Acid_Haze

Wrong. Embarrassingly wrong. People take you seriously as well don't they? Good grief. Go and find a MOBO artist of any major or minor significance over the past 30 years and ask them if Prince was 'credible'. You know the answer already don't you?

So cool and influential he was covered by Tom Jones.

• Replies 37.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• FloorFiller

• Matt42

• Rose-Colored Boy

Fields of Avalon Twitter after I gently nudged them for a line up date...

"@GnomdePlume Our lips are well and truly sealed, Sorry!! (and we do not know either)"

Sounds like Glasto / the Eavo's haven't decided when they are releasing it yet then.

Shangri La looked as if they wanted to put some details out there but the powers that be have reeled them in

Wonder if they are seeing if the Kanye backlash is affecting the balance payments

I have no idea about the squiggle phase, I know that the tracks I remember hearing were prior to the squiggle, I do recall that happening though and it was widely and rightly derided as utter bollocks - I was about 7 though and I think all I remember listening to was The Beatles and Kirsty McColl (they got a lot of play in my house in the early '90s)

before Lovesexy was his biggest time when the pop fans lapped him up, and Lovesexy was the start of his decent into international joke act.

Whether or njot that joke-act status was deserved or not isn't really relevant for what I'm saying. Just that's what it was.

Even as a Prince fan I wouldn't disagree with this. Lovesexy itself isn't *bad*, but it was probably the end of his run of consistently great albums in the 80's

Edited by SonOfTroyMcClure

It doesnt really ma

So cool and influential he was covered by Tom Jones.

and Beyonce, Herbie Hancock, Sinead O'Connor, Chaka Khan, Foo Fighters, Jesus Mary Chain, Surjan Stevens., Incubus, Etta James, D' Angelo, Gary Numan, Buddy Miles, Patti Smith etc

Oh dear, you couldn't be more wrong if you tried. The fact that Prince became mainstream successful was a good laugh, but he was certainly recognised as just about the most 'credible' black artist around in the 80's. He was listened to by Parliament fans, rap and hip hop heads, Northern soul afficianados - just about anyone who knew the score 'got' Prince. And for that matter still do.

Oh, i'm well aware of that - but you can't have failed to notice, surely, that no one else here is referencing any of that, instead talking only of his mainstream pop days and beyond.

The numbers into those sorts of 'black' acts back then were tiny, and niche. And just about all of those gave up on Prince when he went crap-pop.

You wouldn't find Prince lauded in NME and the other music weeklies. You would find him lauded in 'fashionable' monthly magazines (much like GQ) that the little-care-for-music smart dressers read . Etc, etc, etc.

Sorry, but that is utter shite. As someone who wrote for the NME in the 80s, I can assure you that he had godlike status.

Of course that changed in the slave and squiggle era...

Edited by robu

Oh, i'm well aware of that - but you can't have failed to notice, surely, that no one else here is referencing any of that, instead talking only of his mainstream pop days and beyond.

The numbers into those sorts of 'black' acts back then were tiny, and niche. And just about all of those gave up on Prince when he went crap-pop.

sign o' the times is by far his most accomplished album. Is that 'pop'? Just sounds good to me. Ahead of his time, and clearly ahead of many on here....

Wrong. Embarrassingly wrong. People take you seriously as well don't they? Good grief. Go and find a MOBO artist of any major or minor significance over the past 30 years and ask them if Prince was 'credible'. You know the answer already don't you?

Hmmm. Would I be getting the 'what they think of the music' answer, or the alternatively created answer that's mostly around MJ? :P

I know there's more to all of this than I'm saying, just as there's more to it than I'm responding against. It's what others are saying which is the lead for my responses.

They're talking mainstream. You're not.