• Replies 37.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• FloorFiller

• Matt42

• Rose-Colored Boy

Bloc Party were fantastic in their day, I have very fond memories of seeing them touring A Weekend In The City at the GMEX, supported by Foals and The Cribs (no coincidence that they remained my three favourite bands for ages afterwards). I was 15 years old, going absolutely mental in a crowd of other people doing the same, I was mesmerized by the energy, I don't think I've ever been that wowed by a gig, I felt like I'd just seen the greatest spectacle a human being could witness. Six years later I saw them headline Latitude festival, I'd been thinking ever since that GMEX gig that they were the next band to become festival headliners, and would cross my fingers every year for them to headline Leeds, but they only ever got to sub, I'd seen them a few times since and had enjoyed it but not loved it. I turned up at the main stage, with me and my friends being worryingly taller and older than everybody else there, the band came on and everything just felt completely off, they seemed to want to be there even less than the crowd of unruly children who only seemed to want to hear One More Chance, even Sarah Jones on the drums couldn't save it. I think my teenage years died then and there (even though I was 21), I just need Bloc Party to break up and never come back now.

The one and only time I saw Bloc Party was one of my first ever gigs. Pretty much everyone in year 11 was there, it was the one of the last dates on the Intimacy tour, I think. Would have been 15. Hell of a lot of fun, but I have no regrets in not seeing them at Latitude 2 summers back. Still have Russell Lissack's plectrum about here somewhere.

Edited by Tuna

The one and only time I saw Bloc Party was one of my first ever gigs. Pretty much everyone in year 11 was there, it was the one of the last dates on the Intimacy tour, I think. Would have been 15. Hell of a lot of fun, but I have no regrets in not seeing them at Latitude 2 summers back. Still have Russell Lissack's plectrum about here somewhere.

Ah I got Kele's pick at the Leeds gig, but it's the same as all my picks and I think I got it mixed up in them all :(

Edit: Actually it might be in my drawer of gigstuffs including a Tribes drumstick, a Cribs drumstick and a Joy Formidable guitar string. Valuable stuff.

Edited by Will-2609

Did you got to see Texas? I remember seeing a group of fourtysomething men, all wearing that same shirt that Texas fans wear, absolutely buzzing at the bar afterwards, they'd had a brilliant time, the smug dicks. Still pissed off at Modest Mouse for pulling out, I saw some brilliant shows that day, including Willy Mason, Chvrches and Cat Power (I did get too drunk and miss yo La Tengo, schoolboy error), Modest Mouse tearing Suffolk a new arsehole would have been the icing on the cake.

Our school bullshitter used to reckon Russell Lissack was his cousin or something, was always banging on about these demos he got before everybody else, what a w*nker.

Did you got to see Texas? I remember seeing a group of fourtysomething men, all wearing that same shirt that Texas fans wear, absolutely buzzing at the bar afterwards, they'd had a brilliant time, the smug dicks. Still pissed off at Modest Mouse for pulling out, I saw some brilliant shows that day, including Willy Mason, Chvrches and Cat Power (I did get too drunk and miss yo La Tengo, schoolboy error), Modest Mouse tearing Suffolk a new arsehole would have been the icing on the cake.

Our school bullshitter used to reckon Russell Lissack was his cousin or something, was always banging on about these demos he got before everybody else, what a w*nker.

Clashfinder tells me it was Japandroids. Really good show actually, got Sunrise all sweaty. Yeah, gutted about Modest Mouse too. Explosions in the Sky the year before that as well, Latitude have a bit of a record of losing big acts, eh? Texas fans are always brilliant value! I'm a huge Yo La Tengo bumboy (my avatar is one of their 7" sleeves, got bored of John West) so I dragged everyone to that, really enjoyed it. Also saw John Grant and DIIV that day, according to Clashfinder, but otherwise think that's all I saw, outside of comedy/poetry etc.

Still undecided on this year. Will have to only be the Saturday due to work but Portishead are the main draw for me anyway. The rest of the day isn't that great yet - will do some homework after exams and Glastonbury.

Edited by Tuna

Ah I got Kele's pick at the Leeds gig, but it's the same as all my picks and I think I got it mixed up in them all :(

Edit: Actually it might be in my drawer of gigstuffs including a Tribes drumstick, a Cribs drumstick and a Joy Formidable guitar string. Valuable stuff.

Now a Tribes drumstick is the one to have! Baby is a hell of an album, gutted when they split up

Still undecided on this year. Will have to only be the Saturday due to work but Portishead are the main draw for me anyway. The rest of the day isn't that great yet - will do some homework after exams and Glastonbury.

Do it, Saturday is not only Portishead, but also other heavy hitters like The Thurston Moore Band (includes Debbie Googe and Steve Shelly!), Nadine Shah and The Twilight Sad. That'd be a pretty incredible day alone, but factor in Lianna LaHavas, Benjamin Booker, Kiasmos, Grandbrothers, James Blake and Marika Hackman, there's no excuse for not going! I wasn't overjoyed about the line-up when it was first released, but since delving into a lot of the acts I'd not listened to, I think it easily lives up to the past few years.

Talking of drumsticks, I stole Sebastien from DFA79's drumstick when he told me, to my face, that I couldn't have it. I also got the drummer from Chikinki's drumstick after my friends and I had spent their whole set chanting one of the other band members names. When he pointed that out, we told him it was because his name wasn't memorable.

I have since grown out of my obnoxious teenage phase.

Talking of drumsticks, I stole Sebastien from DFA79's drumstick when he told me, to my face, that I couldn't have it. I also got the drummer from Chikinki's drumstick after my friends and I had spent their whole set chanting one of the other band members names. When he pointed that out, we told him it was because his name wasn't memorable.

I have since grown out of my obnoxious teenage phase.

I got Reni from The Stone Roses's bucket hat after the Glasgow Green show. Someone during it had already tried to pickpocket me during the gig so I was worried of losing it, but I got out of there with it.

It smelt immense, the conditioner he uses is amazing.

I got Reni from The Stone Roses's bucket hat after the Glasgow Green show. Someone during it had already tried to pickpocket me during the gig so I was worried of losing it, but I got out of there with it.

It smelt immense, the conditioner he uses is amazing.

I think if I had got a hat, with all that personal grease, off of someone I had admired when I was 15/16 I probably would have to have been admitted to hospital.

I think if I had got a hat, with all that personal grease, off of someone I had admired when I was 15/16 I probably would have to have been admitted to hospital.

He attempted to throw it into the crowd, and it fell short. The steward then picked it up and threw it in and I was the first to grab it. No one saw me grab it, as everyone was on their hands and knees looking for it as I left. Not even my brother saw me catch it, as I had to drag him away from there and not explain why til we got out.

You needed special wristbands to be in the front section I think as well, but we somehow got in without being caught. It was dead in that front circle until the roses came on. We were quite worried, as we saw a couple of lads get turfed out of there because they didn't have wristbands on.

Do it, Saturday is not only Portishead, but also other heavy hitters like The Thurston Moore Band (includes Debbie Googe and Steve Shelly!), Nadine Shah and The Twilight Sad. That'd be a pretty incredible day alone, but factor in Lianna LaHavas, Benjamin Booker, Kiasmos, Grandbrothers, James Blake and Marika Hackman, there's no excuse for not going! I wasn't overjoyed about the line-up when it was first released, but since delving into a lot of the acts I'd not listened to, I think it easily lives up to the past few years.

Aye as I say, Marika and Sun Kil Moon are the only acts I've really heard. Been meaning to get into The Twilight Sad for some time too, now I have an excuse. Cheers for the tips!

He attempted to throw it into the crowd, and it fell short. The steward then picked it up and threw it in and I was the first to grab it. No one saw me grab it, as everyone was on their hands and knees looking for it as I left. Not even my brother saw me catch it, as I had to drag him away from there and not explain why til we got out.

You needed special wristbands to be in the front section I think as well, but we somehow got in without being caught. It was dead in that front circle until the roses came on. We were quite worried, as we saw a couple of lads get turfed out of there because they didn't have wristbands on.

When I stole my DFA79 drumstick I had got in with a fake ID. The guy on the door knew it was fake, but he summoned over someone else who insisted I was let in despite looking about 14 and clearly having drunk half a bottle of vodka.

I changed my avatar from Pete Doherty before then too. If there's one person on this board that you should truly despise, it's me.

I'll let you off this one time :) you're on very thin ice though WessexBoy ;)

Edited by Callum_96