NFR NFC >>>>>>2015

guypjfreak

My husband is a DBA and all-round IT guru and he has an online bank account. I would suspect there are so many "IT experts" in the world that I doubt none of them would have one!

As I said, this was a few years ago. In addition I got the impression this bloke was a real heavy hitter on the IT security front, rather than just knowledgeable about IT in general.

• Replies 24.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeffie

• lucyginger

• thurlow84

• A Guy Called Matt

An eventful afternoon for me today crossing into Paraguay from Argentina. Or, to put it another way, from sensible south america into mad south america. My name is fatyeti24, and this is my story.

All was well until I got to the border. I was on a bus that would take me through to Asunción, but you have to get off at customs to get your passport stamped out of one country and into the next. No problem, I've done this thing several times this year. As we were driving passed the Argentinian side, someone going the other way to us was having a very bad day. There was a drug bust. A big one. Like you see on the news, dozens of packets of (presumably) weed laid out in rows on the floor. I managed a couple of sneaky pics.

IMG_20141025_143254218_HDR_zpsv7scc1tf.j

Here are The Law doing their business. The stuff wasnt even hidden, just in boxes. There was loads of it.

IMG_20141025_143403475_zps8kuwv0j3.jpg

We drove on and got to customs, i got off the bus, got stamped out of Argentina no problems. Got stamped into Paraguay no problems. But then! The guy got up from behind his desk, came out to me, told me to follow him and led me to the police office next door.

The police asked me what the problem was, i said I didn't know, so they told me to go around the back, or of sight. They asked me if I spoke Spanish, I don't. They took my passport, studied it, and decided I didn't have the right visa. Which was strange, because I'm British, godammit, and we don't need visas anywhere in south america. Then came the obvious punchline: 100USD and they would stamp my passport and I could be on my way.

I was being stung for a bribe by the fucking border cops, the cheeky fuckers. I refused and we began a bit of a stand off, them holding my passport, me with a bus waiting. After a few minutes of back and forth, and me pretending I spoke even less Spanish than I actually do, a third, seemingly more senior cop arrived. As he did he handed one of the others some money. I assume that was a bribe her just taken from some other person. He checked my passport, studied all the stamps in and out of various south american countries asked me how long I was staying in Asunción, handed me back my passport with a "thankyou" and I was on my way. No visa required, no money changed hands.

The moral of this story? Of you want to get a bribe, try BEFORE you put the stamp in the passport.

Welcome to Paraguay, as Green Day almost sang.

Holy hell, it really is a different world, isn't it? Glad you're ok, yeti. I guess a lot of inexperienced travellers would just hand over the money to avoid confrontation and that's why it carries on, but it can't have been a comfortable feeling for you. Hope you enjoy Paraguay!

An eventful afternoon for me today crossing into Paraguay from Argentina. Or, to put it another way, from sensible south america into mad south america. My name is fatyeti24, and this is my story.

All was well until I got to the border. I was on a bus that would take me through to Asunción, but you have to get off at customs to get your passport stamped out of one country and into the next. No problem, I've done this thing several times this year. As we were driving passed the Argentinian side, someone going the other way to us was having a very bad day. There was a drug bust. A big one. Like you see on the news, dozens of packets of (presumably) weed laid out in rows on the floor. I managed a couple of sneaky pics.

IMG_20141025_143254218_HDR_zpsv7scc1tf.j

Here are The Law doing their business. The stuff wasnt even hidden, just in boxes. There was loads of it.

IMG_20141025_143403475_zps8kuwv0j3.jpg

We drove on and got to customs, i got off the bus, got stamped out of Argentina no problems. Got stamped into Paraguay no problems. But then! The guy got up from behind his desk, came out to me, told me to follow him and led me to the police office next door.

The police asked me what the problem was, i said I didn't know, so they told me to go around the back, or of sight. They asked me if I spoke Spanish, I don't. They took my passport, studied it, and decided I didn't have the right visa. Which was strange, because I'm British, godammit, and we don't need visas anywhere in south america. Then came the obvious punchline: 100USD and they would stamp my passport and I could be on my way.

I was being stung for a bribe by the fucking border cops, the cheeky fuckers. I refused and we began a bit of a stand off, them holding my passport, me with a bus waiting. After a few minutes of back and forth, and me pretending I spoke even less Spanish than I actually do, a third, seemingly more senior cop arrived. As he did he handed one of the others some money. I assume that was a bribe her just taken from some other person. He checked my passport, studied all the stamps in and out of various south american countries asked me how long I was staying in Asunción, handed me back my passport with a "thankyou" and I was on my way. No visa required, no money changed hands.

The moral of this story? Of you want to get a bribe, try BEFORE you put the stamp in the passport.

Welcome to Paraguay, as Green Day almost sang.

Fair play to you and your big hairy bollocks for refusing to pay a bribe. Seeing a drugs bust can be really exciting - especially if you are on the receiving end!

Holy hell, it really is a different world, isn't it? Glad you're ok, yeti. I guess a lot of inexperienced travellers would just hand over the money to avoid confrontation and that's why it carries on, but it can't have been a comfortable feeling for you. Hope you enjoy Paraguay!

Yeah, had it happened to me at the start of this year, i may have panicked and handed over some cash, but today I knew I was in the right and my passport was in order so it was just a case ofkeeping calm and polite and letting them know they were getting nothing.

The joys of travel and the joys of low paid officials in South America.

Thankfully we never had anything like what you had fatyeti and not sure how I might have handled it. Maybe as there were two of us they didn't like the witness part!!

Note to self - if returning to South America consider avoiding Paraguay!

Edited by mattyc1965

Had a family day today. Took our little boy to the shops, then found some piles of leaves to kick about. Cosied up on the sofa this afternoon to watch Chicken Run together complete with Butterkist popcorn. Pizza and garlic bread for dinner once he's asleep, nice and simple!

I like lazy Sundays!

First 'seasonal' event of the year.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Waste of time but never mind - got lots of calendar design work done which is always good.

Half term so Ali and I hope to go wildlife watching tomorrow.

Hope all is well with everyone.

NFR NFC

The NFC we now know actually means no fecking customers!

I'm almost done finalising my return to England, though I thought going direct might be a bit harsh, especially considering in probably going to have to stay with my folks when I get back.

So I'm making a long awaited return to Amsterdam for a few days of decompression en route.

I should be back home on November 14th. Clear your diaries!

Evening! I made it safely back home yesterday after seeing a bit of Tintagel. Covered the castle, part of the Rocky Valley,a pottery and St Nectan's Glen. Google the last one, unless I can work out how to add a pic from my phone...

Yeti- bloomin eck!!!!!

Sounds like you had a great time!

I'm almost done finalising my return to England, though I thought going direct might be a bit harsh, especially considering in probably going to have to stay with my folks when I get back.

So I'm making a long awaited return to Amsterdam for a few days of decompression en route.

Fancy going to see Beardyman on the 15th? Should be easy!

A very sensible manoeuvre. I was chatting to a friend last night and he told me a tale of how he knew one of the main dealers in the city. Anyway, this person asked him to pick up a large amount of coke and deliver it to the penthouse suite at one of the top hotels. He turns up, is invited in, and it's full of Hells Angels on the lash. He gives them the coke and they invite him to stay, which he duly does, and proceeds to party accordingly.

I'm going there with my wife there for Kings Day next year. I have hired an absolutely mentally expensive houseboat which will be in the thick of things during the celebrations. On reflection, given the state of my finances, I should probably have booked cheaper accommodation. The problem is that I booked it while pissed and would lose a significant deposit if I cancelled.

Really looking forward to it though.

Where is 'home'?

A very sensible manoeuvre. I was chatting to a friend last night and he told me a tale of how he knew one of the main dealers in the city. Anyway, this person asked him to pick up a large amount of coke and deliver it to the penthouse suite at one of the top hotels. He turns up, is invited in, and it's full of Hells Angels on the lash. He gives them the coke and they invite him to stay, which he duly does, and proceeds to party accordingly.

I'm going there with my wife there for Kings Day next year. I have hired an absolutely mentally expensive houseboat which will be in the thick of things during the celebrations. On reflection, given the state of my finances, I should probably have booked cheaper accommodation. The problem is that I booked it while pissed and would lose a significant deposit if I cancelled.

Really looking forward to it though.

I've done a couple of kings days, or queens days as it was at the time, including my first ever visit. Mental. I took a mate on his first ever visit to the city and it blew his mind.

I've done a couple of kings days, or queens days as it was at the time, including my first ever visit. Mental. I took a mate on his first ever visit to the city and it blew his mind.

Yes, I've done a Queens Day before. It is indeed a mental performance, which is why I wanted my wife to see and enjoy it too. The last time we stayed a group of us hired two houseboats for the celebrations. The people staying on the one houseboat told us that their boat used to be a mine sweeper during the war. Our houseboat was later declared to be a mind sweeper, for the obvious reasons.