• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeffie

• lucyginger

• thurlow84

• A Guy Called Matt

Brekkie at the Park you say!

What's on the menu and when might it be??

I was not going to bring a mobile at all this year but I might now do so....... we had a useful file on Facebook of names and numbers.

Shall we set one up again??

Someone will have to add mine and PM me the file.

I'm a bit of a pathological non-FBer!

(that says 'FBer", not Finbarr, before anyone tries...)

Ben

Message me the details and I will add once I set it up.

I will do matty.

Currently considering my 'phone options.

I want to bring as small a phone as I can, so might get a SIM for an old one. That would obviously give me a new number, so might have to leave details until shortly pre-festival.

Ben

Fab!

I have prescribed almost all of those over the years, and personally used, ahem, quite a number!

The only thing I don't understand is what the hell that was doing in your music library, slodge!

Ben

Ben

I have a very varied music library.

Currently copying to new NAS drive but making sure all the titles and data correct prior to copying.

I think I am having a ABHC moment :)

Brekkie at the Park you say!

What's on the menu and when might it be??

I was not going to bring a mobile at all this year but I might now do so....... we had a useful file on Facebook of names and numbers.

Shall we set one up again??

Yes to bring mobile

Yes to the mobile list

I would ask this question in the main forum but it is a bit scarey out there.

Do you think music is over digitised these days?

The reason I ask is, I am sorting my music libruary and playing random tracks. I have noticed the older tracks sound so much better with instruments being clearer and a the track generally being less trebbley.

I know vinyl sounds better.

Just curious of people's thoughts.

Ta very much :)

I will do matty.

Currently considering my 'phone options.

I want to bring as small a phone as I can, so might get a SIM for an old one. That would obviously give me a new number, so might have to leave details until shortly pre-festival.

Ben

Best option is to buy a cheap Nokia (other brands are available) it lasts ages and does the job.

Just got back home from a day out at West Bay in Dorset. Gorgeous sunshine, blue skies and just a gentle breeze. Fish & chips in the harbour cafe, a walk along Chesil beach, sandcastles and toes in the sea. Spring days don't get much better!

How is everyone?

The reason I ask is, I am sorting my music libruary and playing random tracks. I have noticed the older tracks sound so much better with instruments being clearer and a the track generally being less trebbley.

For a while I fluctuated between genuinely believing that mp3s were the devil's work and thinking it was just me being a music snob again.

More recently I have decided that, in my opinion at least, digital music is pretty shitty.

I have some decent earbuds, and I can, even with ears the age of mine, hear just how much I'm not hearing (if you get me!) when I listen to mp3s. It does improve with higher bit rate and lossless formats, but in essence they're all a bit crap. I read that a typical mp3 of 192/256kbps quality retains about 15% of the original source data from the recording. So we're not hearing 85% of what the artist recorded!

I now genuinely believe that my loving vinyl is not just hipster wannabe activity, but a conscious and subconscious acknowledgement that the sound is richer as it contains so much more of what was recorded.

As to whether 'older' music sounds better than more modern digitised music, I think that it varies enormously from recording to recording, and is not specifically era-related. Not dissimilar, in fact, to the variation in the quality of vinyl pressings, in a way. I have records that sound SO clean and clear, and were obviously brilliant pressings.

Anyway, short answer is that digital music is actually pretty crap. The fact that we have all, by and large, got used to that drop in clarity and quality is the reason why many are so disparaging when someone actually says that digital music is crap!

Hope that helps (fully aware that it won't)

Ben

x

Just got back home from a day out at West Bay in Dorset. Gorgeous sunshine, blue skies and just a gentle breeze. Fish & chips in the harbour cafe, a walk along Chesil beach, sandcastles and toes in the sea. Spring days don't get much better!

How is everyone?

Hope you have left some sunshine and fish and chips for us, we are there this weekend (Friday until Monday).

Glad you had a good day

Hope you have left some sunshine and fish and chips for us, we are there this weekend (Friday until Monday).

Glad you had a good day

Well, the 'forecast' ( if you believe such mumbo jumbo) is good for the weekend, particularly Friday. There were no signs of fish & chip stocks running low, either! Hope you enjoy yourselves!

I play music via laptop/tablet speakers currently, so it's all unclear. Although my record player had inbuilt speakers, I can hear a difference in output, as well as one record which is poor quality pressing. My dream is better kit, but I have other more pressing matters for money.

Slodge, what NAS did you get?

I said pretty much the same when I went from vinyl to CD's

Music created for vinyl sounds best on vinyl

Music created for CD's sounds best on CD's

etc etc etc etc

It is how they are produced.

I thought Elvis on CD was dreadful - it lost the raw energy somehow

Now I NEED fish and chips but they always make me feel poorly but taste delicious at the time. The batter doesn't agree with me.

You can ask for it 'without batter', they wipe most of it off, as that absorbs the fat, and there's less to eat or remove.

I'm starving now.