Adele

brettredmayne

if that sort of thing bothered me all I'd listen to is opera.

In order of importance in a band, singing quality is probably the least important element. I'm a flaming lips fan for gods sake!

Fair point - I'm quite vocal orientated so I struggle listening to a voice I don't like. I guess the point with Adele is that her voice is her main selling point. So if you're not so keen on it (I also find it rather soul-less oddly) she doesn't have a lot more to offer.

I have no problem with her headlining by the way. After watching all three Pyramid headliners this year I'd quite like a year away from the stage!

It's a horrible style. "Let the skyfawwwwll, when it crummmbawwwwwlllllls"........

Call it what you like, it sounds terrible.

I'm not a big Adele fan, but I will defend consonants! I love it when Thom Yorke hangs on an 'ss', or when Frank Sinatra enunciates a nice crisp 't'. I sang in a barbershop chorus for a while and we had to throw away all the consonants and just hang on the vowels. On every song, all the time, it drove me mad. Use of consonants can really help in expressing the emotion of a song. I always find vowel-centric singing to be rather detached from the subject matter. Like when opera singers cover Beatles songs, urgh!

She may overuse them, fair enough, but I'm glad they can be used sometimes.

And on the opera thing - vocal quality does matter to me, which is why I can't stand that awful, overwrought, overly-technical, vowel-centric racket called opera!

"The only reason you listen to is is because it's poor form to wear a hat that says 'I went to private school'".