Coachella

mccdyl001

45 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Coachella's not got a comedy tent then I take it? 

They tried that one year and had a few hours of comedians in one of the small tents. Also had Henry Rollins and John Waters do sets. Had a film festival back in 2004. Used to be more q and a stuff in the early years. 

7 hours ago, stuie said:

Someone tell me if I’m wrong but as I’ve understood it over the years there’s two main stages and some tents, so it’s more like Reading? Is that right? 

Are there any smaller venues/intimate experiences/theatre or anything that makes it more like glasto?

In its current form there are 2 open air stages and 5 tents of various sizes which do cater to diff kinds of music. That does not include the Do Lab or Heineken House which are on the grounds but announce their lineups closer to the fest. In regards to intimacy the Sonora tent is the most up close since its entirely indoors and resembles more of a proper concert venue once you walk in. The Yuma tent is also like that and is essentially a night club. Both of those are air conditioned too. There was the Antarctic Dome which had this 10 minute projection thing you could watch and was curated by an artist playing the festival but supposedly thats off the table this year. Despacio is also there this year which is another night club type venue that 2ManyDjs and James Murphy of Lcd Soundsystem do. The camp grounds have a silent disco at night and other various activities during the weekend. 

So pretty much if there arent 1000 happening at one time then its not a good event.

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Above all they have to cater to the people that have bought tickets.

Not totally. Most tickets get sold in a blind presale in June. ( sounds familiar ) Youre rolling the dice if you buy early. The only year a headliner was known in advance was Beyonce in 2018 and that onsale was rough. So people werent expecting anything outside of Frank Ocean because of covid. So how did Blackpink or Bad Bunny fans know it was going to happen. The one main difference is there is an actual resale market for the festival. We'll see how prices end up at. Right now theyre hovering at face value.

7 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Exactly. It may be a great festival for it's demographic, it may be sunnier, it may get bigger names (sometimes), Occasionally it might have better headliners but it just doesn't have the strength and depth of a festival like Glastonbury. 

I think an interesting argument would be to put the main posters toe to toe and then see how they are. So its about 130 for Glasto on the main stages lineup that pops up when the schedule pops up iirc. This has 160 or so. I mean where its going to be a thing is that coachella has its electronic/dj stuff on the main poster. Glasto doesnt  really place glade, arcadia or any se corner programming on that poster. So there will be a disparity in bands vs dj sort of thing right there. But everyones taste varies anyway. 

9 hours ago, Suprefan said:

The thing that bothers a lot of folks( just internet people ) is that 2 out of 3 headliners dont primarily speak english. 

Or, you know, they just don't like reggaeton or Kpop? Is there really a mass of internet people complaining about people not singing English?

26 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

I think an interesting argument would be to put the main posters toe to toe and then see how they are. So its about 130 for Glasto on the main stages lineup that pops up when the schedule pops up iirc. This has 160 or so. I mean where its going to be a thing is that coachella has its electronic/dj stuff on the main poster. Glasto doesnt  really place glade, arcadia or any se corner programming on that poster. So there will be a disparity in bands vs dj sort of thing right there. But everyones taste varies anyway. 

For me personally it is the strength in depth that Glastonbury has that makes it the Daddy. There are acts that have never appeared on a main poster that have been responsible for some of my favourite moments at the festival. I'm not really into DJ's at Glastonbury or anywhere else so the huge number of those is lost on me at both events. Glad they exist for those who do like it but not a factor for me personally. I like everything from world music to pop to rock to folk to rap and not many places give me an opportunity to experience some of all of the above in one festival. Don't take it so personally there's no other festival in the UK that matches Glastonbury either. As a result of its roots it is just a different beast to all others I know of. Not many festivals have young people, old people, families etc all coming together in the same place and with enough acts to appeal to all those demographics. 

23 minutes ago, clasher said:

Or, you know, they just don't like reggaeton or Kpop? Is there really a mass of internet people complaining about people not singing English?

I would imagine there probably is a section of people who would complain on those grounds although Blackpink sing in English. I'm sure there are many racists etc who would prefer white rockers just like we get over here as well. 

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

In its current form there are 2 open air stages and 5 tents of various sizes which do cater to diff kinds of music. That does not include the Do Lab or Heineken House which are on the grounds but announce their lineups closer to the fest. In regards to intimacy the Sonora tent is the most up close since its entirely indoors and resembles more of a proper concert venue once you walk in. The Yuma tent is also like that and is essentially a night club. Both of those are air conditioned too. There was the Antarctic Dome which had this 10 minute projection thing you could watch and was curated by an artist playing the festival but supposedly thats off the table this year. Despacio is also there this year which is another night club type venue that 2ManyDjs and James Murphy of Lcd Soundsystem do. The camp grounds have a silent disco at night and other various activities during the weekend. 

So pretty much if there arent 1000 happening at one time then its not a good event.

RE: person asking is it just like reading

You basically described it as reading (albeit leeds due to more late night djs). You should have focused on the arts stuff really

sarky comment at the end for no reason to here supre - the question was about intimate experiences / theatre / comedy. your only answer in this regard was a projector dome that isn't there anymore

11 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Coachella literally covered all the bases with a latino act, a korean act and one from the u.s. at the top of the lineup. 

39% of California's population is Latino and there are over 325,000 Koreans living in the Los Angeles area alone. I think it's the very least they could do.

Once again, no one has actually mentioned a single thing they like about bad bunny’s or blackpink’s music, you only talk about sales, streams, the amount of fans or the demographics in certain areas of the US. Convince me they are good headliners with something other than stats 😂 it’s live music at the end of the day, it should make you feel something. There are tonnes of artists that sell incredibly well that you’d think were crap for Glastonbury too

56 minutes ago, Al2006 said:

Once again, no one has actually mentioned a single thing they like about bad bunny’s or blackpink’s music, you only talk about sales, streams, the amount of fans or the demographics in certain areas of the US. Convince me they are good headliners with something other than stats 😂 it’s live music at the end of the day, it should make you feel something. There are tonnes of artists that sell incredibly well that you’d think were crap for Glastonbury too

get @Matt42 to send you some BLACKPINK videos!

7 hours ago, Al2006 said:

Tbf, Bad Bunny is pretty damn critically acclaimed, especially at the rate in which he’s appeared on the scene and released albums (five albums in four years). He’s definitely not gonna be for everyone, especially anybody who’s main interest is guitar music like the majority of this forum, but he’s had a meteoric rise from a nobody to headliner similar to Billie Eilish, which is especially impressive given his music is sung/rapped largely (entirely?) in Spanish. It may seem strange to a lot of us here in the U.K. as he’s not quite broken through yet, but I think that’s gonna happen soon enough. Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him headline Wireless in the near future tbh. 

12 hours ago, gfa said:

RE: person asking is it just like reading

You basically described it as reading (albeit leeds due to more late night djs). You should have focused on the arts stuff really

sarky comment at the end for no reason to here supre - the question was about intimate experiences / theatre / comedy. your only answer in this regard was a projector dome that isn't there anymore

Cant talk about the art because its only for the influencers instagram feeds according to all the haters. I mean if I said they got hippos thats enough right there. Oh and the Spectra Tower is a much better version of the ribbon tower since you spiral walk up it and its air conditioned.  If you want an intimate experience then I guess Outstanding in The Field is that. But for this crowd thats going to sound like the most pretentious thing possible to do at a festival. And Desert X returns to the region which is a month long art event that has installations all around the Coachella Valley. Its a biennial event.

https://outstandinginthefield.com/coachella/

its still funny that the festival is seen as lower tier and just a copy of Reading when they could never get half the stuff that is on an average coachella lineup. Last year they shared 5 acts. Such a carbon copy it seems. This year its 1.

10 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

its still funny that the festival is seen as lower tier and just a copy of Reading when they could never get half the stuff that is on an average coachella lineup. Last year they shared 5 acts. Such a carbon copy it seems. This year its 1.

I only asked a question, put your toys back in.  I just wondered what else they had apart from big stages to try and understand what it's like compared to Glasto. Anyone would think you were a Goldenvoice shareholder! 

6 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Cant talk about the art because its only for the influencers instagram feeds according to all the haters. I mean if I said they got hippos thats enough right there. Oh and the Spectra Tower is a much better version of the ribbon tower since you spiral walk up it and its air conditioned.  If you want an intimate experience then I guess Outstanding in The Field is that. But for this crowd thats going to sound like the most pretentious thing possible to do at a festival. And Desert X returns to the region which is a month long art event that has installations all around the Coachella Valley. Its a biennial event.

https://outstandinginthefield.com/coachella/

I wouldn't say it's a lower tier. Just for the record, Reading isn't a lower tier, it's just booked for a certain market like Coachella is now a lot more than it used to be. They have done well electronically this year though, better than some other years for a while.

The problem sometimes I think with your posts is that your bias of Coachella takes your responses and actions to a non factual/exaggerated account of what's been said. One thing I'll say is though that as an event with anything for night time after acts finish it is fairly poor. You could say not every festival runs until 1pm as standard but then many festival will start by midday and Coachella is comfortably after 1pm each day so if you tracked that back by 1hr/1hr:30 it's equivalent.

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Tbf, Bad Bunny is pretty damn critically acclaimed, especially at the rate in which he’s appeared on the scene and released albums (five albums in four years). He’s definitely not gonna be for everyone, especially anybody who’s main interest is guitar music like the majority of this forum, but he’s had a meteoric rise from a nobody to headliner similar to Billie Eilish, which is especially impressive given his music is sung/rapped largely (entirely?) in Spanish. It may seem strange to a lot of us here in the U.K. as he’s not quite broken through yet, but I think that’s gonna happen soon enough. Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him headline Wireless in the near future tbh. 

Think he's more likely to do a stadium or his own day fest (APE/BST?) before Wireless honestly, curated to be spanish leaning. He would cannibalise weekend ticket sales at Wireless to some extent i think as it would be very different to other days.

46 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I wouldn't say it's a lower tier. Just for the record, Reading isn't a lower tier, it's just booked for a certain market like Coachella is now a lot more than it used to be. They have done well electronically this year though, better than some other years for a while.

Agree with all of this, great dance lineup this year.

Knocked Loose are very decent, i'd be all over them.

And Blackpink, but (quickly googles their ages, sighs in relief) blimey they're quite the ahem, spectacle 😄 very hard not to sound like a colossal pervert there! ah well, mission failed 

37 minutes ago, gfa said:

Think he's more likely to do a stadium or his own day fest (APE/BST?) before Wireless honestly, curated to be spanish leaning. He would cannibalise weekend ticket sales at Wireless to some extent i think as it would be very different to other days.

Agree with all of this, great dance lineup this year.

I honestly walked into Madame Tussauds on holiday in Florida and Bad Bunny was in the artists room. Honestly took me a little bit to think who he was. All the others there very very obvious. But then I saw KSI in one of them too, maybe Blackpool.

26 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I honestly walked into Madame Tussauds on holiday in Florida and Bad Bunny was in the artists room. Honestly took me a little bit to think who he was. All the others there very very obvious. But then I saw KSI in one of them too, maybe Blackpool.

Not sure what your point is here ? spanish and english tourists frequent florida

7 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I'm learning Spanish, definitely don't just like guitar music and I gave Bad Bunny a chance and it just wasn't for me. I'm sure there'll be plenty of Spanish speakers who would feel the same because at the end of the day it's just taste in music. You could get one of the biggest English speaking acts of the moment - say Arctic Monkeys for example and you'll find plenty of people who would say yep they are big enough to headline, undoubtedly a solid booking but I just don't find them especially interesting and I wouldn't want to watch them. Rosalia on the other hand IMO she should be headlining and I really, really hope she pops up at Glastonbury. I just find her music more interesting. 

Given that there's over 41 million Spanish speakers in the US alone it's not that much of a surprise that a Spanish speaking act is popular. It's not surprising that it's harder for them to break the UK because for a start as a nation we are terrible at learning languages and we don't have the US' proximity to many other Spanish speaking countries. 

• Upvote 1