Of Monsters and Men
Don Broco
Slaves
The Strypes
The Orwells
Coasts

Metronomy
Twenty One Pilots

really doubt reading would ever have a grime artist(s) as their closing set. regardless of reading becoming more mainstream in recent years, it's not creamfields or mutiny

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, justanothername said:

Shikari said the same thing in 2014 on their Facebook and also they are around that year. Also they released a single today and doing a tour in February so unless they forgot about those two things I have no idea what they're talking about with "not around this year". They'll be probably be there this year

They're also doing festivals in Europe and North America. Odd thing to say, if they did.

30 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

mm 

12417610_1000415313379285_693060943706573682_n.jpg

Is that real? How is it possible to forge a career and make millions simply from filming yourself shouting at FIFA, and making outdated Heskey jokes?

Anyway, re: The Strokes. I thought they should have subbed in 2011 since they were long past their peak then. Them into the Roses would make an excellent pairing, if not a bit "Indie disco." I also don't see why the Roses shouldn't have a strong sub, after last year and 2014 I think they should be going for bigger, more established acts to subheadline.

2 hours ago, DirtyChorizo said:

really doubt reading would ever have a grime artist(s) as their closing set. regardless of reading becoming more mainstream in recent years, it's not creamfields or mutiny

Both of the Mutiny Festival headliners closed the NME last year...

1 hour ago, Yellow_Fellow said:

grime isn't mainstream you fuck

But they play it in the clubz

1 hour ago, JSmurphy said:

mm 

12417610_1000415313379285_693060943706573682_n.jpg

I don't listen to much Grime but I do know enough to tell you KSI is the shit stain of it

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

They're also doing festivals in Europe and North America. Odd thing to say, if they did.

Yeah and that too. They're even doing one in the Ukraine the weekend before R&L

1 hour ago, Yellow_Fellow said:

grime isn't mainstream you fuck

first of all, calm down. I meant mainstream in the sense of the demographic that goes to reading (16-21 year old middle class white kids) which is at least half of the grime audience by now. In a general sense however, i agree. Grime is not mainstream. No need to get your tits twisted over misunderstanding something. Also I enjoy grime i'm not opposed to it but reading is not really the place for it.

9 minutes ago, justanothername said:

Both of the Mutiny Festival headliners closed the NME last year...

But they play it in the clubz

I don't listen to much Grime but I do know enough to tell you KSI is the shit stain of it

Yeah and that too. They're even doing one in the Ukraine the weekend before R&L

NME stage is completely different though, closing the relatively tiny NME tent and closing the main stage are completely different animals.

2 hours ago, VCK said:

Anyway, re: The Strokes. I thought they should have subbed in 2011 since they were long past their peak then. Them into the Roses would make an excellent pairing, if not a bit "Indie disco." I also don't see why the Roses shouldn't have a strong sub, after last year and 2014 I think they should be going for bigger, more established acts to subheadline.

Even if they had, it would have been to a band who would probably be sub as well in Pulp, so they both co-headed, just like the co-headers will be this year. They should be going for bigger more established subs if they put the ticket price back up to £100 from £65 odd. The argument that a weekend ticket now costs more that 3 combined day tickets is bull, the honest answer in there is that if you have a weekend ticket at R&L now, the festival are also charging you for camping whether you choose to believe it or not, the days are much cheaper like and closer to the fees of your other one dayers as simply they aren't and likewise once you're in, you're in. The fest was probably losing too much money by booking a bigger act(s) and not selling enough tickets, for example as well the last couple of years Reading parking has doubled in price. Some overseas festivals are starting to increase the extra bits as well.

Might be an unpopular opinion but Stone Roses are dull to me, just can't get in to them! I'm a fan of other 90's Britpop stuff but I dunno about TSR, anyone suggest any of their songs that might change my mind? 

Btw, I haven't listened to too much TSR to get a great impression, Fool's gold is a good'un tho

Edited by oli98

2 minutes ago, oli98 said:

Might be an unpopular opinion but Stone Roses are dull to me, just can't get in to them! I'm a fan of other 90's Britpop stuff but I dunno about TSR, anyone suggest any of their songs that might change my mind? 

I like their music but I don't think they have headline tunes in all honesty. Its like putting Ben Howard as a headliner, great songs mostly, but he's never gonna get the crowd going. 

40 minutes ago, DirtyChorizo said:

I like their music but I don't think they have headline tunes in all honesty. Its like putting Ben Howard as a headliner, great songs mostly, but he's never gonna get the crowd going. 

No. It's not. Nothing alike. Also what is this about headline tunes? Ever been to an indie night club ever? 

2 minutes ago, justanothername said:

No. It's not. Nothing alike. Also what is this about headline tunes? Ever been to an indie night club ever? 

my comparison is to point out the reception the band would get not unto the actual music. Stop confusing yourself. Reading festival with 90,000 people is a far fucking call from an "indie night club" LOOOL. please educate yourself.

1 hour ago, DirtyChorizo said:

37 minutes ago, DirtyChorizo said:

please educate yourself.

Shitting hell. This is just about the main thing they have going for them; big singalong tunes. I don't know what a headline tune is but they probably have quite a few of those seeing as they've only ever headlined festivals.

1 hour ago, oli98 said:

Btw, I haven't listened to too much TSR to get a great impression, Fool's gold is a good'un tho

Listen to the debut album in full. Not Britpop either FWIW.

4 hours ago, VCK said:

Would've been a bit confusing if they just randomly subbed after headlining IOW and releasing a heavily hyped comeback album. Of course, the album didn't go down so well and neither did their performance but as long as they still have a devoted fanbase and the headliner pool remains shallow then they'll come back and scoop headline slots for the foreseeable.

They're still believed to charge a hefty fee and no festival is gonna stretch to that just to bolster the undercard with something that people are hellbent on happening when they can stick some shitter like The 1975 in there for a fraction of the cost.

28 minutes ago, oli98 said:

Complete wildcard, but I've seen a couple of sites say a new Tenacious D album is coming. Can't see it making Reading though. Thoughts? 

hahaha that would be hilarious. I hope they do come, but they could never get close to a headline understandably.

19 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Shitting hell. This is just about the main thing they have going for them; big singalong tunes. I don't know what a headline tune is but they probably have quite a few of those seeing as they've only ever headlined festivals.

Listen to the debut album in full. Not Britpop either FWIW.

I should phrase it better in fairness. If your going to have a band headlining i this day and age that is only barley classified as rock (stone roses) then they would have to be someone huge like an Oasis reunion or something, i just can't see stone roses being a good headliner. A reading festival headline tune would be something like, smells like teen spirit or knights of cydonia for example.