NFR NFC >>>>>>2015

guypjfreak

I used to work in Coventry many years ago and commuted there and back from Birmingham daily. I got up one winters morning to find that there had been an extremely heavy snow fall the night before. I heard on the radio that cars were being abandoned on the A45 between Birmingham and Coventry as the snow was so thick on the road. In a moment of madness I decided not to call in saying it was impossible for me to get to work. Instead I jumped in the car and somehow made it over to the Coventry office. Once there, I sat down at my desk, opened my diary to read that I was due in a meeting first thing at our Birmingham office. Doh!

Oh no!!!! What a bugger!

Before I liked snow, I was going to see PIL in Brixton a few years ago. I was driving, and had arranged to pick up a friend in town, then another in Winchester on the way. Well, it took 2 hours to get to Winchester, which is only usually 20 mins away. Snow had made travelling complete chaos! Still we continued on our journey up the M3. We got not as far as Basingstoke, whcih was the next town. We were stuck. There were abandoned cars everywhere, it was chaos. By now it was about midnight. I'd left home at 4pm. We made it to a service station and had a cup of tea then started off back to Southampton. Then my windscreen wipers broke. We made it (very hazardously in what felt like a blizzard) back to the service station and rang my breakdown! They came and fixed the wipers, and we eventually made it back to Southampton at about 5am.

It was terrible.

• Replies 24.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeffie

• lucyginger

• thurlow84

• A Guy Called Matt

Oh no!!!! What a bugger!

Before I liked snow, I was going to see PIL in Brixton a few years ago. I was driving, and had arranged to pick up a friend in town, then another in Winchester on the way. Well, it took 2 hours to get to Winchester, which is only usually 20 mins away. Snow had made travelling complete chaos! Still we continued on our journey up the M3. We got not as far as Basingstoke, whcih was the next town. We were stuck. There were abandoned cars everywhere, it was chaos. By now it was about midnight. I'd left home at 4pm. We made it to a service station and had a cup of tea then started off back to Southampton. Then my windscreen wipers broke. We made it (very hazardously in what felt like a blizzard) back to the service station and rang my breakdown! They came and fixed the wipers, and we eventually made it back to Southampton at about 5am.

It was terrible.

There lies the snowy rub; is great to clomp through in boots and big coat, wooly hat and mittens. Better still admired from indoors next to a real fire with an equally warming drink, but not great when you have actual stuff to do. Which is why we have snow days off work if at all possible.

Oh no!!!! What a bugger!

It was terrible.

I think I'd be in a mental institute had all that happened to me. Just rocking backwards and forwards trying to convince myself that course of events was merely my imagination and not reality.

I think I'd be in a mental institute had all that happened to me. Just rocking backwards and forwards trying to convince myself that course of events was merely my imagination and not reality.

To quote Morrissey:

"we can laugh about it now but at the time it was terrible."

I never take the car out when there is snow on the ground now!

There lies the snowy rub; is great to clomp through in boots and big coat, wooly hat and mittens. Better still admired from indoors next to a real fire with an equally warming drink, but not great when you have actual stuff to do. Which is why we have snow days off work if at all possible.

I don't have snow days. I get wrapped up and walk to work, it's only a couple of miles. I like it. It's quiet and I get to run in virgin snow :)

bloody jools holland............................................

have a nice party who evers having them ................humbug

cant stand snow Lucy girl thank god [ who i dont believe in ] i live so far south

happy Tuesday all......G

Our Glasto Gang plus partners are having our annual Christmas outing this Saturday to see Jools.

On snow, living half way up a mountain in South Wales we had amazing snow in about 1973. The snow outside was to within six inches of the top of our front door and we had to dig ourselves out of the house.

One 1-in-4 lane was blocked to vehicles for three weeks, though we did managed to walk across the top of the snow to the village shop to re-stock with essentials. Above us was a dairy farm and the milk tanker lorry couldn't get up the lane so the farmer was giving us as much milk as we could take for drinking, rice puddings etc.

This year I've got myself a 4-w-d Audi and I'm quite looking forward to a bit of snow to try it out.

Evening all!

Thanks for all the birthday messages, both here and on Facebook. I've had a lovely day out with mrs gumby and our little puffling. We went to Monkey World near Weymouth. I particularly enjoyed the experience of having a gibbon gurn at me! Charlie was rather taken by the tiny marmosets. This was followed, back home, by a cake covered in maltesers and chocolate fingers and smarties hiding in a secret compartment in the middle. Nom! :-)

I've just got one question. Now I'm 40, am I still allowed to like things like maltesers and smarties, and jelly tots and curly wurlys? Or do I have to start pretending to like salted caramel truffles and chilli chocolate and all that pretentious bollocks?

I've just got one question. Now I'm 40, am I still allowed to like things like maltesers and smarties, and jelly tots and curly wurlys? Or do I have to start pretending to like salted caramel truffles and chilli chocolate and all that pretentious bollocks?

I think you can still eat what you like mr gumby. I've got a friend who is 47 and still eats Farleys Rusks.

Our Glasto Gang plus partners are having our annual Christmas outing this Saturday to see Jools.

On snow, living half way up a mountain in South Wales we had amazing snow in about 1973. The snow outside was to within six inches of the top of our front door and we had to dig ourselves out of the house.

One 1-in-4 lane was blocked to vehicles for three weeks, though we did managed to walk across the top of the snow to the village shop to re-stock with essentials. Above us was a dairy farm and the milk tanker lorry couldn't get up the lane so the farmer was giving us as much milk as we could take for drinking, rice puddings etc.

This year I've got myself a 4-w-d Audi and I'm quite looking forward to a bit of snow to try it out.

Now that sounds lovely! A proper adventure!