Prodigy....

Swine_Glasto2014

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any word on support bands for the tour?

Do they normally have dance bands/artists supporting them or do they have rock bands?

Last time I saw them at their own gig rather than at a festival they had:

Kicks like a mule (dj'ing old skool / haçienda style house)

An electro DJ who's name escapes me. Think he had a radio one show at one point.

Dizzee Rascal.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUd405vilu0

Proper set. His mixing is a bit ropey but that's how it was back in the day. The tunes are fantastic though.

Thats a great listen...........Charly into Infiltrate 202............happy days!

As for the mixing, it was a lot more manual then with no technical assists at all. There will be no complaints from this quarter

Have you ever tried mixing old rave records? Unlike later house records/techno/d&b etc records, they weren't really made to a 'forumula' that is particularly conducive to mixing (with nice long intros that build up gradually, etc)!

Edited by Homer

Have you ever tried mixing old rave records? Unlike later house records/techno/d&b etc records, they weren't really made to a 'forumula' that is particularly conducive to mixing (with nice long intros that build up gradually, etc)!

They just require a different skill. More cutting / chopping tunes than mixing. Some Early trance tunes were similar.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

For the record, beat mixing was far harder years ago. It is not really a challenge these days with software. But software opens up many other possibilities which were just not possible with 2 turntables and a bag of records.

It is still funny watching kids who have grown up with cdj's and midicontrollers fall flat on their face when they get on a set of turntables.

Prodigy announced for Beni. I fancy them for V now really rather than Glasto.

Edited by eastynh

Last time I saw them at their own gig rather than at a festival they had:

Kicks like a mule (dj'ing old skool / haçienda style house)

An electro DJ who's name escapes me. Think he had a radio one show at one point.

Dizzee Rascal.

The dj was Kissy Sell Out, at the Wembley Arena gig anyway.

I wonder what happened to that dude?

For the record, beat mixing was far harder years ago. It is not really a challenge these days with software. But software opens up many other possibilities which were just not possible with 2 turntables and a bag of records.

It is still funny watching kids who have grown up with cdj's and midicontrollers fall flat on their face when they get on a set of turntables.

Get with the times grandpa, nobody uses turntables anymore unless you're trying to show off, why make the job harder for yourself than needs be?

Also, mad breakbeats with a ton of piano etc over are far harder to match than a simple four to the flor that gradually builds nicely for you layer by layer.

People who are concerned about how 'technically' good a DJ is are like those people who think muicianship and knowing lots of chords are the pre-requisites for a good guitarist. They probably think football is about statistics too. It's good though, means I can figure out nice and early whose opinion to ignore.

DJing is about choosing the right tracks for the occasion. If your mixing isn't down to a millionth of a second, well, you know, who gives a fuck?

Get with the times grandpa, nobody uses turntables anymore unless you're trying to show off, why make the job harder for yourself than needs be?

It is more enjoyable playing vinyl. Plus I love record shopping, it is something I have grown up with.

I am a fan of the midicontrollers though. No good for me as I do not dj out of the house any more. But if I did then I would have no hesitation using one. But using vinyl is far more enjoyable so as a bedroom dj it would be pointless me using a midicontroller considering I have spent the best part of the last 20 years collecting vinyl.