• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• FloorFiller

• Matt42

• Rose-Colored Boy

It's really NOT nonsense. :rolleyes:

He was massive - but with pure-pop fans. The types who were also buying SAW output. The sad mums, and those who bought two singles a year. That was the only place to get that massive back then.

I don't think this is true - I was a fan back in the day and was derided for it by my fellow teenagers around the time of Lovesexy as he was a weird, perverse embarrassment, certainly not mainstream at all. If you said you liked him you were instantly seen as some sort of sexual deviant as everyone else was into bloody Wet Wet Wet or some such.

What about Breakout?

Breakout? Swing Out Sister to headline, yes! I really fancied the singer at the time. Little saucepot

Edited by sime

It's really NOT nonsense. :rolleyes:

He was massive - but with pure-pop fans. The types who were also buying SAW output. The sad mums, and those who bought two singles a year. That was the only place to get that massive back then.

Exactly. He had lots of fans, the same people who liked Michael Jackson, the same ones who liked all the pop fluff of the day, the ones who liked the Bee Gees, the ones who liked 5 Star and all the other big shoulder pad wearing buffoons. Whitney Houston. etc etc etc Someone explain to me why none of the large UK festivals wanted Prince or any of his peers to play their festivals back when they were actually having hits?

Because Prince was seen to be rubbish and not a credible artist, that's why.

Edited by ericlered

Exactly. He had lots of fans, the same people who liked Michael Jackson, the same ones who liked all the pop fluff of the day, the ones who liked the Bee Gees, the ones who liked 5 Star and all the other big shoulder pad wearing buffoons. Whitney Houston. etc etc etc Someone explain to me why none of the large UK festivals wanted Prince or any of his peers to play their festivals back when they were actually having hits?

Because other than Glastonbury, there weren't really any large UK festivals in existence in the 80s?

20, but I can feel free to believe people who were around at the time right? :lol:

My point being is that I know a few people with an excellent taste in music who'll say they were into Prince at the time. They could be lying, but I choose to believe them.

Stupid question time... I always had it in my head that, that was you in your picture. Is it not? If so, how hard was your paper round to only be 20?!

Sadly it's mostly revisionists around here, who refuse to admit that was the case.

Most of those revisioists were about 5 at the time, and one who's much older can't remember what he said a week ago. But apparently it's wrong to state how it was at the time. :lol:

Absolutely spot on.

Same with Fleetwood Mac and madonna, but you get bollocked now for saying they were shite.

And that synth sound at the start of 1999 makes me want to find an axe.

Help - were do I start to really get what the foos are about?

I've heard the radio played to death stuff but they've not got me yet and I find myself thinking how much I wish I'd seen Nirvana

What 5 Foos tracks define them best please?

I'd go Summat like

Big me

Hero

Hey Johnny park

White limo

Everlong

All that really tells me is that certain acts are dismissed at the time because they are uncool or too popular or whatever.

Prince, Michael Jackson, Fleetwood Mac etc are generally liked by youngish 'serious' music fans now, and some of their albums got exceptionally good reviews.

Maybe some acts take a while to be appreciated.

20, but I can feel free to believe people who were around at the time right? :lol:

well you can, but that's called hearsay and is considered lesser than first hand experience, so for here at least I win. :P

My point being is that I know a few people with an excellent taste in music who'll say they were into Prince at the time. They could be lying, but I choose to believe them.

Oh, i'm sure it wasn't exclusively the sad mums, and the 2-singles-a-year-ers, and the texas fans, but it also certainly wasn't all of the 'credible' music fans either. They, by-and-large, rejected him at the time.

You wouldn't find Prince lauded in NME and the other music weeklies. You would find him lauded in 'fashionable' monthly magazines (much like GQ) that the little-care-for-music smart dressers read . Etc, etc, etc.

You wouldn't find Prince lauded in NME and the other music weeklies. You would find him lauded in 'fashionable' monthly magazines (much like GQ) that the little-care-for-music smart dressers read . Etc, etc, etc.

That could make for some interesting research, which will no doubt distract me from my exam revision.

well you can, but that's called hearsay and is considered lesser than first hand experience, so for here at least I win. :P

Oh, i'm sure it wasn't exclusively the sad mums, and the 2-singles-a-year-ers, and the texas fans, but it also certainly wasn't all of the 'credible' music fans either. They, by-and-large, rejected him at the time.

it fills my heart with joy to see you slate Prince Neil, fair enough if people like prince, but don't talk about him like he's an utter genius... I tried to get into him the other day and had to listen to several hours of The Fall to recover from the cheese.

Thing is my Auntie is a huge fan of Prince and yet has one of the best tastes in music of people that I know, and growing up amongst my parents friends and attending parties in the late and early 90's and Prince was widely loved by these people as well, and again they were all into decent music of the time and remain to be.

I'm not a massive fan of Prince myself, just struggle to correlate the image that Neil provides of him being a pop starlet that was a laughing stock with everything that I can remember from the time.