• Replies 24.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeffie

• lucyginger

• thurlow84

• A Guy Called Matt

So we went to our last gig of the year ( I think!) and I have spent a little time reflecting on the year. We started with Half Man Half Biscuit and ended with the Blockheads. 185 bands, of many different genres. But what I started thinking about was that moment in a gig when they play a drum intro or bass line and you know the song, and it takes you back to your youth, to a good time, to a great memory or because you love the song so much it suddenly makes everything feel good. You forget your aches and pains, your debt or bad times and you feel ....feel pure pleasure I suppose. Isn't music just the best drug!

I shall go back to being ignored now but I hope everyone has had a good year and has had some great memories made or relived for them.

So we went to our last gig of the year ( I think!) and I have spent a little time reflecting on the year. We started with Half Man Half Biscuit and ended with the Blockheads. 185 bands, of many different genres. But what I started thinking about was that moment in a gig when they play a drum intro or bass line and you know the song, and it takes you back to your youth, to a good time, to a great memory or because you love the song so much it suddenly makes everything feel good. You forget your aches and pains, your debt or bad times and you feel ....feel pure pleasure I suppose. Isn't music just the best drug!

I shall go back to being ignored now but I hope everyone has had a good year and has had some great memories made or relived for them.

Dee, that is so true, it's one of the reasons I love listening to music, all the memories that a certain band or song brings is magical.

I am so lucky to of seen some great bands and had such great laughs with good friends while seeing them.

Hopefully with the five festivals next year (so far) more memories and people will be gained.

What when who how

Not ignoring you at all

xxxxxxxx

What you say about music is 100% my view. I don't do drugs apart from alcohol, life and music but not in that order.

Btw Dee you are not ignored, you are a wonderful person who I am very proud to of met.

Me too! Dee, don't be silly!!

185 gigs, that's good going! I agree with you too, music is amazing. It can do so much!

What when who how

Not ignoring you at all

xxxxxxxx

What you say about music is 100% my view. I don't do drugs apart from alcohol, life and music but not in that order.

whoah everyone!!! Maybe I chose the wrong word - I'm not so great at expressing what I mean in print. I meant nobody should take notice of my ramblings, they are just my thoughts and feelings so to speak, so just ignore me. I've always been someone on the sidelines - bit of an odd un and perhaps it's where I feel most comfortable.

Splodge - tis a two way thang! and looking forward to doing it all again next year.

whoah everyone!!! Maybe I chose the wrong word - I'm not so great at expressing what I mean in print. I meant nobody should take notice of my ramblings, they are just my thoughts and feelings so to speak, so just ignore me. I've always been someone on the sidelines - bit of an odd un and perhaps it's where I feel most comfortable.

Splodge - tis a two way thang! and looking forward to doing it all again next year.

Hands up who here is good with words..................................

group.of_.people.shutterstock_53609095.j

Thought as much.

I know I type lots that does not read how I meant it to be.

Dee - can't ignore 185 bands in a year! That's mental - I presume it includes festivals? Haven't added mine up for this year, probably around 100 I guess.

Day off pottering today. Done a bit of cleaning, wrapped the latest arrival of pressies, listened to some Christmassy music (bit of Kate Bush, Sting and now Marillion's Christmas album).

Off out to buy some cheese in a moment.

Dee - can't ignore 185 bands in a year! That's mental - I presume it includes festivals? Haven't added mine up for this year, probably around 100 I guess.

Yes it was festivals as well as gigs. We decided this year to keep a log. The criteria was that we had to see AT LEAST 20 mins of a set to count. We guessimated 150 - 200 so we were spot on really.

It's easy to misinterpret some posts, even if the OP has written them as intended, as well. It's a minefield of potential misunderstanding in theory.

Life would be far easier if we can just hold a conversation face to face. But even then people can be two-faced. Such are the complexities of human interaction I suppose.