• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• FloorFiller

• Matt42

• Rose-Colored Boy

kasabian play more festivals and concerts to be more well known from

year to year. if the stone roses would do a tour through germany,

they would onla play in locations beetween 1000 - 2000 people.

Whats that got to do with the price of fish? Depeche Mode sell out football stadiums in Germany and sell millions of records, should they headline above the Roses at Glastonbury?

The Roses in the last few years have probably sold more tickets than any other British band for gigs in the UK. Sold out Heaton Park, Finsbury Park, Glasgow and headlined multiple festivals, yet they are not popular enough to headline Glastonbury as they are not big in Germany?

The problem with the second coming that made it hard to love is when it's bad, it's really f*cking bad. See for example the first 5 minutes of breaking into heaven.

I do like your Star will Shine though, would probably have that in my top 5 Roses tunes even.

Yeah, not to mention the closing track.

I stuck it on for the first time in years a few weeks back. There are some good moments, but few good songs. It seems to be better loved these days than it was when it came out.

Yeah, not to mention the closing track.

I stuck it on for the first time in years a few weeks back. There are some good moments, but few good songs. It seems to be better loved these days than it was when it came out.

Didn't even want to mention The foz mate, I'd made an effort to try and completely forget that one!

Whats that got to do with the price of fish? Depeche Mode sell out football stadiums in Germany and sell millions of records, should they headline above the Roses at Glastonbury?

The Roses in the last few years have probably sold more tickets than any other British band for gigs in the UK. Sold out Heaton Park, Finsbury Park, Glasgow and headlined multiple festivals, yet they are not popular enough to headline Glastonbury as they are not big in Germany?

Ironically, for you and me, easy, we wish the answer to this question was yes!

DM are one of the very few bands that would get me to watch a headliner at the Pyramid Stage this year!

Ben

kasabian play more festivals and concerts to be more well known from

year to year. if the stone roses would do a tour through germany,

they would onla play in locations beetween 1000 - 2000 people.

Is David hasselhof still selling out stadiums in Germany?

It's hardly surprising credible bands don't sell many tickets over there is it.

The problem with the second coming that made it hard to love is when it's bad, it's really f*cking bad. See for example the first 5 minutes of breaking into heaven.

I do like your Star will Shine though, would probably have that in my top 5 Roses tunes even.

philistine!

i always liked the beginning of that record, that first five minutes just makes that opening drum break even sweeter.

The love of them is due to an absolutely fantastic debut album that has stood the test of time. (oh and fools Gold)

I get that people adore that album but it's not universally loved, certainly not in the way the first two Oasis albums are. I'm 30 and my group of friends are very music orientated, but none of us have any time for them at all. I can only think of one person who is particularly into them. I dunno, maybe if i'd been into it at the time but listening to them now leaves me cold.

Each to their own though. I have no problem with them playing if they can pull a decent crowd. Just not convinced they can. There'll be many other things for me to do. 2 Pyramid headliners that tick my boxes is enough for one year

Edited by pea tear griffin

philistine!

i always liked the beginning of that record, that first five minutes just makes that opening drum break even sweeter.

Nah, 5 minute intros just stink of a band/producer trying to pad out an album that doesn't have enough material. See the entire recorded works of Tears for fears for further examples.

Ironically, for you and me, easy, we wish the answer to this question was yes!

DM are one of the very few bands that would get me to watch a headliner at the Pyramid Stage this year!

Ben

Its a strange one this as you are correct, from a selfish and personal viewpoint I would rather DM. But I have seen the Roses and DM numerous times. Nothing comes close to how good the Roses were on the Saturday at Heaton Park. I think DM would be great at Glasto but if the Roses could replicate that Heaton Park gig, there would be nothing that could touch them. There seems to be a lot of us on here who went to Heaton Park so you know exactly what I am on about. Have never seen grown Mancunian men get emotional at a concert before.

I think people are too quick to dismiss the Second Coming on the back of the reviews it received. People pan it now without taking into the consideration the context at the time and why it seemed to get such bad reviews.

The media was very quick to stick a knife into all things Madchester after the way the scene supposedly imploded. The Mondays had blew up in a haze of bad drugs, homophobic comments and poor decisions, Factory went bump, the Hacienda was clogged down in extreme violence and gangland behaviour. The media at the time loved sticking the knife in. The Roses did not help themselves. Fights with record label, 5 years to release the Second Coming and internal arguments within the band. Plus the media has their new Mancunian darlings in Oasis, who managed to steal the thunder of their idols by producing a classic equally as good as the Roses debut.

The Roses were on a hiding to nothing. If they had produced an album full of Ten Story Love Songs, they would have been panned for not progressing. Instead they produced a Led Zep influenced rocker. The problem was that Oasis had produced something better and were better copy.

The Second Coming has a whole host of fantastic tunes. No it is nowhere near as good as the debut, but then again not many albums are. But it is far better than most of the derogatory reviews it received.

It is funny how things happen in cycles. Yes Please by the Mondays was derided and that is not a bad album. A few years later the media were right behind the rise of Black Grape. Same with the Roses. the shit they got after Squire quit and they played Reading was very harsh. Yet a few years later the media were giving great reviews to Ian Browns debut solo album and The Seahorses album. Yet neither of these albums are anywhere near as good as The Second Coming.

Importantly, the musical landscape had already dramatically changed with the advent of grunge and Britpop as a reaction to that.

I get that people adore that album but it's not universally loved, certainly not in the way the first two Oasis albums are. I'm 30 and my group of friends are very music orientated, but none of us have any time for them at all. I can only think of one person who is particularly into them. I dunno, maybe if i'd been into it at the time but listening to them now leaves me cold.

Each to their own though. I have no problem with them playing if they can pull a decent crowd. Just not convinced they can. There'll be many other things for me to do. 2 Pyramid headliners that tick my boxes is enough for one year

I love Oasis as well so appreciate what you are saying. I have friends around your age and they don't get the Roses which I find a bit strange as they would have been constantly exposed to them while growing up round here.

'not universally loved' - fair enough

'the way the first two oasis albums are' - they aren't.

Importantly, the musical landscape had already dramatically changed with the advent of grunge and Britpop as a reaction to that.

Grunge never really gained much of a foothold in Manchester. It was more of a student thing. Manchester seemed to carry on progressing down the electronic and dance avenues.

Heavier rock type music has always been on the fringes here.

I agree though, the landscape had changed and the Roses did not keep up. They did exactly the same as Primal Scream really. Both bands created seminal pieces and then for some reason went all Led Zep on us.

There seems to be a lot of us on here who went to Heaton Park so you know exactly what I am on about. Have never seen grown Mancunian men get emotional at a concert before.

I was there on the Friday and can confirm it was incredible. The best atmosphere I've experienced at a gig. The band were tight as anything. Reni was in a full groove.

That atmosphere wouldn't be replicated on the pyramid though. Brown's vocals didn't matter at Heaton Park. I think they would at Glastonbury

There seems to be a lot of us on here who went to Heaton Park so you know exactly what I am on about. Have never seen grown Mancunian men get emotional at a concert before.

I was there on the Friday and can confirm it was incredible. The best atmosphere I've experienced at a gig. The band were tight as anything. Reni was in a full groove.

That atmosphere wouldn't be replicated on the pyramid though. Brown's vocals didn't matter at Heaton Park. I think they would at Glastonbury