Weather thread 2015

Swine_Glasto2014

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From NetWeather:

Monday 22nd June - Sunday 28th June

High pressure will be close to the west and south-west of the British Isles during this week, but this will mean a chilly north to north-westerly flow over the British Isles at times, so temperatures will never be particularly warm for the time of year. The first half of the week will be relatively changeable in northern and eastern Britain, with shallow low pressure systems often tracking between Iceland, Scandinavia and the North Sea, but these are unlikely to produce much rainfall, with cool cloudy conditions and intermittent light rain or scattered showers being the predominant theme. For western and southern Britain, especially the south-west, the proximity of the high pressure should keep the weather mostly dry and sunny, with temperatures close to average for the time of year.

In the second half of the period the high pressure will move closer to the British Isles which will mean mostly dry sunny conditions spreading to the east of the country, and temperatures will rise close to average in the east and rather above in the west. The main exception will be the north and north-west of Scotland, where a strengthening westerly flow on the northern flank of the high pressure will bring cloudier conditions with rain belts spreading from west to east at times.

Temperatures will be 0 to 1C below the 1981-2010 average for most of northern and eastern Scotland and eastern England, but around 1C above in parts of Wales and south-west England, thanks to the SW-NE split caused by the high pressure being sat to the south-west of the British Isles and sometimes covering the south-west of the country. Rainfall totals will be below average almost everywhere, markedly so in western England, Northern Ireland, Wales and south-west Scotland, but may reach near-average totals in north-east Scotland. Sunshine will be well above average in western parts of the country, but close to average in the east.

Sounds perfect to me. If this pans out to be the case then I doubt we could really complain.

If around half of us throw in £100 each we can raise at least £6,000,000.

I say we do that, then burn it by the stones for the weather God/Godess on Wednesday morning and garuntee dry weather for the festival.

Who's in?

Could start looking into weather modification/cloud seeding with that kind of money...

Lets not start that again.

Don't seem to be ale to post pictures so:

Rain overnight on Wednesday

Light showers Thursday

Very light showers Friday

Showers Saturday afternoon

Rain Saturday night

Most of the rain is falling while people aren't moving around much

This isn't actually as bad as it sounds.

8.1mm total between gates opening Wednesday and Saturday afternoon. We probably had more than that in an hour last year

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Pilton~7301403/long.html

Where's pedmills? Not enough graphs this morning.

Agreed. on my own personal chart tracking pedmills' popularity, it is a downward trend over the course of the day, and improving about twice a day when he posts a graph - even more so if it says what we want to hear.

Edited by chief_scrutter

Does anybody know what the total rainfall was last year and when?  Would be interesting to see how it compares to that forecast.

I know a man who does.

Pedmills is his name and you'll need to put the bat signal in the sky for him to come.

I get pedmills graphs but this one goes straight over my head..

Could you give a brief explanation of what I'm looking at? 

The GFS runs (from US Met Office) have loads of models which are all slightly different. When they all agree, we can be more confident. The forecast is run from the bold green run. The bold red run is the average. The important bit is that none of the runs show significant rain over the festival.