• Replies 37.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• FloorFiller

• Matt42

• Rose-Colored Boy

I also don't remember any UK festivals in the 90's falling over themselves to book Prince and his 80's pop peers either.

As for music fans in the 80's being tribal if it's a case of being in the NO/Smiths/Depeche Mode/Cure/Roses camp or the MJ/Prince/Whitney Houston/Spandau Ballet camp i know where i'd be. If that makes me an idiot, so be it.

I'm really not trying to turn this into a "Prince is shit" thread, but the worship from some goes beyond the ridiculous for what is just an 80s pop act and it needs a bit to counter it.

...and yet every time he is mentioned you do just that.

Did he run over your bike when you were a kid?

All that really tells me is that certain acts are dismissed at the time because they are uncool or too popular or whatever.

Prince, Michael Jackson, Fleetwood Mac etc are generally liked by youngish 'serious' music fans now, and some of their albums got exceptionally good reviews.

Maybe some acts take a while to be appreciated.

all three of them were huge at the time so it's fair to say they were appreciated. There was just something too old about Fleetwood Mac and too hair sprayed about prince for most people I know to take him seriously.

Everyone loved jacko though

All that really tells me is that certain acts are dismissed at the time because they are uncool or too popular or whatever.

Prince, Michael Jackson, Fleetwood Mac etc are generally liked by youngish 'serious' music fans now, and some of their albums got exceptionally good reviews.

Maybe some acts take a while to be appreciated.

Jackson somehow just about managed to keep his credibility up-to History, but i reckon that might have more to do with stuff outside of music, really.

Fleetwood Mac dropped a bollock with Tusk, as far as most of their fans at time would have said.

(Me, I've got a soft spot for Tusk, but that probably says something about my young age at the time)

But Prince wasn't really ever in that arena for most folks, to be able to lose credibility. He was pop.

Fields of Avalon Twitter after I gently nudged them for a line up date...

"@GnomdePlume Our lips are well and truly sealed, Sorry!! (and we do not know either)"

They are either running Glastonbury security with FSB agents or haven't got a headliner yet...

Fields of Avalon Twitter after I gently nudged them for a line up date...

"@GnomdePlume Our lips are well and truly sealed, Sorry!! (and we do not know either)"

If they don't know and Shangri-La has been gagged from even talking about their theme...

This is getting very intriguing.

Oh, i'm sure it wasn't exclusively the sad mums, and the 2-singles-a-year-ers, and the texas fans, but it also certainly wasn't all of the 'credible' music fans either. They, by-and-large, rejected him at the time.

You wouldn't find Prince lauded in NME and the other music weeklies. You would find him lauded in 'fashionable' monthly magazines (much like GQ) that the little-care-for-music smart dressers read . Etc, etc, etc.

Oh dear, you couldn't be more wrong if you tried. The fact that Prince became mainstream successful was a good laugh, but he was certainly recognised as just about the most 'credible' black artist around in the 80's. He was listened to by Parliament fans, rap and hip hop heads, Northern soul afficianados - just about anyone who knew the score 'got' Prince. And for that matter still do.

I don't think this is true - I was a fan back in the day and was derided for it by my fellow teenagers around the time of Lovesexy as he was a weird, perverse embarrassment, certainly not mainstream at all. If you said you liked him you were instantly seen as some sort of sexual deviant as everyone else was into bloody Wet Wet Wet or some such.

before Lovesexy was his biggest time when the pop fans lapped him up, and Lovesexy was the start of his decent into international joke act.

Whether or njot that joke-act status was deserved or not isn't really relevant for what I'm saying. Just that's what it was.

Jackson somehow just about managed to keep his credibility up-to History, but i reckon that might have more to do with stuff outside of music, really.

Fleetwood Mac dropped a bollock with Tusk, as far as most of their fans at time would have said.

(Me, I've got a soft spot for Tusk, but that probably says something about my young age at the time)

But Prince wasn't really ever in that arena for most folks, to be able to lose credibility. He was pop.

Wrong. Embarrassingly wrong. People take you seriously as well don't they? Good grief. Go and find a MOBO artist of any major or minor significance over the past 30 years and ask them if Prince was 'credible'. You know the answer already don't you?

Thing is my Auntie is a huge fan of Prince and yet has one of the best tastes in music of people that I know, and growing up amongst my parents friends and attending parties in the late and early 90's and Prince was widely loved by these people as well, and again they were all into decent music of the time and remain to be.

I'm not a massive fan of Prince myself, just struggle to correlate the image that Neil provides of him being a pop starlet that was a laughing stock with everything that I can remember from the time.

c'mon .... everyone was in hysterics at the squiggle.

In the opposite way to the 60s, if you don't remember you weren't there. :P