• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeffie

• lucyginger

• thurlow84

• A Guy Called Matt

Hi all

Busy ol' Weekend at Ben Towers. So busy that I am really struggling to keep up with the iPod/iTunes track call-out...I never know which one you're on now!

Last night Child 1's (17yrs) band played a 'headline' gig in Birmingham. they did really well, especially as the wicked stepfather of their drummer has banned him from rehearsing/playing with the band until after A levels. What an arse. Successes in both are not mutually exclusive, for goodness' sake.

Today was rugby with Child 3 (13yrs). I reffed and did an ok enough job to get some very nice comments from their coaches. We had a good win, which was important as we have the Cup semi-final in two weeks and we need to keep the momentum going.

This afternoon is a quieter affair, hanging out en famille, getting excited about watching Best in Show at Crufts later! I was going to go yesterday (terrier and hound day), but Child 2 started her new job, so I didn't have anyone to go with. Just as well, really, as I genuinely didn't really have time. Mrs Ben ran 15 miles yesterday in her ongoing training for the Paris Marathon - 5 weeks today, yikes!

Been listening to Courtney Barnett a lot recently. So pleased that, if all rumours come true, she will be at GF2015. I have ordered her new LP on orange vinyl in anticipation of her playing. Any other fans of the Australian slacker in the NFR NFC family?

Ben

Hi all

Busy ol' Weekend at Ben Towers. So busy that I am really struggling to keep up with the iPod/iTunes track call-out...I never know which one you're on now!

Last night Child 1's (17yrs) band played a 'headline' gig in Birmingham. they did really well, especially as the wicked stepfather of their drummer has banned him from rehearsing/playing with the band until after A levels. What an arse. Successes in both are not mutually exclusive, for goodness' sake.

Today was rugby with Child 3 (13yrs). I reffed and did an ok enough job to get some very nice comments from their coaches. We had a good win, which was important as we have the Cup semi-final in two weeks and we need to keep the momentum going.

This afternoon is a quieter affair, hanging out en famille, getting excited about watching Best in Show at Crufts later! I was going to go yesterday (terrier and hound day), but Child 2 started her new job, so I didn't have anyone to go with. Just as well, really, as I genuinely didn't really have time. Mrs Ben ran 15 miles yesterday in her ongoing training for the Paris Marathon - 5 weeks today, yikes!

Been listening to Courtney Barnett a lot recently. So pleased that, if all rumours come true, she will be at GF2015. I have ordered her new LP on orange vinyl in anticipation of her playing. Any other fans of the Australian slacker in the NFR NFC family?

Ben

Afternoon Essay

Whats Child 1s band called?

Afternoon Essay

Whats Child 1s band called?

Hey, thurlow

Hollow People

https://soundcloud.com/hollowpeople

He's the singer (and pretends to play keyboards). They're a really nice bunch of lads. Musically, not really up my street, but hey, he's ma boy, isn't he?!

Spent a two hour round trip taking the drum kit, amps and basses into Brum yesterday afternoon, home for a quick shower and then back in again! Brought everything home afterwards. Just a taxi driver/roadie, me.

In my day, we had to sort ourselves out! I was the singer in my band and we lugged the stuff around sans parents!

Ben

Hey, thurlow

Hollow People

https://soundcloud.com/hollowpeople

He's the singer (and pretends to play keyboards). They're a really nice bunch of lads. Musically, not really up my street, but hey, he's ma boy, isn't he?!

Spent a two hour round trip taking the drum kit, amps and basses into Brum yesterday afternoon, home for a quick shower and then back in again! Brought everything home afterwards. Just a taxi driver/roadie, me.

In my day, we had to sort ourselves out! I was the singer in my band and we lugged the stuff around sans parents!

Ben

Im sure he'll remember the help you've gave if they become sucessful

Im sure he'll remember the help you've gave if they become sucessful

Oh, bless you thurlow!

TBH, I'm sure (hoping) that none of them hold unrealistic ambitions. They're nearing the end of school and most of them should be off to educational pastures new in a few months. But, I remember how much fun it was. With things like SoundCloud, though, it is SO much easier to get people to know about/listen to you these days. A different musical world, indeed. I read an article recently observing that it has never been easier to be a successful 'amateur' band, and never more difficult to be a successful professional one.

Child 3 is, in fact, my musical prodigy. I am trying extremely hard not to make it too blatant that I am living my own musical aspirations vicariously through him! He is good, mind...

Ben