Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

In the spirit of the bigger thread on attending gigs solo, do many in here do it for club nights?

Only worked up the courage to do it once before at one of Andy C's XOYO residencies, but thinking of going to a specific night at Fabric soon.

Edited by mjfromthelane

Yes, mainly by accident though! I queued with a mate for an hour at Manchester's White Hotel last weekend not knowing it was cash-only. Only had enough for myself, he went bank but didnt return. Was fine as the place is so smoked filled you could be with 20 friends or on your own and not know the difference. 

Went to a Boiler Room night in Bristol. For one reason or another mates didnt get in, so stayed on my own. 

Been to El Row at Amnesia on my own. Mate refused to pay 85e on the door. 

As I approach 40, if it isnt a really young crowd, once i'm in and listening/dancing to music - im fine. 

8 hours ago, mjfromthelane said:

In the spirit of the bigger thread on attending gigs solo, do many in here do it for club nights?

Only worked up the courage to do it once before at one of Andy C's XOYO residencies, but thinking of going to a specific night at Fabric soon.

Done it a couple of times at WHP, it's big enough and dark enough to be pretty anonymous and I haven't noticed any attention towards me, although I do feel a bit self conscious. 

Bonobo and Tourist gigs were club vibes and great fun, felt less conscious of it there as it was shorter.

8 hours of Kieran at WHP soon is really gonna test my nerve!

I went to see 2manydjs and Erol Alkan on my own just before Christmas last year at Electric Brixton. Most of the 'issue' around this is in your head as majority of people don't notice or care. I'm 48 btw so was older than most of the others there and it was all fine.

My lad turned 18 in May and is massively into dance music so I'm fortunate as we go to a lot of events together now. In exactly 2 weeks we'll be in the Gashouder for Awakenings Upclose with Four Tet as my birthday present to him was a weekend at ADE. Got a boat party hosted by PIV on Saturday afternoon and then Breakfast Club on Sunday with Avalon Emerson, Call Super and Peach. Also looking at getting late/cheap tickets for DGTL with Bonobo, DJ Tennis, John Talabot and Young Marco on Friday night and possibly a party with Anz on Saturday. Just hope we make it back to Schiphol in time for our plane on Sunday evening!!

We're also booked to see Todd Terje at Phonox the weekend after and then Bugged Out at Drumsheds with the Chems. My wife isn't into it at all so he's really opened the door for me to go out fairly regularly again - feels like the coming of the second summer of love or something!! We get to spend quality time together as well doing something we both really enjoy so it's been a great few months already.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Semprini said:

I went to see 2manydjs and Erol Alkan on my own just before Christmas last year at Electric Brixton. Most of the 'issue' around this is in your head as majority of people don't notice or care. I'm 48 btw so was older than most of the others there and it was all fine.

My lad turned 18 in May and is massively into dance music so I'm fortunate as we go to a lot of events together now. In exactly 2 weeks we'll be in the Gashouder for Awakenings Upclose with Four Tet as my birthday present to him was a weekend at ADE. Got a boat party hosted by PIV on Saturday afternoon and then Breakfast Club on Sunday with Avalon Emerson, Call Super and Peach. Also looking at getting late/cheap tickets for DGTL with Bonobo, DJ Tennis, John Talabot and Young Marco on Friday night and possibly a party with Anz on Saturday. Just hope we make it back to Schiphol in time for our plane on Sunday evening!!

We're also booked to see Todd Terje at Phonox the weekend after and then Bugged Out at Drumsheds with the Chems. My wife isn't into it at all so he's really opened the door for me to go out fairly regularly again - feels like the coming of the second summer of love or something!! We get to spend quality time together as well doing something we both really enjoy so it's been a great few months already.

Love this, mate.

Early signs are that I’ve managed to impart my love for dance music on my two, both really into it.

At 4 and 8 respectively, there’s a long way before I can potentially share a dance floor with them, but there’s promise. 

(When they turn 18 I’ll be 51 and then 55, so it might all be beyond me by that point tbh!).