Acid_Haze

On a a personal level, I've still to hear him play Incident live, I need to satisfy that goal!!

I went on holiday to Rome in '13 in part to see his show there. We got a run of Kitty's Back, Incident > Roaslita, NYC Serenade. The best 45 minutes of live music I've ever witnessed.

In 12 shows, still never had Backstreets, and it's one of my absolute favourites.

• Replies 37.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• FloorFiller

• Matt42

• Rose-Colored Boy

100%

I actually don't know anyone personally under the age of 25 that is either a fan of Prince or knows more than 4-5 songs. Of course they out there, but they're a dwindling minority. Only Madonna is on course to rivalling Princes lack of modern day relevance IMO.

Still. I've heard his shows are entertaining...

At the same time, I know people around my age (late teens/early 20s) who believed that the Ramones were 'just a brand' because they were on one of their t-shirts. I know people who wouldn't know anything by Led Zep. Heck, my flatmates have no idea who the Smiths are/were. So where do you draw the line?

Could none of those headline because the under 25s aren't huge fans? Okay, obviously not the Ramones but you get what I mean ;)

'I Wanna Be Adored'

'Elephant Stone'

'Ten Storey Love Song'

'Standing Here'

'Going Down'

'Shoot You Down'

'Fools Gold'

'Something's Burning'

'Waterfall'

'Don't Stop'

'She Bangs the Drums'

'Love Spreads'

'This Is the One'

'Made Of Stone'

'Breaking Into Heaven'

'I Am The Resurrection'

Prince couldnt top that.

Given that you earlier admitted that you don't actually know most Prince songs, how would you know? :lol: I like both the Roses and Prince and they'd both have the hits, both have some songs which wouldn't go down so well.

For example, I've bolded 10 songs in that Roses setlist which wouldn't be sing-a-longs. 50% at least wouldn't know any of them.

Edited by GlastoSimon

Sorry to hear your news and hope you have support around you.

Hope you get to see Taylor Swift also.

Didn't you say before that you got injured during last years Glastonbury? Anyway sounds like you deserve a really good Glastonbury this year

Cheers. Lots of support from the family.I had a really nasty accident last year on Friday night and broke my upper arm. I spent most of Saturday in a sling with Brufen to numb the pain and ended up going to bed as Metallica started as I was frightened of crowds. The wife had to come and rescue me Sunday morning to drive the camper home. Frigging nightmare. Took me six months to get over it but that's another story.

'I Wanna Be Adored'

'Elephant Stone'

'Ten Storey Love Song'

'Standing Here'

'Going Down'

'Shoot You Down'

'Fools Gold'

'Something's Burning'

'Waterfall'

'Don't Stop'

'She Bangs the Drums'

'Love Spreads'

'This Is the One'

'Made Of Stone'

'Breaking Into Heaven'

'I Am The Resurrection'

Prince couldnt top that.

He certainly could. Maybe not for a certain number of people who grew up on those songs, but for a casual Pyramid goer & the BBC audience Prince would wipe the floor with it.

At the same time, I know people around my age (late teens/early 20s) who believed that the Ramones were 'just a brand' because they were on one of their t-shirts. I know people who wouldn't know anything by Led Zep. Heck, my flatmates have no idea who the Smiths are/were. So where do you draw the line?

Could none of those headline because the under 25s aren't huge fans? Okay, obviously not the Ramones but you get what I mean ;)

Given that you earlier admitted that you don't actually know most Prince songs, how would you know? :lol: I like both the Roses and Prince and they'd both have the hits, both have some songs which wouldn't go down so well.

For example, I've bolded 10 songs in that Roses setlist which wouldn't be sing-a-longs. 50% at least wouldn't know any of them.

I dont understand. Are you sayin I wanna be adored isnt a sing along? or This is the one isnt?

are the highlighted ones not sing a longs?

Unless you're massively into The Stone Roses and Prince or you've not really listened to either it's pretty hard to gauge

That would be me. I was around when both were at their peaks so feel fairly qualified to answer.

Going off the songs listed, I know way more Prince songs than Stone Roses ones.

I dont understand. Are you sayin I wanna be adored isnt a sing along? or This is the one isnt?

are the highlighted ones not sing a longs?

Sorry, I screwed up with the bolding a bit there :lol:

'I Wanna Be Adored'

'Elephant Stone'

'Ten Storey Love Song'

'Standing Here'

'Going Down'

'Shoot You Down'

'Fools Gold'

'Something's Burning'

'Waterfall'

'Don't Stop'

'She Bangs the Drums'

'Love Spreads'

'This Is the One'

'Made Of Stone'

'Breaking Into Heaven'

'I Am The Resurrection'

That should make more sense!

'I Wanna Be Adored'

'Elephant Stone'

'Ten Storey Love Song'

'Standing Here'

'Going Down'

'Shoot You Down'

'Fools Gold'

'Something's Burning'

'Waterfall'

'Don't Stop'

'She Bangs the Drums'

'Love Spreads'

'This Is the One'

'Made Of Stone'

'Breaking Into Heaven'

'I Am The Resurrection'

Prince couldnt top that.

he could top it by him singing and not ian brown

see i thought this too but was shot down when suggesting it not long ago. i'd say Prince has far more recognisable songs than the Roses do - his mammoth back catalogue vs their two albums alone ensures that

Have to agree. Prince has more songs that once they start playing people will know (they might not know the names of the song but the tune is recognisable). Whereas with the roses, if they know the song it's more likely they will know it's title. Edited by mjsell

Sorry, I screwed up with the bolding a bit there :lol:

'I Wanna Be Adored'

'Elephant Stone''

Ten Storey Love Song'

'Standing Here'

'Going Down'

'Shoot You Down'

'Fools Gold'

'Something's Burning'

'Waterfall'

'Don't Stop'

'She Bangs the Drums'

'Love Spreads'

'This Is the One'

'Made Of Stone'

'Breaking Into Heaven'

'I Am The Resurrection'

That should make more sense!

I Disagree im afraid, i think that is more accurate ^ Oviously if your a fan like me, you'd know em all. but anything of the debut album bar Dont Stop would be a sing a long!

I Wanna Be Your Lover

Controversy

When Doves Cry

I Would Die 4 U

Little Red Corvette

Raspberry Beret

Alphabet St

Sign o' The times

U got the Look

The Most Beautiful Girl in the World

Let's go crazy

Nothing Compares 2 U

and let's face it shall we? With true honesty? That's a list of shit songs.

And they're bad enough as the originals, so quite why anyone would want to hear bad metal versions of them I've no idea.

You're more than welcome to him. It says more about your ears than mine. :)

Saw Prince at Hop Farm with a friend who claimed to not know a single Prince song other than Nothing Compares 2 U (and even then, only because of the Sinead O'Connor version).

He spent most of the set turning to me and going "Oh, I do know this one!"

Is that a good thing? Basically saying its an artist he's heard loads but didnt like the song enough to actually check out who it was haha

Prince couldnt top that.

Nonsense. If you are a fan of music you cannot simply dismiss one for the other - they are both great choices. But if you want a Sunday headliner that appeals to the majority then P.... wins hands down.

That would be me. I was around when both were at their peaks so feel fairly qualified to answer.

Going off the songs listed, I know way more Prince songs than Stone Roses ones.

This is true. Me too.

says a lot about what you know about heavy metal...

and guitarists

says the man who said it was impossible for Spri8nsteen to be duller than dishwater, even after he'd put in a duller-than-dishwater performance.

Remember tony, those posts of your still exist here, and I'll pull them out and prove you a bullshitter if you deny you said pretty much that. :)

Regarding sing-along-ability, it's not just knowing the songs, but having the lyrics burnt into your subconscious. I don't like either act and probably couldn't even sing a Stone Roses line, but I could do the choruses of Kiss and Raspberry Beret.

and let's face it shall we? With true honesty? That's a list of shit songs.

And they're bad enough as the originals, so quite why anyone would want to hear bad metal versions of them I've no idea.

You're more than welcome to him. It says more about your ears than mine. :)

the fact that you think Prince would play metal versions of anything says quite a lot about your ears, in fairness.

He can sing though.

That only matters if you are watching the Sunday night headliner on the Beeb from your couch. In the fields its a whole different kettle of fish

If the Roses were to play the Sunday night Brown wouldn't have to open his mouth the singalong would be that epic............

I went on holiday to Rome in '13 in part to see his show there. We got a run of Kitty's Back, Incident > Roaslita, NYC Serenade. The best 45 minutes of live music I've ever witnessed.

In 12 shows, still never had Backstreets, and it's one of my absolute favourites.

I got goosebumps just reading that. My favourite album of his, I'd give my left bollock to see him perform it live.

* lights cigar *

*shakes fist*

Cant play like John, and i bet his band cant play like Mani and Reni

Prince is a better guitar player than Squire imo, and thats coming from a bigger Roses fan than. Squire tries to hard with the Page stuff.