Coachella

mccdyl001

3 hours ago, stanh said:

Huh? Björk is Sunday, Rosalía is subbing BLACKPINK isn't she? Completely missed Adam Beyer though!! 

I definitely wouldn't recommend Idris Elba though, every time I've seen him he has been pretty poor - even videos from his recent sets (such as the one at The BEAMS) looked not great at all.

Sorry, I'm going by the original before Blackpink changed it all.

I wouldn't see Idris because I think it would be good. I'd go for like 15 minutes see see him and leave.

6 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Is there more to it than that? Other stages etc. Like how there are loads of acts at Glastonbury who don't make the poster (even the big version)?

2 more stages to announce and thats closer to the fest. The Do Lab which is another dance stage. ( think the glade but a water park ) and Heineken House. The camp grounds have some dj's for their silent disco and thats it. Whats the issue? Theres 9 stages on the ground and you dint have to walk 20 mins to see somebody else. You can fit in more music overall.

4 hours ago, kalifire said:

Assuming she pushed for more and more $$$, that's RiRi firmly out of the running for Glasto, then. This and any year.

Kind of. But what stinks is that they had been talking to Rihanna since last spring. And then the nfl got in there and she accepted the halftime show which wasnt the best thing since Coach had been trying to get her as an exclusive. Add to that she has a tour in the works and it just couldnt be worked out. Live Nation didnt want to budge on moving the dates to let there be a bigger layoff if she performed in April. Blackpink was just subbing and they moved up. 

Edited by Suprefan

3 hours ago, Suprefan said:

The camp grounds have some dj's for their silent disco and thats it. Whats the issue? Theres 9 stages on the ground and you dint have to walk 20 mins to see somebody else. You can fit in more music overall.

No issue, I'm just interested. Coachella clearly isn't for me and that's fine, I'm very far from the target demographic. A few years back, I'd have been interested in going but not anymore. If that was the Glastonbury line-up, I wouldn't bother with a ticket.

1 hour ago, chazwwe said:

Whats your thoughts?

I really like it. Of course really wanted Rihanna as the cherry on top but it just adds to the list of what ifs that the festival has garnered over the years. For starters having the most minimal of leaks with what they announced is a miracle in itself. There was a whisper about gorillaz last week and nobody thought that was even possible. Getting Prydz to do the Holo show is going to be amazing. Its never been done on the west coast at all and there were rumors a couple years ago of a tour he was gonna come this way so im stoked. Chemicals back at the polo fields is a long time coming and i hope a lot of people get blown away by it cause a lot will have not seen them most likely. Jai Paul doing their first ever shows is just out of nowhere. Whens the last time Labrinth performed? Return of boygenius is exciting. Who thought Blondie would be there or The Breeders just tucked away down low. Lots of undercard like Soul Glo, Los Bitchos, Overmono, Monolink, Gabriels, Ethel Cain, The Linda Lindas, Dannylux, Sudan Archives, Sunset Rollercoaster, Knocked Loose, Saba and whatever else I find via playlist or suggestion.

The thing that bothers a lot of folks( just internet people ) is that 2 out of 3 headliners dont primarily speak english. Blackpink has about 10 songs in english and that includes a track with Dua. But since nobody seems to want to bother its seen as a negative. Bad Bunny has proven just this year alone he belongs at the top. Made more money than Ed Sheeran on tour and half his tour was in arenas with the latter half stadiums. His album outsold Taylor Swift but apparently the requirements are different if youre foreign. The festival is reflecting the world at large with music but all the crying is purists who need guitars and english speaking artists. Sounds eerily familiar. True masterstroke to let the festivals announced this morning have a couple hours to get the news cycle and then get smoked. Worth the extra week even though the true desired result wasnt achieved.

3 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Bjork with a coachella crowd is absolute lead balloon territory. A truly bizarre booking.

Bjork headlined twice before so whats changed? Oddly enough the last time Bjork did a festival in so cal was Fyf 2017 with Frank Ocean also on the lineup. Wanna tell me how itll be not good if people who bought tickets to that will probably be here too? So they end up having 3 former headliners on this thing and its perceived as bad somehow cause we're all apparently just influencers and pretty people that hang at pool parties and dont watch the music. The onsale is gonna be a bloodbath most likely.

10 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

No issue, I'm just interested. Coachella clearly isn't for me and that's fine, I'm very far from the target demographic. A few years back, I'd have been interested in going but not anymore. If that was the Glastonbury line-up, I wouldn't bother with a ticket.

Ok fair enough. Well the livestream should have plenty to watch again. Now the schedule issues begin.

Bjork just sticks out like a sore thumb on that lineup. Im sure any non-influencers that go might enjoy it but theres got to be 50% of people who actually go being “who is bjork?” 

her popularity with 21-28 year olds from LA i cant see being significant! 

also an artist known to play her latest album mainly and bin off all her actual classic songs live. So its bjork’s fault too

she didnt exactly go down a storm at bluedot and thats a small festival in the north of england with an older audience.

it will be a damp squib

Edited by Memory Man

11 hours ago, dreams_burn_down said:
  • Um, Jai Paul? Am I reading this right?? Not a big fan myself, but that's a pretty big get.
  • Knocked Loose are going to be the next hardcore breakout act after Turnstile.

I had to check I wasn't reading the lineup wrong when I saw Jai Paul there. Where on earth did that come from???

On there hardcore front, there's also Scowl and Soul Glo who are both making massive strides at the moment 

8 hours ago, kalifire said:

Assuming she pushed for more and more $$$, that's RiRi firmly out of the running for Glasto, then. This and any year.

Not necessarily. If I were an artist I would be pushing for as much money for myself as possible from commercial sources but would be willing to take less for charities I approved of. If anyone at Glastonbury could convince her that it would be good for their reputation and the worthiness of the charities it could happen still. 

30 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Bjork just sticks out like a sore thumb on that lineup. Im sure any non-influencers that go might enjoy it but theres got to be 50% of people who actually go being “who is bjork?” 

her popularity with 21-28 year olds from LA i cant see being significant! 

also an artist known to play her latest album mainly and bin off all her actual classic songs live. So its bjork’s fault too

she didnt exactly go down a storm at bluedot and thats a small festival in the north of england with an older audience.

it will be a damp squib

Yep I was going to say a greatest hits set from Bjork would be great but that’s not what anyone is going to get. Her performance at Bluedot suggests a complete lack of either understanding or  caring about a festival audience. One of those things that would be amazing for Bjork fan at the Bridgewater Hall but not in a muddy field. 

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Not necessarily. If I were an artist I would be pushing for as much money for myself as possible from commercial sources but would be willing to take less for charities I approved of. If anyone at Glastonbury could convince her that it would be good for their reputation and the worthiness of the charities it could happen still. 

We live in hope.

From what I've seen the Jai Paul inclusion has had one of the biggest reactions. I don't want to be one of those "Never heard of 'em!" people yet here we are.

I've just given him a quick listen and read a bit on Wiki, seems quite the story. How big an act is he in the UK? Where would he be if announced for Glastonbury?

32 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

You dont get paid for the super bowl halftime show btw. You get 15 minutes of free airtime which is valued at about 14 million usd a minute this year. And they pay for production and all that other stuff. Im sure Coachella was willing to give her 10 million and she wouldve likely had a Fenty stall at the fest amongst other things. And maybe even a cut of the Youtube ad revenue stream. Speaking of that its expected the stream is going to maybe crash  on the saturday  cause of Blackpink. K pop acts usually have concerts streamed via pay per view and even then they get loads of traffic. So now a free worldwide one is huge.

19 minutes ago, HamishA. said:

just cannot believe they've managed to get Jai Paul??? Surely one of the biggest music mysteries and could-have-been's performing his debut show? I think it's been 10 years since the album leak as well. I wonder if that means new music coming...

Supposedly new music is coming.

One of the best reactions from the lineup drop. Was cracking up at that.

F7D94B91-F7C4-4A66-B5C5-3B3352CD89BA.jpeg

Edited by Suprefan

1 minute ago, Suprefan said:

You dont get paid for the super bowl halftime show btw. You get 15 minutes of free airtime which is valued at about 14 million usd a minute this year. And they pay for production and all that other stuff. Im sure Coachella was willing to give her 10 million and she wouldve likely had a Fenty stall at the fest amongst other things. And maybe even a cut of the Youtube ad revenue stream. Speaking of that its expected the stream is going to maybe crash  on the saturday  cause of Blackpink. K pop acts usually have concerts streamed via pay per view and even then they get loads of traffic. So now a free worldwide one is huge.

Supposedly new music is coming.

I would still take Glastonbury any day of the week over Coachella. Admittedly the line up for Coachella isn’t aimed at my demographic but that’s why Glastonbury is the Daddy of festivals it covers all bases.