Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

What's with all the 1 hour DJ sets on Arcadia this year and around the festival in general, you can barely get into it before it's finished with a 1 hour set!

It's always been like that at Glastonbury, and Arcadia is usually the worst. I mean, 90mins is usually too short to get into a set properly, and 2 hours is almost unheard of on Arcadia. I wonder when Amelie Lens last played for only 70 minutes! At least we get some 2h sets in Block9.

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

It's always been like that at Glastonbury, and Arcadia is usually the worst. I mean, 90mins is usually too short to get into a set properly, and 2 hours is almost unheard of on Arcadia. I wonder when Amelie Lens last played for only 70 minutes! At least we get some 2h sets in Block9.

Ben

Nobody wants to come on and slow things down when they only have an hour to pick things back up again so it just leads to each set getting more and more boshing.

I mean, I like boshing, but I prefer a DJ to take you on a bit of a [cliche alert] journey over the course of their set, which basically never happens at festivals…

23 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Nothing at all in that genre of music this year. 😭

Yeah, first year I can remember not having a proggy house option (Sasha, Digweed, Howells, Seaman, Emerson, Warren). 

Feels weird. 

I've made it to Glastonbury. Personal circumstances meant I couldn't even try for a ticket in November. I've been on every volunteer and work waitlist since and now one has come through! See you on the dancefloor and any Hopkins-heads planning on his ambient set in the new Woodsies after-dark area?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ravermum said:

I've made it to Glastonbury. Personal circumstances meant I couldn't even try for a ticket in November. I've been on every volunteer and work waitlist since and now one has come through! See you on the dancefloor and any Hopkins-heads planning on his ambient set in the new Woodsies after-dark area?

Which one just out of interest ? Just to give some hope on the volunteers thread and more importantly congratulations 🙌 

1 hour ago, Grinding aftertaste said:

Not mashup exactly, but Daniel Avery is playing an electroclash set at Stonebridge. Erol Alkan is playing at least a couple of sets too - haven't seen him in a long time though so not sure what he plays at the moment.

Thanks. I appreciate my request was kind of the opposite of the previous few posts too. I'll see if I can get up to that Daniel Avery set but we're not arriving until Thursday afternoon.

Whilst I really like the music he produces, I've seen erol a few times and it's never quite been my thing although in theory it should be. I do like the essential mix he did for big weekend from 2009 though. Might pop in if I'm in the vicinity.

I've got my eye on a few of the silver hayes sets as well. It seems a lot more balanced and better stocked than in previous years. The shogun 20 years set should be fun (although obviously not mashup).

Edited by dcsessions

15 minutes ago, ravermum said:

Definitely, but depending on shifts, although I dunno if it's just an album play through rather than him actually being there. 

Don't find out my shifts till the Tuesday of Glasto week but will keep in touch. 

34 minutes ago, rubick said:

Yeah, first year I can remember not having a proggy house option (Sasha, Digweed, Howells, Seaman, Emerson, Warren). 

Feels weird. 

Whilst not exclusively proggy, have been listening to some of Unai Trotti’s sets. Elements of the above named in their, for sure. On at The Assembly Saturday night.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Talcroft said:

Definitely, but depending on shifts, although I dunno if it's just an album play through rather than him actually being there. 

Don't find out my shifts till the Tuesday of Glasto week but will keep in touch. 

Ah okay, I didn't think of that but I'm hoping he will be... I'm same about finding out shifts Tuesday. I saw on your profile your NW based. So am I. Drop me a message if you want to say hi 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ravermum said:

Ah okay, I didn't think of that but I'm hoping he will be... I'm same about finding out shifts Tuesday. I saw on your profile your NW based. So am I. Drop me a message if you want to say hi 

Will do. I'm on my hols for a few days now but will message when I'm home 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Red Telephone said:

Whilst not exclusively proggy, have been listening to some of Unai Trotti’s sets. Elements of the above named in their, for sure. On at The Assembly Saturday night.

He essentially plays electro, and is very good at it. Been wanting to see him for a while and so will try to make that set. 

Ben

Maybe a bit of a weird one and maybe even something for a different thread, but you lot seem like a knowledgeable bunch.....

What makes an electronic set 'good'? I really enjoy some electronica/dance but come from a background of rock/indie/guitar based music. In those genres it's a lot about (for me) crowd interaction, singalongs and the wall-of-sound feeling but I feel these things don't always translate to an electronic set. 

I really enjoyed bicep in 2022  and I think a lot of that was the visuals that went so well with the music. I saw them in Greenman the same year and it was geat but nowhere near the experience we had in Glastonbury. 

I want to try and experience a bit more of this side of the festival this year but the options are a bit overwhelming and not knowing exactly what I'm getting in to makes those past 1am sets after a long day a hard sell at times. Problem is I love so much music that I will happily be up watching some weird folk band at 10:00am and then run around for the next 14 hours until I'm dead 😅

Not sure there's even a question here, just some general musings. 

57 minutes ago, j00nbrains said:

Maybe a bit of a weird one and maybe even something for a different thread, but you lot seem like a knowledgeable bunch.....

What makes an electronic set 'good'? I really enjoy some electronica/dance but come from a background of rock/indie/guitar based music. In those genres it's a lot about (for me) crowd interaction, singalongs and the wall-of-sound feeling but I feel these things don't always translate to an electronic set. 

I really enjoyed bicep in 2022  and I think a lot of that was the visuals that went so well with the music. I saw them in Greenman the same year and it was geat but nowhere near the experience we had in Glastonbury. 

I want to try and experience a bit more of this side of the festival this year but the options are a bit overwhelming and not knowing exactly what I'm getting in to makes those past 1am sets after a long day a hard sell at times. Problem is I love so much music that I will happily be up watching some weird folk band at 10:00am and then run around for the next 14 hours until I'm dead 😅

Not sure there's even a question here, just some general musings. 

So many different factors for me. Hard to say exactly what makes a set 'good' but firstly it would have to fit in with my tastes.

Also of high importance is your mood, what you've taken, where you're stood in relation to the stage, sound and visual quality, who you're with, weather(if outside) , how busy it is etc. Put them all together and it's quite the euphoric feeling if it all clicks at once.

4 minutes ago, CH0161 said:

So many different factors for me. Hard to say exactly what makes a set 'good' but firstly it would have to fit in with my tastes.

Also of high importance is your mood, what you've taken, where you're stood in relation to the stage, sound and visual quality, who you're with, weather(if outside) , how busy it is etc. Put them all together and it's quite the euphoric feeling if it all clicks at once.

completely agree with the above - would also add, DJ knowing the room they're playing too and fitting the vibe. There are some sounds that would never fit in a warehouse (in my opinion) - equally there are darker warehouse sounds that would never work at a sunset in glasto for example. The best DJ's read the room and adapt accordingly