Coachella

mccdyl001

it is ridiculous. certain 'set aside' areas at Coachella that are 'drinking areas' where you can buy drinks but cannot venture outside with your drink. so silly.

stranger still...festival i was at in 2009 called All Points West in NY/NJ...not only a cordoned off drinking area, but a wristband with about 6 'holes' on it that were punched out one by one after each drink you had. Apparently they thought that 6 pints were sufficient for someone to have through a day's worth of music. once you had your holes punched out, you were done unless you could get someone else to limit themselves to fewer than 6.

Oh christ I would be screwed if that was true lol

You can only drink in designated play pens at Coachella - I will never go there simply for this :(

Wow. Ludicrous. Yeah that's put me off too

it is ridiculous. certain 'set aside' areas at Coachella that are 'drinking areas' where you can buy drinks but cannot venture outside with your drink. so silly.

stranger still...festival i was at in 2009 called All Points West in NY/NJ...not only a cordoned off drinking area, but a wristband with about 6 'holes' on it that were punched out one by one after each drink you had. Apparently they thought that 6 pints were sufficient for someone to have through a day's worth of music. once you had your holes punched out, you were done unless you could get someone else to limit themselves to fewer than 6.

6 drinks! Oh my days.

To be honest I've never really fancied a fest abroad. I think there's so many over here to go too that are ace, seems silly for me to go abroad for one. Just my thoughts. Coachella is not really changing my mind on that

I mean it has no sort of feeling of a fairytale-like 'away from the normal world' thing you get at any festival in Europe (and I include the UK in that term) when you just wander around in a daze for a weekend having the best fun of your life.

Nice description, this is a large part of what I go to festivals for. Normal life is suspended for a few days and everyone lives to a different set of social norms within the confines. As every festival has a different audience that feeling varies from festival to festival (and from year to year as audiences evolve), which leads to a really varied experience being available.

I'd be interested in a US festival if only to see how that works for an entirely different culture than I'm used to. Coachella always came across as too much of a pre-packaged, sanitised version of such an event for my taste. Really interested to see people's opinions and experiences.

i found that the adjacent 'shed-like' stages were far too close, in addition to being too close to the second main stage, that you could hear stuff from other stage especially if you were at back of the shed. and the shape of the 'top' sort of ruined the lighting inside them, especially on a bright sunny day if you were lingered at back of a shed. i found it hard to sometimes make out the musicians on stage, and just generally didn't find i enjoyed sets in those 'sheds'.

yes, the parking situation was ridiculous. they wanted to fill up the faraway spots first.

I think Bonnaroo is fine for a US festival though. they try their best.

I guess it comes down to different experiences. I saw a couple of sets inside the tents, Johnny Marr and Jake Bugg to note and it was fine to me. Also New Order seemed fine.

I think if they thought logically and did the sooner you arrive, the closer you camp it'd be so much better, it was great at Coachella when we realized our car was a minute walk from the entrance! :). Weather wise it sounds like you would still need to take wellies to Bonnaroo and that side of dessert the humidity factor is worse?

I mean it has no sort of feeling of a fairytale-like 'away from the normal world' thing you get at any festival in Europe (and I include the UK in that term) when you just wander around in a daze for a weekend having the best fun of your life.

It just feels like you're in the desert watching some bands play while people take selfies next to you. And you can't even get a beer in your hand while you stand there.

That's not correct really is it?!, if we're including the UK then Reading is about the closest it gets to a gig in a field I know of, there is no fairytale-like thing to it lol, 10 min walk one way and you're walking into Reading town center lol. It is probably the biggest young persons selfie taking event behind V Fest now lol, and T probably joins it quite close!, they do have crowds though that set a normal festival crowd apart!

You're telling me that when the sun sets over the mountains at Coachella in the distance and all the trees around light up as well is a normal process?

How comes you can't have a beer while you're watching bands? This seems preposterous to me.

I'm fairly sure there is a law that goes with it as well, people forget this when it's just straight seemed as shocking not to be able to do this. This law, whatever it comes under isn't enforced within the Tennesse area.

Coachella can do one and so can people saying that it comes close. Not that I've been to both, but I wouldn't want to go.

The lineup this year bar AC/DC seems pretty substandard. Definitely not the strength and depth as Glastonbury.

Having been to both, there is a vast difference but what festival worldwide except for Glasto is there with virtually no drinking rules?

The lineup is substandard this year you are right. It has not always been that way though, the depth it has had previously over the years has been staggering sometimes, not even being biased but I do feel I got the best year I could based on buying into it kind of like I would Glasto.

I'm always interested in this because people at Glastonbury will ask me about Coachella when hearing my American accent. I've never been but I'm sure the person who has been to both and posted about it earlier in the thread hit the nail on the head. I don't really have much desire to go. As has been covered, all of the music ends early, there are the drinking pens, etc. The only good things are the lineup and the weather, but within the last couple of years there were actually bad dust storms which sort of put a damper on friends of mines time.

The cool thing about Bonnaroo is that around midnight, it's almost like a whole new day starts because you have bands playing late night sets until 4 am. The stages are a bit close together yes, but that gives you the opportunity to jump back forth from one set to the other. Having said that, it does not even come close to touching the Southeast corner, and the rest of the general atmosphere of Glastonbury. It's also hot, dusty, and in the middle of nowhere.

For anyone coming over from Europe for a festival I would recommend Sasquatch. The atmosphere and rules aspect are shit, but the lineup is always on point, sort of like a more scaled down Primavera in terms of lineup. Plus, there's this:

130524-27.mst_.Sasquatch130041.jpg

Or if you are into electronic/psychedelic/jam/drugs, then Electric Forest festival, which has a tripped out forest as part of its grounds that is worth the price of admission alone:

feature-01.jpg

You could also just go to a concert at Red Rocks as part of a bigger trip

red-rocks-concert.jpg

Or just go to one of the city-based festivals - Lollapallooza or Governors Ball, going to see the music and experience a new city, rather than a festival-type experience.

I mean it in the terms of they book bands like AC/DC, Radiohead, Atoms For Peace, Sigur Ros, The Stone Roses etc and they get tiny or minimal crowds because a large number of the attendees are going for completely different reasons. That a huge chunk of the attendees go for the EDM acts like Axwell^Ingrosso, Calvin Harris etc... The bands aren't even on their radar. I say it in the sense that it's a festival that heavily encourages people to take selfies, have their phones on them all the time and advertise as much as possible.

The fact I said it was Glastonbury attended by Vfestival and Creamfields goers is because majority of the attendees do not give a shit that bands such as AC/DC and Jack White are booked. They go for the EDM.

Sorry but, the tiny crowds were only for the Stone Roses. The Stone Roses simply did not have the same impact here (US) as they did in the UK. No way in hell would there be a tiny crowd for Radiohead, Sigur Ros, etc. Also, I know someone who goes every year and her and her group are not at all interested in EDM. It's also just funny that you mention the selfie thing because they actually banned 'selfie sticks' this year. As far as encouraging people to have their phones on them at all times, Glastonbury has an app, charging tents, etc.

Coachella can do one and so can people saying that it comes close. Not that I've been to both, but I wouldn't want to go.

The lineup this year bar AC/DC seems pretty substandard. Definitely not the strength and depth as Glastonbury.

having watched the livestream for the last few years i have to say there has been some great acts on.

I'm always interested in this because people at Glastonbury will ask me about Coachella when hearing my American accent. I've never been but I'm sure the person who has been to both and posted about it earlier in the thread hit the nail on the head. I don't really have much desire to go. As has been covered, all of the music ends early, there are the drinking pens, etc. The only good things are the lineup and the weather, but within the last couple of years there were actually bad dust storms which sort of put a damper on friends of mines time.

The cool thing about Bonnaroo is that around midnight, it's almost like a whole new day starts because you have bands playing late night sets until 4 am. The stages are a bit close together yes, but that gives you the opportunity to jump back forth from one set to the other. Having said that, it does not even come close to touching the Southeast corner, and the rest of the general atmosphere of Glastonbury. It's also hot, dusty, and in the middle of nowhere.

I meant to say earlier one of the things that stops me going to Bonnaroo or giving it some deep thought is that the main header each night plays unopposed so you're buggered if you don't like them and that whole thing that goes on until 3/4am, judging by the acts that do that it's very much an acquired taste. There is that guy who has made video's about breaking into a lot of different festivals including Bonnaroo, Coachella and Glastonbury and while he enjoyed aspects of all 3, his favorite was Glastonbury and he's an American. Both groups we were camped around hadn't even heard of Glastonbury.

Edited by thewayiam

I actually think that was me you were talking to.

Bloody small world! I'm the British gf Joe speaks of. That night seeing Blur was incredible..couldn't believe how close we got just wandering up, but I did read the other day that it's unlikely they'll tour the US based on a few very lukewarm responses, so that's a shame.

Anyway, thanks for revolutionising our Coachella drinking!

Just to add to add to whatever everyone else has been saying. Coachella is definitely more of a gig in a field than a festival in the Glasto or European sense. It's an incredibly beautiful setting, but there is really very little in the way of spirit or soul to it, I think that's partly due to folks having very different experiences. When I talk to people who stay in nice hotels or condos and stay poolside until 5pm, it seems like a totally different experience than going into the arena each day from a sweaty tent in a car park (no 'we're all in it together' vibe). I'm probably not going to phrase this particularly well, but I think there is a considerable downside to 'H&M does Coachella' and all that crap..personally, I think not caring what you look like or if your outfit is Instagram-worthy goes a long way to generating a laid back, fun atmosphere. The fact that the culture that is being generated there is one of aesthetics makes for an odd vibe..and a lot of jorts being consumed by butt cracks.

Note: of course, those are all sweeping generalisations.

I also gave Bonnaroo a go and I didn't find it to be much better, the people did seem to be friendlier though and it felt a little less corporate. The Bonnaroo comparison to Glasto is fairer than the Coachella one..but it's still worlds apart.

I meant to say earlier one of the things that stops me going to Bonnaroo or giving it some deep thought is that the main header each night plays unopposed so you're buggered if you don't like them and that whole thing that goes on until 3/4am, judging by the acts that do that it's very much an acquired taste. There is that guy who has made video's about breaking into a lot of different festivals including Bonnaroo, Coachella and Glastonbury and while he enjoyed aspects of all 3, his favorite was Glastonbury and he's an American. Both groups we were camped around hadn't even heard of Glastonbury.

Yes the times I went the headliner played unopposed, but there is actually something cool to that in my eyes - the whole festival is there watching, all eyes on the headliner. Afterwards though, everything is back on elsewhere and there are around 4-5 stages at least going on - looking at Saturday for instance last year, at midnight you could go see The Flaming Lips, Frank Ocean, Nick Cave, or Skrillex.

Yes the times I went the headliner played unopposed, but there is actually something cool to that in my eyes - the whole festival is there watching, all eyes on the headliner. Afterwards though, everything is back on elsewhere and there are around 4-5 stages at least going on - looking at Saturday for instance last year, at midnight you could go see The Flaming Lips, Frank Ocean, Nick Cave, or Skrillex.

You know that acquired taste bit lol. None of those appeal in the slightest.

Quality post punkrawkjoe, thanks :)

The idea of basically camping in a big car park always seemed strange to me. It's all laid out in avenues or blocks as well, right?

Sometimes though when trying a find somewhere to pitch up after waiting in a queue for for hours , I've thought some sort of system like this would be ideal as you walk past a bunch of 5 man tents with one person in them :P

I bet you could easily make the same video with some of the airhead Glastonbury goers. There are tens of thousands who look exactly like them, and are equally vacuous, let's not kid ourselves.

Yup, alot of the comments about Coachella, would apply to Glastonbury around the main stages at least, sadly. Maybe more so to an extent.

I think the lineup seems decent most years, even if they seem to have spent all their money on AC/DC this year. It makes for an entertaining live stream before festival season kicks off over here. I've picked out a few different acts over the years that I've really wanted to see at Glastonbury, fell in love with Arcade Fire watching their set.

I'd like to go one year just to experience it, not constantly having a drink at within arms reach might be a fun experience to :P

Hozier has just brought the HAIM girls on stage, so imagine if he's playing and they are there (playing or not - they love glasto and I can imagine they'd wish to attend) it may be a possible guest appearance

do not know why I posted this, it's nearly 3am and i'm still not done with all my essays :(

what's even more mental about this is that blunt wraps aren't banned. i had no issue taking them in or out of the festival (i was staying outside the fence).

It was a few years ago and I was genuinely worried about any parfanalia being found and triggering a more intense search.

You live & learn

...what festival worldwide except for Glasto is there with virtually no drinking rules?.

Not being able to take in your own booze is one thing (and there is more than one that allow you to do that) but not allowing you to drink whilst watching a band is another entirely.

I've been to festivals in four different countries outside the UK an never had a problem.