Weather thread 2015

Swine_Glasto2014

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends where you went in the site....the heavily traveled areas like silverhayes and the path between john peel/pyramid/silver hayes were churned up pretty well.

I can't remember it being that muddy last year .

I base it in on being able to sit down on the grass - which was impossible in 2007 but perfectly possible last year

Pohotos of mine from last year, first is taken in the park, second is in silver hayes....plenty of mud on the ground. I think these were both taken on the saturday morn.

Doesn't quality as a Glasto mudbath. At all. 

This is more like a mudbath. The sort that sucks the wellies off your legs with each step.

1309897045_Glasto_mud.jpg

1309896583_DSCN1098.JPG

1309865438_Glastonbury_2011-3.jpg

I can't remember it being that muddy last year .

I base it in on being able to sit down on the grass - which was impossible in 2007 but perfectly possible last year

Because there was no grass in 2007, anywhere. 

Edited by The Nal

07 < 11 < 05 < 14 < 08 < 04 < 09 < 13 < 10

In terms of precipitation / effect on ground conditions 2007 the worst in the last decade IMO.

I would switch a few of these around. Conditions on the ground in 2005 were seriously bad on the Friday and Saturday, and I recall 2004 being a litle bit worse than 2014 and much worse than 2008.

07 < 05 < 11 < 04 < 14 < 08 < 09 < 13 < 10

I would only class 2011, 2005 and 2007 as mudbaths, with 2007 being by far the worst.

2011:

11030708.jpg

2005:

glastonbury-festival-07.jpg

2007:

glastonbury-festival-42.jpg

This. Those areas and the other stage field were wrecked. Getting from Pennards to Silver Hayes via the other on Saturday last year took an enternity/was a nightmare. 

On the Friday night at about 11pm I attempted to run from Silver Hayes to Park Home and back along the track-free path through Oxlyers and I'm surprised I didn't twist both my ankles.

This is more like a mudbath. The sort that sucks the wellies off your legs with each step.

He's in a t-shirt! At least there is a chance of (humans) drying out after the rain.

1309896583_DSCN1098.JPG

1309865438_Glastonbury_2011-3.jpg

Did they ever get that bloke in the middle pic out?

I would switch a few of these around. Conditions on the ground in 2005 were seriously bad on the Friday and Saturday, and I recall 2004 being a litle bit worse than 2014 and much worse than 2008.

07 < 05 < 11 < 04 < 14 < 08 < 09 < 13 < 10

But from those pictures, 2011 looks the hardest to get around and 2007 the easiest (I was at all three so I know that's not what it was like!).

I would say 2005 was better than 2011 as it dried up quicker and the ground was bone dry to begin with so apart from very busy areas like at the front of stages there was just very slushy mud and a lot of standing water. I wore wellies for a lot less in 2005 than in 2011 and that's probably a good measurement of muddiness.

On the Friday night at about 11pm I attempted to run from Silver Hayes to Park Home and back along the track-free path through Oxlyers and I'm surprised I didn't twist both my ankles.

I like the idea that there was no particular reason why you attempted to run. Just a personal challenge to see if you could avoid breaking both ankles!

I hope there is never a repeat of 2011 in terms of the stickiness of the mud! .. It was horrible.

Churned up very quickly, and then starting drying out just as fast and left it very tough to walk on. Im struggling with a sore hip this year and really don't think I'll be able to hack it in conditions like that!

But from those pictures, 2011 looks the hardest to get around and 2007 the easiest (I was at all three so I know that's not what it was like!).

Thats because the 2007 pic shows type 1/2 mud (on my patented mud scale), which is much easier to move about in than type 3 mud. I didn't go in 2007, but in 2011 there was deep type 3 mud everywhere (especially theatre/circus field if I remember correctly), and it was an absolute nightmare to get anywhere!

Mudscale:

1 - Water mud

2 - Sloppy mud

3 - Sticky mud

4 - Plastersine mud

5 - Dry mud (aka normal ground)

6 - Dust

Thats because the 2007 pic shows type 1/2 mud (on my patented mud scale), which is much easier to move about in than type 3 mud. I didn't go in 2007, but in 2011 there was deep type 3 mud everywhere (especially theatre/circus field if I remember correctly), and it was an absolute nightmare to get anywhere!

Mudscale:

1 - Water mud

2 - Sloppy mud

3 - Sticky mud

4 - Plastersine mud

6 - Dust

Yeah - type 3 mud is really difficult to get around in. Maybe the worst.

But you're forgetting that while type 1 and 2 mud might be easier to move around in, it also probably means that your tent is ****Ed and that any sunshine will be followed by type 3 mud anyway.

I hope there is never a repeat of 2011 in terms of the stickiness of the mud! .. It was horrible.

Churned up very quickly, and then starting drying out just as fast and left it very tough to walk on. Im struggling with a sore hip this year and really don't think I'll be able to hack it in conditions like that!

In (I think) 09 I got stuck near the pissers at the back of the Pyramid. Like proper stuck. Had to step out of my wellies onto the mud in my socks and pull the wellies out by hand. Not great.

Could've been 04 actually.

Did they ever get that bloke in the middle pic out?

No but that wasn't the intention. He was placed there on purpose for talking loudly during gigs.

:lol: FFS!

I may get back to trolling. We're 3-4 days to early.

We're fucked.

Edited by The Nal

Mudscale:

1 - Water mud

2 - Sloppy mud

3 - Sticky mud

4 - Plastersine mud

6 - Dust

I like this scale.

And yes, theatre and circus tend to get the mud pretty bad. They had to shovel away the mud either side of Bella's Bridge last year because it was getting dangerous.