already in the middle of a party so the isn't much you can do to trump that :P Maybe one of you guys can dress up as a birthday card and get random people to sign it.

Thank you all for the replies. Much appreciated.

I must admit that the one above is what I would probably suggest because I'm lazy, I thought that I'd at least try to get some ideas for something a bit different.

Cheers

Edited by Flip-Box

We've got a 30th in our party too - may involve some sort of outrageous fancy dress, but I am also a little on the lazy side... Not to mention as it has already been said; you're already in one of the greatest parties of the year!

I had my 35th Birthday at Glasto.... I was awoken to a Bloody Mary and told to drink it.... had a happy birthday banner on my tent and balloons and wore a birthday banner..... The rest of the Thursday is a blur as we walked around the site exploring while on a pub crawl as it were....

Celebrating your birthday at Glastonbury is so special in itself, I think this year my friend is bringing a Chocolate Cake..... my birthday is on the Monday before...

It's mine on the Friday this year. Last year my boyfriend baked me a chocolate cake in our tent in his outback oven (lightweight camping oven) and put candles on it, was very tasty and was even more impressive for being baked in a tent! It was just one of those cake mix just add one egg things, tasted lovely freshly baked!

It is the perfect place for a Treasure hunt, list things like

Photo with an act from one of the mid sized stages.

Talk your selves on to a smaller stage! (as in talk the artist that is on into inviting the birthday boy up and get everybody in the place to sing Happy birthday, you can probably get away with that at a stage like the Avalon stage or Bimble inn, being on stage at Glastonbury for your 40th, now that is a boast you can drink on!)

Photo of getting a kiss from (put something strange here, why not try several things here!)

Meat eaters? challenge to eat 3 meats you won't find in a mainstream stores (goat, wilderbeast, kangaroo, corc are all served).

Meal at the Here Krishna tent/photo with the monks!

Cuppa at the tiny tea tent.

Photo by the Glastonbury sign!

Everyone in the group to buy one silly thing for the birthday boy that is not a hat (set a limit of a fiver per item, it is tricky!)

There are postcard shops that do postage as well, send a postcard to his mother/family/friend/work saying that he won't be back as he has run away and joined the circus! (Done that myself to a former employer!)

There are hair dressers and manicurists on site, maybe get him a make over (with the obligatory photo evidence!)

That sort of thing! Go daft.

Use it as an excuse to explore areas you might otherwise miss out on.

Get one of the onsite bakeries to make a cake, organise some kind of flashmob (as annoying as they are they can be cool like the proposal one last year), tweet a band he likes and get a birthday shout out on stage (would only work with a smaller act), decorate his tent with birthday banners etc while he's asleep...

It's mine on the Friday this year. Last year my boyfriend baked me a chocolate cake in our tent in his outback oven (lightweight camping oven) and put candles on it, was very tasty and was even more impressive for being baked in a tent! It was just one of those cake mix just add one egg things, tasted lovely freshly baked!

Its my friends birthday on the Tuesday before Glasto, hes also a newbie, so Ive told him the Thursday we'll be taking him on a bar crawl of sorts. Most of the bars on site, especially the tented ones have their own distinct personalities, plus we'll take him to Glastolatino to get him the amazing majitos they make there. Then theres the organic wine bar in Avalon and the real ale tent.

We're also going to show him some of the sites of Glasto and try and find the more unusual and hidden gems like the stone dragon, railway track tunnel ect.