Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

26 minutes ago, scmusic said:

Curious, how did they manage it without Maxi? 

(saying this as a big Faithless fan, and someone who was lucky to hang out with Maxi through mutual friends a few times 20ish years ago)

They still had his voice and visuals of him. It was a nice homage and well done. 

Then for later songs they brought out a guest singer (but mainly for covers)

7 hours ago, nikkic said:

Prydz was decent, but it was heaving. No room to dance properly.

DJ Stingray was the one yesterday. Full on pelters.

Tons on the Park edge as I could easily nip in and out on my break. But the sound on that edge is abysmal - way too quite and too much bleed from HMS Sweet Charity. 

Chris stussy b2b rossi at the bus was a surprising highlight of mine. Have often been a little snobby about the minimal tech scene but a mate was desperate to go and I’m glad we did - the crowd was right with them!

Partok Genosys & Coco María sunrise @ HMS other highlights. Haai Saoirse @ Assembly biggest disappointment

Well what a week that was.

Hope all you E/D legends had a good one!

I managed to see majority of what i planned to but chose to mainly see bands in the day this year and DJS at night. 

Highlights of my electronic week were:

Assembly on thursday night for Sugar Free b2b Fonte, into Dave harvey b2b Felix dickinson and then Dresden into Decius live. All 4 sets were incredible and being in Assembly for the first time blew me away. The sound and the lights inside were next level.

Friday night saw Jungle and then called it early although i did really want to see Freakenstein but the queue for SEC was crazy for Bicep and i didnt fancy the long walk round via stone circle.

Saturday i chose to get down to SEC before 10pm as i wanted to go into NYC Downlow, we caught the end of Garrett David live whilst waiting in the queue for NYC and then stayed there till 5am. Giden once again was amazing and has always been the reason why i go to NYC, the energy from start to finsih was insane. What a club that is. Big shouts out to Jeff Mendoza and DJ SPEN also for killing it before Gideon.

Sunday was the one night i was most looking forward to and it didnt let me down at all. DIY Soundsystem on the Genosys stage was the best thing i saw all weekend, tunes from start to finish were next level and then Felix Dickinson ended what has been one of my favourite Glastos to date, albeit a very crowded one but i still enjoyed it!!

x

12 hours ago, TomTom1239 said:

Levels has unfortunately quickly turned into a pigpen for chavs and dealers. Absolute steer clear for me this year

Massively depends who's playing.

The person you quoted went for Ben Hemsley, Skream and Jamie Jones which are probably the worst trio for attracting a crowd that isn't 90% nike shirts

Finished our shifts at 10pm on Saturday and decided that instead of endlessly wandering around the SE corner, we'd commit to an area and stay there.

Decided on Arcadia for BCS/ JA/ Prydz etc. Stayed until about 11.30, but wasn't really feeling it. Music from the first two wasn't doing a lot for us, sound wasn't great (despite being very close) and sometimes that big field can appear a bit like a wasteland.

Anyway, decided on the Glade and had absolute blast with Layla Benitez and FBS! Don't @ me 😜

4 hours ago, gfa said:

Massively depends who's playing.

The person you quoted went for Ben Hemsley, Skream and Jamie Jones which are probably the worst trio for attracting a crowd that isn't 90% nike shirts

Crowd changed a lot for Ben Hemsley to be fair. At least where I was standing anyway. Few older heads, like myself, came in for trance fix after Skream finished.

There's dealers everywhere, shouldn't really pin it to a certain venue, Levels is far from a chav pigpen.

Everything I saw was amazing. A particular (unplanned) highlight was Daria Kolosova on the Temple. I even missed (my previous must-see) Stingray to see out her entire set. 

The Temple's vibes remain unrivaled at the festival. Or any festival for that matter. When you're in there, it feels like its own little world. 

• Upvote 2

Main electronic highlights…..

Haai b2b Ki/Ki 

Was everything I’d hoped for, a full hour (or so) of pounding acid and techno, the sound was also awesome. 

Joy Orbison 

Only caught 45 minutes but was superb. 

Ross From Friends 

We dipped LCD early as it wasn’t doing much for us, and wandered down to San Remo.

Set was built beautifully, culminating in a superb remix of Madonna, Like A Prayer 😂

DJ Stingray 

Shelled ICON with some heavy techno and electro, had loads of room to dance which was a bonus. 

Romy 

Best crowd of the weekend, pure party vibes. 

Barry Can’t Swim

Properly kicked off the festival for me, another superb crowd. 

On 7/1/2024 at 4:44 PM, cgall said:

Friday night at the Dragonfly. Simply perfect. Joy O into a thumping set from HAAi and KiKi, topped off by Amelie Lens is the stuff of dreams - love the spider but this was next level.

I was there for Joy O and HAAI / Kiki and I agree it was amazing 🤩 

I also loved DIY on Genosys Sunday night; used to go to DiY free parties back in the day and seeing them on the glorious Genosys stage was immense.  

Managed to get into NYC Downlow for the Francois K set (daytime NYC is the way forward) and really enjoyed a sweaty smiley dance with lots of lovely people. 

Edited by Pipine

Thursday:

Eats Everything (Stonebridge)

Was a bit of fun, has become a bit of a staple for kicking off Thursday for us. Need to queue early, but Stonebridge is a good venue.

Nextmen (Glade Dome)

Fairly busy & didn’t get involved in the melee. Musically were right and as expected.

King of the Beats (Glade Dome)

3 of my favourite DJs going B2B2B. As always, the whole not greater than the sum of its parts. But managed to get to the front and was a fun boogie and not too rammed.

The Orb (Glade Dome)

Gutted this was cancelled. Wandered over to Glade for Kurupt FM.

Marie Montexier (San Remo)

Dixon (San Remo)

Cramped. A lot of entitled people that “Need” to be at the front. Really wanted to see Dixon properly. Disappointment.

Friday

Sofia Kourtesis (West Holts)

Not really sure what I expected? Her tracks, big techno riffs. But 11am? Seemed wrongly placed.

Nightmares on Wax (Levels)

For a daytime venue, was pretty good. Had the type of vibe Craig Charles used to have before his Friday set got popular. Chilled, space to sit, relax & enjoy.

Faithless (Glade Stage)

Only caught a bit of it. But seemed pretty well attended, a nice vibe and the field wasn’t too rammed (the tent was). Heard GIADJ and Insomnia, so was happy.

Bicep (Iicon)

First time attending anything at Iicon. Was mobbed and ultimately when they stopped the music to alleviate the crush, we left.

Saturday

Daphni (Stonebridge)

Great set to start the day! Upbeat, a lot of Caribou stuff played. Got the vibe right, was busy without being uncomfortable. Great.

Francois K (NYC Downlow)

Took a punt that daytime at NYC Downlow would be easier to access than at night. Bonus that I’ve always to see Francois K. Great space. Great vibe. Was debating setting up camp in the for the remainder of Saturday, but ultimately stayed for 1.5 hours. Possible set of the weekend.

Hot Chip (DJ Set) (Arcadia)

Standard Hot Chip fayre. The new set up looked and sounded good. BUT was just too busy to be enjoyable.

Sunday
Girls Don’t Sync
(Levels)

Our finale for 2024. Was a bit of fun as we found a nice spot to dance in. Surfing the line between cheesy and… a bit less cheesy. Looked uncomfortable in the throng, which was 90%+ of it. Shame.

Edited by BigMarv
  • Upvote 1

Camephat on Sunday night were a surprisingly highlight for me. Blasting out a bunch of dance classics, and Glade was perfect level of busy for me. Had never actually been inside the tent at before, it’s huge inside. 

Thought Bicep were excellent at IICON, more so after the pause as it was less squished. 

Went to see Dj Tennis at Glade Dome to close the festival. He closed with this track and it’s been stuck in my head ever since

Edited by gordong
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Everything I saw was amazing. A particular (unplanned) highlight was Daria Kolosova on the Temple. I even missed (my previous must-see) Stingray to see out her entire set. 

The Temple's vibes remain unrivaled at the festival. Or any festival for that matter. When you're in there, it feels like its own little world. 

Its a shame Temple was so ridiculously busy all festival. Swear it was way worse than last year - i just don't want to queue an hour to get in any venue honestly.